Anyone's Travel Plans Messed Up with Grounding of the MAX8?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Darcy03231, Mar 14, 2019 at 2:40 PM.

  1. Darcy03231

    Darcy03231 DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2006
    Messages:
    10,014
    Looks like ours might be. Instead of a one stop flight ours may become a two stop flight. If that happens we'll have to leave a day early on an overnight flight and come back a day later on another overnight flight. Unfortunately, there's no way to make the flights all work in one day without the non-stop into Miami. We still have a couple of weeks so I'm not rushing to change flights over. I'm hoping they're going to just keep the schedule with a different plane.
     
  2. otten

    otten DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2015
    Messages:
    693
    I really doubt we're going to see a huge impact on travel plans that are weeks out. Over the next few days while the airlines scramble yes but within a couple weeks I think the airline schedulers will have figured out the puzzle.

    I suspect that all the panicked people calling the airlines about flights that are several days to weeks in the future are just making it worse. Airlines swap out aircraft regularly either do to maintenance needs, scheduling issues or passenger volume. This is a larger scale than usual but in the grand scheme it's actually a really small number of planes.

    Now if they needed to ground the airbus320 or the 737-800 that would be a disaster.
     
    Searc likes this.
  3. Avatar

    Advertisement


  4. Bowen9475

    Bowen9475 DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2002
    Messages:
    1,589
    My daughter’s plans were affected. She’s flying Southwest on Saturday with a college group to Disney to participate in the Disney Youth Education College Program. Their group of 20 students and 2 chaperones were scheduled to fly out of Providence Saturday morning. Today they found out they couldn’t leave on their original itinerary. One of the chaperones worked with Southwest and they are now flying out of Hartford. They had to split up over two different flights though. Luckily, they’re still able to fly on Saturday but unfortunately, the second group will get 5 hours less in Disney.
     
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 8:45 PM
  5. NYCgrrl

    NYCgrrl DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2017
    Messages:
    4,448
    Ouch for the ride from Providence to Hartford. Will they be busing it together or does everyone have to get to CT under their own steam?
     
  6. Bowen9475

    Bowen9475 DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2002
    Messages:
    1,589
    They’re actually meeting at the college and going to the airport by shuttle. Each group has its own shuttle. We are in central MA.
     
    NYCgrrl likes this.
  7. Darcy03231

    Darcy03231 DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2006
    Messages:
    10,014
    Oh, that's too bad.

    I'm just waiting to see what American does. Right now the schedule is still the same and listing a MAX8 as the aircraft. Luckily I bought travel insurance so if they cancel our flight and we have to do the overnight flights I'll be able to turn in my hotel and meals receipts and get some money back.
     
  8. AlohaNow

    AlohaNow Just keep swimming...

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2008
    Messages:
    873
    Umm, I didn't think so until this morning. Our SW outbound to PHL for Tuesday was just cancelled this morning. Man, you have to act fast if that happens! I was able to rebook us on a flight out the next day, so we lose a day there. We're just going to visit family, but still. We'll have to change planes in Nashville, and we haven't changed planes in years! So, so spoiled. Seats still show as available for our Saturday return flight, but I wonder if SW is doing 'rolling' cancellations due to the elasticity of the situation and we'll find out three days before that our return flight is cancelled! Only time will tell.
     
  9. Darcy03231

    Darcy03231 DIS Veteran

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2006
    Messages:
    10,014
    A co-worker was scheduled to come home on Saturday via Southwest on a MAX8. His flight was canceled and rebooked for Sunday, that flight was canceled and he was rebooked for today and he's just found out that flight has been canceled. He's finally given up and is flying home later today on JetBlue.
     

Share This Page