Anyone try HealthyWager? I just signed up for a $1080 prize if I lose 25lbs in 6 months!

Discussion in 'W.I.S.H' started by elaine amj, Jan 9, 2019.

1. MikeNamez

MikeNamez DIS Veteran

This happens to me too, your not alone. I'm in maintenance after losing 100 and I now eat what I want on the weekends. Monday is always tough to go back to calorie counting but usually by mid week im back in full swing. Keep it going, you got this!

2. iivye

iivye DIS Veteran

You're doing fantastic!

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. elaine amj

elaine amj DIS Veteran

@MikeNamez @iivye Thanks so much! It's sometimes challenging but I'm continuing to plug away.

Was helping a friend with home renovations for about 10 hours today. They fed us with Pizza Hut and I got so hungry that I ended up eating 6 slices of pizza and a couple of cookies. Ended up eating 1700 calories. A little high considering I was hoping to keep it to 1200 calories but it's OK.

MikeNamez and iivye like this.
  5. elaine amj

elaine amj DIS Veteran

I would suggest tightening up your logging. Especially if u are not seeing the expected loss, the likely culprit is that you are eating too much by eyeballing. Then again, u mentioned you are a strict 1500 calories so possibly you already weigh everything.

I use MyFitnessPal and at 5ft, they allow me 1200 calories plus all my exercise calories. To allow for a fudge factor and some logging inaccuracies (I weigh a lot of stuff but not everything), I only eat half my exercise calories (especially since I don't use a Fitbit so these are just vague estimates and always seem too high).

Weightloss is not linear but when looked at over 1-2 months, I am steadily losing the expected 1lb a week I plan for.

DLgal likes this.
  6. DLgal

DLgal DIS Veteran

Yeah, I log everything using MFP and weigh almost everything. I go over 1500 on heavy exercise days, when I KNOW I have burned 600-800 calories. I do lots of long road bike workouts that last 1.5 hours at high intensity the whole time, and use Map My Run to log runs/walks, and base that calorie burn on the distance. I workout every other day, for at least an hour at moderate to high intensity, and will go up to maybe 1800 calories on those days. On days I don't workout, I never go over 1500, but never much less than that either.

Part of my issue seems to be that I tend to bloat VERY easily and also suffer from digestive issues (slow digestion), so I might see a drop of a pound or 2, and then a few days later, I'm up by 3 or 4. It is very frustrating. I weighed 150 on Thursday. This morning, I'm 153. Sigh.

7. elaine amj

elaine amj DIS Veteran

Ugh that is so insanely frustrating :( :( And yes, road biking is very high intensity and should burn quite a few calories so u should be eating at least a big chunk of it back.

I do know my weight fluctuates 1-3 lbs on a daily basis. At one time I used trendweight to curve my daily weigh ins and even out the daily fluctuations so I could get a bigger picture beyond the noise.

How much does MFP give you to eat at 5ft 3? 1500? Maybe try cutting it back a little and see if the scale starts budging?

8. DLgal

DLgal DIS Veteran

MFP always gives me 1200. I've tried going that low and just suffered from daily headaches and major insomnia. I read an article recently that said instead of telling MFP what you weigh NOW, put in your goal weight and tell it you want to "maintain current weight." That is supposed to be a much more accurate way to estimate calorie needs. At my goal weight for my height, I'd need 1510 calories per day to maintain. So that is what number I am using now. That number is very close to my RMR right now.

This is me trying for like the hundredth time to lose some weight. I will say, I do not constantly feel starving at 1500 calories and am able to exercise without feeling like I'm going to faint, so I think it is a good number. But, probably would lose faster at 1200 calories so that is why I don't eat back all my exercise calories most days.

I have heard about smart scales that show you trends over the long term, accounting for daily fluctuations. Maybe I should try one of those. I know that water weight can often mask fat loss, and I'd really like to know if my efforts are making any difference.

9. elaine amj

elaine amj DIS Veteran

When I used trendweight (happyscale is a similar iphone app), I just manually input my weight every day into a fitbit app (I don't have a fitbit) I had synced to the trendweight website.

When you ate at 1200 calories, were you correspondingly not eating your exercise calories? I did that a few years ago and after a couple of months, I was fatigued and cranky. So now I eat half my exercise calories to allow for my slightly inaccurate food logging as well as inaccurate exercise logging since I don't use a fitbit.

10. elaine amj

elaine amj DIS Veteran

I got home from a long weekend away with a lot of social eating and did great! Followed my plan and ended the week still on track according to MFP.

With my HealthyWager is mind I was very very motivated to make sure I didn't sabotage myself. And yet, I wanted to relax and enjoy my social meals without counting every bite. So I put in a bunch of extra workouts before the weekend and ate less throughout the week so I would have extra calories "banked" for the weekend. I also planned in some fun active stuff during our trip including long walks and trying out a couple of different ice skating trails.

iivye likes this.
  11. DLgal

DLgal DIS Veteran

I will check out some apps. Thanks.

When I ate 1200, I would eat back exercise calories as My Fitness Pal told me to. I would follow whatever guidelines they set. I have my Map My Run app synched to MFP so it always downloaded my bike rides and runs and then changed how many more calories I was "allowed" each day. Saw absolutely NO results with that strategy.

This strategy seems to be working better, as I'm seeing very slow weight loss.

12. elaine amj

elaine amj DIS Veteran

Glad you are seeing some weight loss, even if it is slow. Looks like what you are doing is working:)

For me, I found the exercise calories always seemed a bit inflated, especially when I did more intense/lengthier workouts like long bike rides. I never trusted it enough and generally only ate half of it back and typically lost at the 1 lb a week I expected.

13. elaine amj

elaine amj DIS Veteran

Weekly check-in

Jan 1: 154.2 lbs
    Jan 4: 150.2 lbs (lost that water weight!)
    Jan 11: 149.8 lbs
    Jan 18: 147.4 lbs
    Jan 25: 147.8 lbs
    Feb 2: 146.8 lbs
    Feb 8: 144.6 lbs
    Feb 15: 143.6 lbs
    Feb 23: 144 lbs
    March 1: 140.8 lbs

Stats: Female 39, 5ft
    Total weight lost: 13.4 lbs
    Goal weight: 129 lbs
    *Have to reach goal weight by July 7 2019 to get $1080 in prize money from HealthyWager OR I lose $600*
    Currently 53.53% towards my goal with 29.8% time elapsed

Woot!!! SOOO excited to SEE 140!!! Dropped THREE pounds this week. After a 2 week stall (due to that time of the month), I lost my expected 2 lbs in 2 weeks. It turned out to be 3 lbs because this week I reduced my caloric intake further. I am stepping it up to 2 lbs loss a week to lose a little extra before my cruise in just one more week. Hope to see 139 next week :)

It is REALLY interesting how my weight loss has been about exactly on target (over time of course) according to MyFitnessPal. The math of calorie counting is pretty accurate for me.

MikeNamez and iivye like this.
  14. lmhall2000

lmhall2000 May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you

I joined HW last August- 8 months- bet $100 a month to lose 60 pounds, payout is $2600

I am down 50 pounds with 10 pounds to go in the next 7+ weeks...HOME STRETCH!! Going to push hard!! Here's my journey and what has worked to bump those plateaus:

Plateau busters:
    Keep sodium below 1500 daily
    Go clean with ZERO white sugar/flour and stick to 1400 calories or less
    Only eat complex carbs first two days for no more than 30% of your daily calories- then strict keto the next 5
    Replace one meal with a spinach smoothie (2 cups spinach 1 cup berries/ice/water- makes 2 servings)
    Change up exercise routine, I stopped weight training for 2 weeks and only did 3 miles elliptical/3k on rowing machine for 5 workouts each week...(doing this now, will report how it affects my losses!)
    Only drink water or unsweet tea/coffee...I add lemon or a splash of 100% cranberry juice into my water sometimes

I love healthy wage! It's keeping me GOING DOWN!!

15. elaine amj

elaine amj DIS Veteran

So glad it's been working out for you! 50lbs is a huge accomplishment - you are in your final stretch. Pretty amazing!

16. iivye

iivye DIS Veteran

Awesome job!

17. elaine amj

elaine amj DIS Veteran

Well, I am back from my 2 week vacation. Scale this morning shows a 5lb gain but hoping at least half of that is water weight.

Very happy that I was able to keep up with my commitment of 2-3 hours of physical activity almost every day (I think I missed 3 days out of 13). Lots of dance classes on the cruise, swimming in the ports, and biking post-cruise.

Was back in the pool for aquafit this morning and it felt great!

a1tinkfans and iivye like this.
  18. iivye

iivye DIS Veteran

The hardest part is getting back to the routine after vacation, well done! Those 5 lbs will be gone in a couple of days.

19. elaine amj

elaine amj DIS Veteran

Weekly check-in

Jan 1: 154.2 lbs
    Jan 4: 150.2 lbs (lost that water weight!)
    Jan 11: 149.8 lbs
    Jan 18: 147.4 lbs
    Jan 25: 147.8 lbs
    Feb 2: 146.8 lbs
    Feb 8: 144.6 lbs
    Feb 15: 143.6 lbs
    Feb 23: 144 lbs
    March 1: 140.8 lbs
    March 9: 138.8 lbs
    March 22: 144 lbs
    March 29: 142.2 lbs

Stats: Female 39, 5ft
    Total weight lost: 12 lbs
    Goal weight: 129 lbs
    *Have to reach goal weight by July 7 2019 to get $1080 in prize money from HealthyWager OR I lose $600*
    Currently 48% towards my goal with 45.3% time elapsed

Well, as I anticipated, the cruise set me back quite a bit. I have lost 2 lbs in the past week since I returned and looks like I will have to work hard to shed the remaining 3 lbs to get me back to where I was 3 weeks ago. So I probably lost about a month of progress (since I went on a 2 week vacation and it is taking about 2 weeks to shed the vacation weight)

My vacation was worth it though :) And I had anticipated this when I signed up for HealthyWager and made sure that I had enough time to meet my goals even with the effects of the cruise.

iivye likes this.
  20. a1tinkfans

a1tinkfans Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

Wow!!! Way to go everyone. It’s wonderful to hear all the progress and the struggles that effect the weight loss journey.

I’m using my fitness pal and map my walk. I’m down 8.6 pounds in last 8 weeks. My ultimate goal is to drop 11 more.
    Several trips coming up so I’ll really need to be Ever Cautious. I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as Feeling/looking good does.
    Good luck All!!

MikeNamez likes this.
  21. elaine amj

elaine amj DIS Veteran

Trips make it rather hard. But like you said, have to stay committed. I do find logging keeps me mindful. And honest.