Anyone work just during the holiday season?

lisaross

DIS Veteran
I'm thinking of doing this perhaps at Kohls, Macys or JCPenny!

If you've done this, where and how much an hour? what kind of hours did your work?

I'm thinking of doing 1 or 2 times during the day (9:30 - 1:30) and maybe one evening and 1 day on the weekend.

just wanted to get your feedback. and when does the holiday season actually start and end?

lisa

not me, but a co-worker did every year. she based her choice of employers first on who would accommodate the hours/days she wanted to work, and then on who offered the best 'perk' to seasonal employees (her fav. was one that rewarded seasonals who had'nt missed any shifts with a $100 gift certificate timed right before they did their big price cuts-which they allowed the seasonal staff to use their employee discounts on top of).

Bumping this up because I'm curious about the replies too. Is the time working/craziness of the holiday season worth picking up extra hours & discounts? I would love to earn some extra $ but not sure if pays well enough to contribute $ w/o just spending it all on store purchases.

Hope someone with experience can give their opinion. Thanks for asking OP!!

About 8 years ago, I was laid off in September, so I went and got a retail job while I job hunted. I was looking for the best paying and I wasn't necessarily considered seasonal (didn't tell them I was job hunting). At that time, I checked out Kohls (they didn't even call me), Bed Bath and Beyond (offered around $8/hr) and Dillards (who 1st offered around $10 and finally gave me $11/hr). So I went with Dillards, their hours kind of sucked, but the money was decent for retail (in my opinion). Towards the holidays they started wanting me there at 7 am or something super early like that. The worst part was that you had to be buzzed in and on several occassions I had to stand in the cold forever before someone let me in since hardly anyone was there for the super early opening.

I work for a school district. I have a 9 month position. For the summer I'm working at Subway. It's only $6.50/hour which sucks, but, it is fun and for every 4 hour shift you get a free 6 inch sub and chips. Not much, but like I said it is fun.

My sister worked at Yankee Candle for the holidays one year. She made $7-8 an hour plus 50% discount off their candles. That rocked! She loved it.

The only advice I have is to start looking the beginning of Oct, and make sure you aren't planning any vacations between Thanksgiving and New Year's. Especially the day after Thanksgiving, and the day after Christmas.

rparmfamily said:
My sister worked at Yankee Candle for the holidays one year. She made $7-8 an hour plus 50% discount off their candles. That rocked! She loved it.

The only advice I have is to start looking the beginning of Oct, and make sure you aren't planning any vacations between Thanksgiving and New Year's. Especially the day after Thanksgiving, and the day after Christmas.

Yankee Candle would be an awesome place to work.. I love that store!! I love walking in there just to smell the candles.. :love:

I've worked at JCPenny's during the holiday seaon, but I was a year-round employee. I loved using the great discounts for gifts, I could buy more, lol.
The hours can get long, so make sure that they know when they hire you, that you can only work particular hours. Retail stores (or some that I've heard about) will typically schedule you whenever and wherever they need you during these times, unless you stick to your guns. I was in high school at the time, and I used that as my excuse why I could not work wacky hours. :rolleyes1

I liked it though, and granted this was 7 years ago, I made $6.50 an hour. It was tons of fun! :thumbsup2

OK, I'm going to add my opinion here but if you want specific details you will need to PM me. As a former teacher I worked a seasonal job every year until my oldest son was born. With a college degree I made about $1 over minimum wage and I'm not a huge shopper. the discounts helped to purchase holiday gifts and such, but the money sucked for the hours I had to put in. Before I get to my main point, let me point out that in todays economy there are hundreds of applicants for every job and quite honestly, the more you require (flexible schedule, minimum hours, pay rate) the more unlikely you will receive the job. Sooo...

What about a job where you are in charge of when you work and you would make 3X as much as working retail? The job I have is fun and flexible. I work when I want to work, it didn't cost me anything to get started, and I make on average about $35 an hour. I also receive a 50% discount on my product (candles and home decor accessories) and I receive free gifts throughout the year. This is my "full-time" job throughout the year but I have many friends who only work August - December for the extra cash and this is the busiest time in our business.

Like I said, if you want specifics you'll have to PM me, I don't think I'm allowed to give the specifics on the general board b/c it's advertising or something. But... you should definitely know that there is a much better life out there for anyone who wants a flexible and lucrative opportunity without spending a dime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter