Anyone worried about Jaleo?

mmackeymouse

DIS Veteran
Last I've read/heard, Jaleo is still re-evaluating when they can open, based on when it would be safe to open.

From what I've seen, their other locations went through multiple phases, which I would expect to be the same for Disney Springs as well. But, without them even putting a date on the first phase of it, it could be weeks, maybe even months before they re-open.

Anyone worried that, with the spike in Florida, Jaleo could be a very long time from opening?

I don’t see it opening anytime soon, which is disappointing but I can understand Chef Andres wanting you keep his people healthy. We had hoped to go when at Disney next week but obviously that’s not happening.

Last I've read/heard, Jaleo is still re-evaluating when they can open, based on when it would be safe to open.

From what I've seen, their other locations went through multiple phases, which I would expect to be the same for Disney Springs as well. But, without them even putting a date on the first phase of it, it could be weeks, maybe even months before they re-open.

Anyone worried that, with the spike in Florida, Jaleo could be a very long time from opening?
If I were to make a guess.....in addition to erring on the side of abundance-of-caution.......

Chef Anders is more concerned with continuing his helping all the people who work in restaurants that have been negatively impacted by the pandemic.

His nonprofit is not only serving food to the needy, he is utilizing both the restaurants and workers from these restaurants to make & serve some of those nonprofit meals.

For those who might be interested: #ChefsforAmerica or https://wck.org

He is a class act.

I have no doubt he is a lovely guy.

And, I respect his decision to run his private company the way he chooses to. If they want to open, I respect it. If they want to delay, I respect it.

That said, I think they should show a little respect as well, considering there are people whose jobs are on the line, and people who are planning vacations/anniversaries/special occasions and what not. I am not saying WHAT they have to say. I am just saying it would be nice if they came out and said SOMETHING.

Whether that's that they won't be opening till November 1st....or Summer 2021....or until positive cases in Florida stabilize....something would be better than nothing.

I have no doubt he is a lovely guy.

And, I respect his decision to run his private company the way he chooses to. If they want to open, I respect it. If they want to delay, I respect it.

That said, I think they should show a little respect as well, considering there are people whose jobs are on the line, and people who are planning vacations/anniversaries/special occasions and what not. I am not saying WHAT they have to say. I am just saying it would be nice if they came out and said SOMETHING.

Whether that's that they won't be opening till November 1st....or Summer 2021....or until positive cases in Florida stabilize....something would be better than nothing.
Except Chef Andres is keeping many of his workers employed with making food and distributing it free to healthcare workers in Orlando, as well as others that need food relief.

While his restaurant isn’t open for the public, they *are* working and doing things for the community.

https://insidethemagic.net/2020/04/jaleo-donating-meals-rwb1/

I like that Jose Andres is so community minded and seems to be taking care of his employees that's why despite never eating there I bought one of the gift cards that were for sale in March/April since the funds were supposed to help employees. Now I just hope it opens so I can use the gift card in either August or November when I go.

Except Chef Andres is keeping many of his workers employed with making food and distributing it free to healthcare workers in Orlando, as well as others that need food relief.

While his restaurant isn’t open for the public, they *are* working and doing things for the community.

https://insidethemagic.net/2020/04/jaleo-donating-meals-rwb1/

Again, that's lovely. I am glad he is taking care of his workers and those that need food relief. That said, I don't think one precludes the other. He can commit to helping relief efforts AND give people a time frame that they are looking to re-open. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Again, without sounding like a brat, people are planning vacations and making ADRs and planning special occasions...I really don't think it's too much to ask for them to at least put some information out there.

I like that Jose Andres is so community minded and seems to be taking care of his employees that's why despite never eating there I bought one of the gift cards that were for sale in March/April since the funds were supposed to help employees. Now I just hope it opens so I can use the gift card in either August or November when I go.

We are the same. I am hoping for November, but if not, then maybe our trip summer 2021.

Again, that's lovely. I am glad he is taking care of his workers and those that need food relief. That said, I don't think one precludes the other. He can commit to helping relief efforts AND give people a time frame that they are looking to re-open. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Again, without sounding like a brat, people are planning vacations and making ADRs and planning special occasions...I really don't think it's too much to ask for them to at least put some information out there.

I don't see Florida giving anyone the courteous of saying when their numbers are going to come down to a reasonable level. I'm in Texas, and we are just as bad. I don't see why Jose Andres has to say anything other than closed until further notice. Book a place that's open now. There are a lot of good restaurants at DS that want your business. You can try to rebook if Jaleo does reopen for your trip.

As others have said, Chef Andres is working hard to keep people in need fed and lots of his restaurant sites are used to help facilitate this. Just last week he connected with an organization helping to keep international CRP participants still stuck in Orlando fed and noted he could feed them via Jaleo. The work he is doing and the commitment he has to the safety of his workforce is far more impressive to me than opening up none in the just because he can.

My advice would be to just assume the restaurant is closed for whenever your trip is and be pleasantly surprised if it reopens before that rather than stressing out trying to work your trip plan around whether or not it will be open. There are plenty of Disney run restaurants that are still closed with no ETA on reopening and I would say the same about them.

My advice would be to just assume the restaurant is closed for whenever your trip is and be pleasantly surprised if it reopens before that rather than stressing out trying to work your trip plan around whether or not it will be open. There are plenty of Disney run restaurants that are still closed with no ETA on reopening and I would say the same about them.

This is true, although I would consider Disney Springs a little bit of a different beast. Most of the restaurants there are open and have been open for quite a while. The Disney-ran restaurants that are closed are directly tied toward a reduced capacity in park attendance and resort attendance. Plus Disney has come out and said that additional restaurants will open as the capacity and need for it increases. Also, many restaurants that have remained closed are indoor-only locations, whereas Jaleo has a substantial outdoor seating option, which seems like it would actually be pretty ideal for the current situation.

I'd also point out that as much great work as Chef Andres has been doing, his other Jaleo locations, most of them anyway, have opened and been open for a little bit. Like I said, I don't think those two things preclude each other. He can do his philanthropic work and open up the DS location...I don't really see how it has to be one or the other.

All that said, I think my original point to this post was out of fear that this could be a permanent closure. Not intentionally permanent, but one of those things that.....Chef Andres decides to postpone opening till Summer 2021....but for financial/leasing/DS reasons, that postponement, isn't a possibility so he is forced to close, or he chooses to close.

I'm glad Jaleo is reopening but it was the day after we left! I guess I'll have to use my gift card in November.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter