Anyone willing to take a chance on new deposit with kids on trip?

goodcat

Earning My Ears
I am thinking of placing a deposit on a trip to Europe. However, PIF is 90 days before (so end of spring). I would be travelling with 15 yo, who I hope will be vaccinated by the summer. I am on Pfizer #2 shot and very nearly "fully" vaccinated. Would anyone consider placing a deposit in these circumstances?

Also, I am confused by the changes in the ABD insurance. If I am not able to bring my kid into the country due to Covid restrictions, would be 100% covered for refund?

I haven't seen the new ABD policy, but I doubt it would cover not being able to bring your child into the country due to Covid restrictions, unless it has a "cancel for any reason" clause. The only Covid coverage I've seen on any trip insurance is if you or a member of your party actually catches Covid-19, and you have to cancel because the person is too sick to travel. Then it would be the normal medical coverage.

I'd contact ABD and ask them for sure, or contact the insurance company that provides the ABD policies these days.

Honestly, I don't see how ABD could run a tour if certain members of the tour are ineligible to enter the country at the time due to Covid-19. I would think they'd need to cancel or give you a full refund or something of that nature. They can't run a family trip to a location only Adults can go to.

Sayhello

ETA: So the current ABD policy *does* have "Cancel for any Reason" coverage, which, like DCL, is actually separate from the ABD Travel Protection plan. If you purchase the ABD Travel Protection Plan, you get this extra coverage from ABD.

New! Cancel For Any Reason Travel Credit Feature
Provided by Adventures by Disney (non-insurance services)

Adventures by Disney has enhanced the Vacation Protection Plan with the addition of our Cancel For Any Reason Travel Credit Feature. Available at any time up until departure, if you need to cancel for a reason not covered under the terms of the Vacation Protection Plan, Adventures by Disney will provide a travel credit equal to 75% of the pre-paid non-refundable cancellation fees so that you may travel at a later date.

So you will not get a refund if you had to cancel due to your 15 year old not being able to travel due to Covid-19 restrictions, but you would get a 75% future travel credit.

I *really* would ask ABD what their policy is if the country you are planning to go to won't allow you or someone in your party into the country due to COVID-19. Again, I can't see how they wouldn't have to cancel or offer you a full refund. But that has nothing to do with the insurance.

Last edited:
As pointed out
I am thinking of placing a deposit on a trip to Europe. However, PIF is 90 days before (so end of spring). I would be travelling with 15 yo, who I hope will be vaccinated by the summer. I am on Pfizer #2 shot and very nearly "fully" vaccinated. Would anyone consider placing a deposit in these circumstances?

Also, I am confused by the changes in the ABD insurance. If I am not able to bring my kid into the country due to Covid restrictions, would be 100% covered for refund?

As pointed out ........ think again about travelling to Europe till at least September 2021.

We are in Strict Lockdown Travel is in a 2 mile radius of home .

Most of Europe is also Strict Lockdown & NO Travel is allowed Between Countries

Even if you Do Travel from USA you Might not be allowed in UNLESS you

have correct Papers showing you are an Essential Worker.
[

Note neither of the current vaccinations are approved for 15 year olds. Pfizer is approved for 16 and up, Moderna 18 and up. Pfizer has started a clinical trial for ages 12 - 15 but would not expect authorization for the use of the vaccine for those age groups by summer time. I don't recommend you proceed with booking on the assumption your 15 year old could be vaccinated, unless he/she turns 16 before summer.

Depending on whose predictions you read, it seems like there is a realistic chance the pandemic will be over by summer. Given the lack of an approved vaccine for kids, we are basically assuming that we are waiting for the pandemic end -- rather than a vaccine for my son -- in order to travel. With that in mind, I am personally not booking any travel now unless I get a confirmation in writing that I will get a full refund if anyone in my family cannot travel due to covid travel restrictions. I think it's worth asking ABD about this because I have found that a lot of travel providers are willing to make that promise as they are otherwise not getting any bookings. In summary, I agree with sayhello that this seems like the sort of thing ABD would have to make some sort of allowance for and so I think it is worth asking them (and getting in writing whatever promise they make so that there is no risk of a misunderstanding).

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments. News came out today that U.S. Pfizer vaccine supplies are exhausted and one of the factories in Europe is closing for renovations. Until there is more vaccine available, I think I will follow all the good advice and stay home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter