Anyone will cancel a refundable vacation for potential Ebola threat?

Cancel a refundable vacation?

• Cancel the trip only if a case is identified in FL, or there are more out-breaks across the country.

• Cancel the trip right now

• Won't cancel even if a case is identified in FL, or there are more outbreaks across the country

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

marathon

Mouseketeer
Didn't want to bring up unnecessary fear here. But we have a fully refundable WDW vacation planned(air from Milwaukee to Orlando on SouthWest, hotel and car, all booked in refundable terms separately) for thanksgiving week. The whole Ebola thing really concerns me, especially with 3rd case identified in Dallas area, and that nurse was on a flight right before her symptoms broke out http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/15/health/texas-ebola-outbreak/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Apparently human beings currently don't have any proven effective drug or vaccine for this yet with a high fatality rate. We know only limited about how it could spread, but nothing is rock-solid and that theory has changed as it progressed.

So what would you do in this scenario?

A. Cancel the trip only if a case is identified in FL, or there are more out-breaks across the country.
B. Cancel the trip right now
C. Won't cancel trip at all just for this concern.

Emotionally I guess I will be sad but not too sad if we ended up not going, granted that I have done a lot of planning. I enjoyed planning itself anyway. We just went in Aug, just wanted to experience Holiday season for the first time. But the risk is so big as things progress everyday now. I will watch the follow up for that flight from OH to Dallas closely.

Didn't want to bring up unnecessary fear here. But we have a fully refundable WDW vacation planned(air from Milwaukee to Orlando on SouthWest, hotel and car) for thanksgiving week. The whole Ebola thing really concerns me, especially with 3rd case identified in Dallas area, and that nurse was on a flight right before her symptoms broke out http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/15/health/texas-ebola-outbreak/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Apparently human beings currently don't know very clearly how it could spread, and how easily that would happen, and no proven effective drug or vaccine yet with a high fatality rate.

A. Cancel the trip only if a case is identified in FL, or there are more out-breaks across the country.

Emotionally I guess I will be sad but not too sad if we ended up not going, granted that I have done a lot of planning. I enjoyed planning itself anyway. We just went in Aug, just wanted to experience Holiday season for the first time. But the risk is so big as things progress everyday now. I will watch the follow up for that flight from OH to Dallas closely.

I wouldn't cancel at all. Trip insurance is very specific on what it will cover. Fear about catching Ebola more than likely isn't one of them.

We are watching it closely.. at first I was like 'its all good' but then this second nurse is positive AND she was on that Cleveland flight.. We will find out soon enough how rapid this thing will spread.. If it isn't widespread and only with these cases along with a couple others we will probably end up going... our trip is first week of Dec.

I will not cancel. I am not worried. I do believe they know how it's spread. Considering we are talking about cases contracted in the hospital that didn't even properly diagnose the first case correctly I am, sadly, not surprised at all to find they had workers contact the disease. What is happening there is of no impact on my trip to Disney.

Didn't want to bring up unnecessary fear here. But we have a fully refundable WDW vacation planned(air from Milwaukee to Orlando on SouthWest, hotel and car) for thanksgiving week. The whole Ebola thing really concerns me, especially with 3rd case identified in Dallas area, and that nurse was on a flight right before her symptoms broke out http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/15/health/texas-ebola-outbreak/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Apparently human beings currently don't know very clearly how it could spread, and how easily that would happen, and no proven effective drug or vaccine yet with a high fatality rate.

I'm not going to cancel.

Heck I'm in more danger at work than at WDW.

(public librarian at a branch next to a university with a HIGH rate of international students including Africa. Probably have a dozen or so in here a day)

I can't live "what if". Hell with all the disease, terrorism, violence and general danger in the world if I play what if I might be alive but what kind of life is hiding in your house.

I will disinfect a little more (I do anyway), but not canceling a trip. Hurricane maybe, tiny chance of catching Ebola no.

As far as I can tell from reading, it is really not that contagious, yet. It is not airborne, so being on a plane with an actively infected person has a low risk. You need to have direct contact with the sick person or their fluids (such as those medical personnel in TX). And that person needs to be showing symptoms. They are not contagious until they are actually sick (which is rare for most illness). If that person directly coughs on you, you are at risk. I personally don't come close enough to strangers to let them cough on me, even when flying.
My fear is not this strain, but one that does become airborne. If that happens, life will become VERY different for our family.

I wouldn't cancel. We live in the DFW area and I felt perfectly safe going to Dallas two weekends ago to visit the State Fair. I get the concern, but would you lock yourself in your house if a case of Ebola was found in the town you live in?

I get the urge to be cautious, but I am not going to alter my life because 3 people caught a horrible disease.

TXPyroMom said:
I wouldn't cancel. We live in the DFW area and I felt perfectly safe going to Dallas two weekends ago to visit the State Fair. I get the concern, but would you lock yourself in your house if a case of Ebola was found in the town you live in?

I get the urge to be cautious, but I am not going to alter my life because 3 people caught a horrible disease.

To answer your question, yes. If my hometown had cases of Ebola, we would home school the kids and barricade that #$%&@.

In general I won't cancel unless we reach zombie like epidemic levels. But if it did, I'd cancel.

Not to be morbid, but to put things in perspective....more people have been killed in car accidents today than have had the ebola virus in the US.

Hardest Hidden Mickey to find evah

17muss30j51zljpg.jpg

In general I won't cancel unless we reach zombie like epidemic levels. But if it did, I'd cancel.

thats where I'm pretty much at.. with this lady being on the plane we will see how quickly this can spread easily.. i doubt it though.. Infected #1 walked into the hospital sicker than a dog and touched all kinds of people and doors and no one is positive from that situation..

Just to make things clear for everyone. Ebola is not a new disease and the way it spreads is not up in the air by any means. Skin to skin contact with a person showing symptoms (they MUST be showing symptoms...they are not contagious during incubation) gives you a small chance to catch it. Contact with body fluids gives you a much higher chance to catch it.

Ebola is an extremely dangerous disease, but it is not very contagious since it is not airborne. To live in fear of catching it isn't worth your time. There are so many other ways to get injured or harmed in someway on a trip that contracting Ebola shouldn't even be on the back of your mind.

I wouldn't let it keep me from a visit to most places in developed countries with modern medical facilities and sewage treatmeent.

No more than I would cancel if someone in Florida has the flu, which could kill on the order of 10,000 Americans this year.

No more than I would cancel if someone in Florida has the flu, which could kill on the order of 10,000 Americans this year.

The flu doesn't have a 50-70% mortality rate either.

I wouldn't cancel now. If it spreads to Florida I don't have reservations, but I wouldn't book.

I'm not an alarmist, there's no stockpile of canned goods and gas masks in my house, but if this thing gets past the level of infecting health care workers, we've got problems. I don't necessarily trust everything coming out of the mouths of the CDC- so I'm watching cautiously.

This needs to be put in perspective. Tens of thousands of people die in the US from the flu, so far 1 person has died of ebola. And the one person that died waited a week before receiving treatment and the hospital was ill-prepared to handle it. (Reading an article this morning, nurses did not have fully protective gear and were working on other patients as well.). Don't live in fear the reason ebola is so scary is because it's in essence unknown. Be vigilant in washing your hands and live your lives.

We are watching it closely.. at first I was like 'its all good' but then this second nurse is positive AND she was on that Cleveland flight.. We will find out soon enough how rapid this thing will spread.. If it isn't widespread and only with these cases along with a couple others we will probably end up going... our trip is first week of Dec.

This is one thing that drives me nuts about the media's coverage of this. They had been saying one would have to be showing symptoms in order to be contagious. Well reports said she was not symptomatic until AFTER that flight. So with that in mind is there really anything to worry about or were they wrong?

This is one thing that drives me nuts about the media's coverage of this. They had been saying one would have to be showing symptoms in order to be contagious. Well reports said she was not symptomatic until AFTER that flight. So with that in mind is there really anything to worry about or were they wrong?

They are just covering their *** after the fact. The CDC did drop the ball in not going to Dallas faster. The hospital was in way over it's head, which is clear to even little old me, who has zero medical training. Why they thought the hospital could treat effectively is beyond me.

Now, they are being over cautious in warning those on the plane the the nurse. I think the question also remains, could she have had symptoms before she acknowledged them? I know sometimes I can feel a bit off and just ignore it for the first day or so, until I start to feel even worse. Since she did have a fever 24 hours after her flight it is within the realm of possibility she had one on the flight and just didn't realize it. I don't think it's probably but possible. That is what the CDC is acting on, IMO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!