• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ANYONE USE DAVID'S VACATION RENTALS LATELY?

1 Bedroom is one of the worst deals when it comes to DVC also it really depends on when you are going.

I think I remember you stating you are going in February? Possibly early February?

Early February is considered the "cheapest" cash price season of the year while its considered a "moderately expensive" DVC time of the season. So some of it comes down to the time you are going as well. They do charge $19/point at David's though so not clue what that does to the math as when I always rented in the past I always did it direct through a member on this forum or another forum.

Correct. I am going ten nights, February 17-27. I was able to find points for $10 for OKW one bedroom. Anything over that I felt wasnt worth it for me to rent other than through Disney. I wont have my new points until September since we did a two bedroom at GF and GV at SSR this year.

Looking forward to trying OKW and the space looks great!

We've used David's to rent points but another agency to rent out our points (they paid us more). Anyway, we had an experience that likely contributed to the contract language change that has been referenced.

We rented points for a 3BR Villa stay at Aulani in March, 2020 right as everything was getting shut down. As you can imagine 8 nights in a 3BR villa at Aulani over spring break was a pretty penny. As everything shut down we reached out to David's about trying to change our dates (not cancel as at the time who knew...) and really work with the point owners on an amicable solution that allowed them to keep their money (even though they were getting points back) and allowed us to find a solution to our canceled trip. The point owners never returned David's calls or inquiries. So, they got 75% of the money and their points back and we were out a 5-figure sum. David's (I assume) kept the other 25% hold back since we never (could) check in. After weeks of back and forth, David's finally came through with their rental credit for anyone who was canceled on and couldn't get their money back (something they didn't have to do).

So, happy ending, we've rebooked our Aulani trip for October, 2021 using the credit we received and no harm no foul. But, if David's had a number of experiences like that where owners received cash and their points back while renters were "just out of luck" I can see why they changed their terms.

So, long story long, we've had positive experiences renting from them, but have not tried renting to them.

We've used David's to rent points but another agency to rent out our points (they paid us more). Anyway, we had an experience that likely contributed to the contract language change that has been referenced.

We rented points for a 3BR Villa stay at Aulani in March, 2020 right as everything was getting shut down. As you can imagine 8 nights in a 3BR villa at Aulani over spring break was a pretty penny. As everything shut down we reached out to David's about trying to change our dates (not cancel as at the time who knew...) and really work with the point owners on an amicable solution that allowed them to keep their money (even though they were getting points back) and allowed us to find a solution to our canceled trip. The point owners never returned David's calls or inquiries. So, they got 75% of the money and their points back and we were out a 5-figure sum. David's (I assume) kept the other 25% hold back since we never (could) check in. After weeks of back and forth, David's finally came through with their rental credit for anyone who was canceled on and couldn't get their money back (something they didn't have to do).

So, happy ending, we've rebooked our Aulani trip for October, 2021 using the credit we received and no harm no foul. But, if David's had a number of experiences like that where owners received cash and their points back while renters were "just out of luck" I can see why they changed their terms.

So, long story long, we've had positive experiences renting from them, but have not tried renting to them.

Just to clarify, David’s paid owners 70% and did keep the 30%.

However, the owner may or may not have gotten back points, and even if they did, they may have been of no use to the .

Points have expiration dates and even the limited exceptions by DVCM...which were not required...did not extend all points to make the owner whole.

So, please do not assume that the original owner you had the reservation didn’t lose because they did.

David’s changed his contract and offered vouchers because his contract was poorly written and renters were due a refund...and he lost a lot of credit card challenges...it has nothing to do with protecting renters.

I am glad the voucher worked out for you!

Last edited:
Money is coming in like crazy. Yesterday I opened my email and had four emails saying you have a payout from davids. Thought it was a glitch and the same email got sent four times but no it was four different payouts.
$$$$

Money is coming in like crazy. Yesterday I opened my email and had four emails saying you have a payout from davids. Thought it was a glitch and the same email got sent four times but no it was four different payouts.
$$$$
Is this “good” in the sense you are getting what you should have gotten earlier?

However, the owner may or may not have gotten back points, and even if they did, they may have been of no use to the .

Points have expiration dates and even the limited exceptions by DVCM...which were not required...did not extend all points to make the owner whole.

So, please do not assume that the original owner you had the reservation didn’t lose because they did.

David’s changed his contract and offered vouchers because his contract was poorly written and renters were due a refund...and he lost a lot of credit card challenges...it has nothing to do with protecting renters.

I am glad the voucher worked out for you!

Well, as an owner, I do know what the options were since we were made aware as well. Correct, we don't know the use year of the other person's points to know the usability of those points once the reservation was canceled - but we do know they were credited back without going into holding. Regardless, not even acknowledging or returning David's inquires was still a crappy move. I'd go one further, I'd have hoped that they'd have at least been willing to discuss alternative options (we were happy to understand different solutions that didn't involve trying to get a cash refund).

We've not rented our points out through David’s, so I haven't been on that side of the equation with David's specifically.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, as an owner, I do know what the options were since we were made aware as well. Correct, we don't know the use year of the other person's points to know the usability of those points once the reservation was canceled - but we do know they were credited back without going into holding. Regardless, not even acknowledging or returning David's inquires was still a crappy move. I'd go one further, I'd have hoped that they'd have at least been willing to discuss alternative options (we were happy to understand different solutions that didn't involve trying to get a cash refund).

We've not rented our points out through David's, so I haven't been on that side of the equation with David's specifically.

I edited out details you included as it is a violation of the board rules.

Be aware, David’s was not giving owners and renters the ability to work it out with renters in terms of rescheduling, even when owners were willing,

He gave owners the choice to return funds or rent the points...neither which was required via his contract,

There are even reports where owners did in fact return funds to David’s and he refused to return to the renters. Voucher was their only option, ( and owners has contacted them to say they were refunding) and so some of them resorted to charge backs and won.

He wasn’t willing to allow alternative options, even with cooperative owners, many who were willing to work with renters,

As I said I am glad the voucher worked for you, but his treatment of owners during all of this was less than professional, and criticizing an owner based on what he said does hit a nerve for me, knowing what I know.

I have my "final" renter in January. I plan to list points on disboards from now on. I had four rentals last year and two this year (rented in March) when I knew we wouldn't be going this year.

A renter puts out points that they don't need or want in exchange for $14.50 or $15.50. We pay about $8+ per point for annual fees. We also paid $100+ to buy each of those points. After paying income taxes on the total amount we might net $3 per point NOT counting purchase price!

The rental agency actually makes more than the renter typically. If you push it, they may go back to the owner and ask if they can reschedule. I believe IF the owner can and wants to reschedule (points may expire that month?) you will be charged for that at several $ per point. Don't expect a refund. I believe they do list "reservations" and the ultra cheap ones ($10) go quickly. That may be your best option if you just want to walk away with something rather than nothing.

Renting comes with risks unfortunately. I have rented privately in the past and discussed point expiration and the limits to my ability to modify reservations. Cancellation for a refund is a firm no when I rent. I'm sorry you happened to rent at the "wrong" time as it has been a great win-win for owners and renters up until now. Good luck trying to get help from the rental agency...it will take some negotiation for sure to even get them to talk to you about it.

In the future, perhaps use the disboard rental thread and find owners or reserve with cancellation capability directly through WDW. Third parties aren't a good idea right now IMO. Good luck!

There is no reason to pay income taxes on the total rental price. Timeshare rentals under two weeks may be tax exempt, but if they are not, you should just pay tax on rental price - annual dues - depreciation (point purchase price divided by number of years left on the contract).

On Dec 12’th , I contacted David’s to rent out 100 2019 Dec use year points at BRV. They told me that things were slow and that it may take a while to find a buyer. I asked David’s to rent them but they also agreed to let me list them on these rental boards. Lo and behold I got an email the next morning that they had a renter. Someone wanted to make a reservation right at the 11 month mark. I even got $1.50 more a point than I had asked for on here. I had used David’s before to rent points pre Covid so I hope things work out now

I would like to further clarify this point. David's takes his ~23% off the top. The owners get 70% of what remains. So, using simple numbers as an example, when a renter pays $400 for a points rental, David's takes the first $92. He then pays out 70% of what remains to the owner to lock the points in (70% x $308=$215.6). When the renter checks in, the owner gets the final 30% of what remains (30% x $308=$92.4).

David's keeps almost half of the renter's money when he doesn't pay the remaining 30% of the rental fee to the owner.

We'll see how it turns out. I submitted all of our 2020 points for rent with Davids as we weren't going until the 2021 points were released for us. Today, we rented out 1/2 of them. It seemed like an easy process. Now to wait for the money to come in as promised. I was a little leary of how it would work, but they gave me all the information I needed to make it really simple.

On Dec 12’th , I contacted David’s to rent out 100 2019 Dec use year points at BRV. They told me that things were slow and that it may take a while to find a buyer. I asked David’s to rent them but they also agreed to let me list them on these rental boards. Lo and behold I got an email the next morning that they had a renter. Someone wanted to make a reservation right at the 11 month mark. I even got $1.50 more a point than I had asked for on here. I had used David’s before to rent points pre Covid so I hope things work out now

Please read, carefully, the contract that David's gives you as the person providing the points. Especially the parts concerning your responsibility if there ever is another shut down. Also, compare that language to the contract that people get who rent from David's. You can find this on their website. If you're satisfied with it, then all is well.

Please read, carefully, the contract that David's gives you as the person providing the points. Especially the parts concerning your responsibility if there ever is another shut down. Also, compare that language to the contract that people get who rent from David's. You can find this on their website. If you're satisfied with it, then all is well.

That and they are floating money from one person to the next and no one knows whether they will be capable of paying. There are already reports of people not getting paid as they were supposed to.

the only problem right now is i think everyone is swamped with zillions of banked points that they have to get rid of....
i just contracted with Davids to rent out the banked points from 2 of my contracts.
Last time i rented out my points, they were rented within a week. Not so this time around.
Hopefully, they will eventually be rented.

Correct. I am going ten nights, February 17-27. I was able to find points for $10 for OKW one bedroom. Anything over that I felt wasnt worth it for me to rent other than through Disney. I wont have my new points until September since we did a two bedroom at GF and GV at SSR this year.

Looking forward to trying OKW and the space looks great!

where did you find points for $10?

where did you find points for $10?

you can find some good prices at davids. Some people who have rented are now scared to go or can’t go. I had some points rented that davids gave me 150 dollars to change the reservation to another guest. Them points went for 9 dollars a point. The original renters lost a lot of money I still got my full amount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter