Anyone try HealthyWager? I just signed up for a $1080 prize if I lose 25lbs in 6 months!

elaine amj

DIS Veteran
Has anyone here tried Healthy Wager? You can put down as little as $100 over 6-18 months that you will lose a min 10% of your body weight. Your actual payout depends on how much you put in and how much you commit to lose. I debated for a while (initially only planned to put in $300) but ended up deciding to put in $600 with a payout of $1080. So $480 or about 80% return for a commitment to lose 25lbs in 6 months. That's about 1 lb a week (especially since I did load up with water and dinner - adding about 4lbs to my weigh in that morning lol). I know that while it will be a long-term commitment for the next 6 months, the number is doable.

I've heard of Dietbet and HealthyWager for some years but never seriously considered it because I was never quite committed to losing weight. I mostly figured that I would take it slow and lose whatever I lost. It has worked and I have lost 25lbs before. But this year, I decided I really wanted to lose weight. Initially I thought maybe 10lbs in the next 10 weeks before my March cruise. Then I thought...since I know I am committed this time (it's a mental thing and I've learned enough about myself to know when I'm committed and when I'm not quite ready), why not make some money off it?

So I researched all the different sites offering money and rewards. Contemplated Dietbet because it is generally only a $25-35 commitment. Then when I started crunching the numbers on HealthyWager, I could feel a difference in my mindset. I quickly realized the thought of losing $25-35 was not a big enough motivator. The thought of losing $600 was horrifying. At that point I realized I was in fact willing to take a bigger leap and instead of just planning to lose 10 lbs, I was prepared to commit to lose 25lbs.

Even better, my challenge ends the week before my 40th birthday. It will be so amazing to be summer ready and look awesome when I turn 40!

So here I am, 2 days into my 25lb challenge. I am strangely confident and calm and know I can do this. There is NO WAY I will let $600 go down the drain. My frugal nature simply will not allow it no matter how much my body craves junk. And an added sweetener is the extra $480 in prize money when I win this. I plan to put that towards upgrading my tickets to an Annual Pass during our Dec 2019 WDW trip - perfect timing to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary in 2020 :)

I'll update this thread every once in a while with my review of how HealthyWager is working for me :) If anyone would like to join me, my referral link is https://hwage.co/574832/ (we each get $40 added to our prize money).

Zhoen

FairieVillainMother
I've heard of these, but never really researched or participated. Let us know how it goes!!! (If you haven't already, you can also join us down on the monthly support board, and we'll cheer you on!)

elaine amj

DIS Veteran
I've heard of these, but never really researched or participated. Let us know how it goes!!! (If you haven't already, you can also join us down on the monthly support board, and we'll cheer you on!)
This is my first time participating! I have to say - I am surprised how much extra motivation it gave me. I wasn't expecting that at all. I am pretty motivated by money (especially if it involves Mickey Math - and an upgrade to an Annual Pass would be amazingly sweet) so this is already working surprisingly well.

• MikeNamez

DIS Veteran
    Losing the weight is definitely do-able especially if you have motivation like this. My weight loss journey started 6 months ago to the day and I'm down 100lbs... You can do it! Wish I knew about this when I started lol Easy money!

elaine amj

DIS Veteran
    Losing the weight is definitely do-able especially if you have motivation like this. My weight loss journey started 6 months ago to the day and I'm down 100lbs... You can do it! Wish I knew about this when I started lol Easy money!
    That was part of the reason I signed up. I knew I was committed enough to lose at least 10 lbs so I figured why not get some easy money while I was at it?

That said, it pushed me to stretch my goal to 25 lbs so I am officially impressed. I ask expecting that this will give me a boost to keep going when my January excitement wanes.

MikeNamez

DIS Veteran
    That was part of the reason I signed up. I knew I was committed enough to lose at least 10 lbs so I figured why not get some easy money while I was at it?

That said, it pushed me to stretch my goal to 25 lbs so I am officially impressed. I ask expecting that this will give me a boost to keep going when my January excitement wanes.
    Just stick with it and you can do it. Remember everybody loses at different rates, so don't get discouraged if it slows down. Also, i would suggest tracking your calories with an app like my fitness pal. This has helped me tremendously because I see everything I'm eating and makes me think twice about shoving the bad stuff in.

sjrec

DIS Veteran
    Sounds like a great motivator! You’re right, 600.00 is a lot to blow off-and a nice payout as well.

Can I ask, how do they actually verify someone has lost the agreed upon amount of weight?

Come join the WISH thread!

• elaine amj

DIS Veteran
    They ask you to submit a video of yourself weighing in at the start and at the end. You have to video yourself starting the scale, stepping on it, then doing a 360 degree turn to prove you are not holding anything. So pretty easy :)

elaine amj

DIS Veteran
    Week 1 Update: It's been a week and I am still going strong. Technically I have lost 5.5lbs so far but 4lbs of that was inflated weight. Before my weigh in, I drank a lot of water (was dying to pee haha!) and ate my dinner. My weigh ins since then have been first thing in the am after going to the bathroom without clothes. So in reality I have lost maybe 1.5lbs.

I continue to be motivated by HealthyWager. Rather surprised by that. And of course, I also need to give credit where credit is due. I am using MyFitnessPal for the actual mechanics of weightloss. Daily logging works for me very well. I am using HealthyWager for long term motivation.

ohMom

Kids Get Arthritis Too!
    Sounds like quite a motivator! I have not heard of it, keep us updated and Onward and Downward!

elaine amj

DIS Veteran
    Week 2 and still doing great. Working out every day either in the pool or going for a walk or run. Even with the crazy snow and freezing rain we have had recently :)

Weight has not budged this week yet because it's that time of the month but I know by the end of this week, I should be down another pound or so. The whole HealthyWager thing is continually at the back of my mind and keeps me focused.

• iivye

DIS Veteran
    I'm following along. I was going to sign up for this but noted that my end date would be right after a 2 week vacation so I decided to put it off. I think it's a great way to stay motivated. Keep up the good work!

DLgal

DIS Veteran
    I thought about this too, because I want to lose 25 pounds. However, I decided against it simply because I just CANNOT lose weight recently, and I think it is either stress related or hormone related somehow and I don't want to lose money. I am tracking my food, eating only 1500 cal/day, working out every other day, and the scale is the same every single morning. I don't know what else to do. It's very frustrating. I would be even more stressed out if there was money on the line.

elaine amj

DIS Veteran
    @iivye That's smart. I think weighing in after a 2 week vacay would be tough too. My backup plan if there is a stubborn pound or two is to do a 1 day water fast before weigh in. And definitely NO sodium the day before. What about a 9 month bet? Not sure if u can do 7 months - I think u might be able to?

I thought about this too, because I want to lose 25 pounds. However, I decided against it simply because I just CANNOT lose weight recently, and I think it is either stress related or hormone related somehow and I don't want to lose money. I am tracking my food, eating only 1500 cal/day, working out every other day, and the scale is the same every single morning. I don't know what else to do. It's very frustrating. I would be even more stressed out if there was money on the line.
    Ugh that is frustrating. How long have u cut your calories for? How accurate is your tracking? I tend to be pretty accurate and weigh many of my meals/snacks because it is too easy to eat up to 30% more than you think.

That said, if you are not quite ready, I agree that putting money on the line is not really a good idea. I find there's something that clicks in my brain when I am ready to lose weight. Its weird but I can feel the difference. This time I knew I was determined so I figured why not make some money at it? The best part is, it pushed me to stretch my goal from my original plans of 10 lbs in 3 months.

DLgal

DIS Veteran
    @iivye That's smart. I think weighing in after a 2 week vacay would be tough too. My backup plan if there is a stubborn pound or two is to do a 1 day water fast before weigh in. And definitely NO sodium the day before. What about a 9 month bet? Not sure if u can do 7 months - I think u might be able to?

Ugh that is frustrating. How long have u cut your calories for? How accurate is your tracking? I tend to be pretty accurate and weigh many of my meals/snacks because it is too easy to eat up to 30% more than you think.

That said, if you are not quite ready, I agree that putting money on the line is not really a good idea. I find there's something that clicks in my brain when I am ready to lose weight. Its weird but I can feel the difference. This time I knew I was determined so I figured why not make some money at it? The best part is, it pushed me to stretch my goal from my original plans of 10 lbs in 3 months.
    I've been at this for about a year now. The scale is slowly creeping up instead of down. I have had a full physical, blood work, thyroid panel, etc. There is no explanation. I am, according to my doctor "perfectly healthy." I use a food scale, so know my portions are accurate. I err on the side of caution and round most things up.

I have had no problem in the past losing weight. I have never been an overweight person, but have always been easily able to lose 5-15 pounds when I wanted. Evwn now, I am just slightly above ideal weight for my height, but I am small framed and feel like I have a lot of excess weight. Since turning 40, it has just become impossible to lose weight and I am really frustrated about it. I have been gaining and losing the same 2 pounds for like 6 months.

iivye

DIS Veteran
    What about a 9 month bet? Not sure if u can do 7 months - I think u might be able to?
    I think I will sign up. I want to lose weight before the trip and this would probably keep me in check on vacation and not go hog wild.

elaine amj

DIS Veteran
    I think I will sign up. I want to lose weight before the trip and this would probably keep me in check on vacation and not go hog wild.
    Do keep us updated how it goes. That would certainly be a powerful motivator not to overdo it on vacation.

I am going on a cruise in March and am already thinking what I will do. I am going to aim to keep up with 1-2 hours of physical activity daily. Hopefully by dancing every night away :) Also plan to join all the dance classes and laps around the running track and water aerobics classes in the morning also I am staying on Deck 3 and will do my best not to use the elevators throughout the cruise. That will help a lot :)

elaine amj

DIS Veteran
    One month in so it's time for another update!

Jan 1: 154.2 lbs
    Jan 4: 150.2 lbs (lost that water weight!)
    Jan 11: 149.8 lbs
    Jan 18: 147.4 lbs
    Jan 25: 147.8 lbs
    Feb 2: 146.8

Total weight lost: 7.4 lbs
    Goal weight: 129 lbs
    *Have to reach goal weight by July 7 2019 to get $1080 in prize money from HealthyWager OR I lose $600*
    Currently 29.54% towards my goal with 14.4% time elapsed

It's exciting to see those numbers keep going down. I would LOVE to lose 7lbs before my cruise in 5 weeks but that seems a bit aggressive so I will continue chugging along at a goal loss of 1lb a week.

I was starting to eat a lot of snacks for a couple of days last week but the thought of all this money on the line kept me on track.

Logging on MyFitnessPal continues to help me as well. I hate seeing numbers in the red haha!

elaine amj

DIS Veteran
    Time for another weigh-in :) Had a bit of a rough go this past week with THREE big social meals. After the social eating, I found I was having a hard time going back to my usual low cal food and ate a bit more than I had planned. Nevertheless, the weight loss pendulum kept swinging and I managed to drop 2 lbs this week.

Jan 1: 154.2 lbs
    Jan 4: 150.2 lbs (lost that water weight!)
    Jan 11: 149.8 lbs
    Jan 18: 147.4 lbs
    Jan 25: 147.8 lbs
    Feb 2: 146.8 lbs
    Feb 8: 144.6 lbs

Total weight lost: 9.6 lbs
    Goal weight: 129 lbs
    *Have to reach goal weight by July 7 2019 to get $1080 in prize money from HealthyWager OR I lose $600*
    Currently 38.36% towards my goal with 17.7% time elapsed

After THREE long weeks of the scale hovering around the same numbers, this morning I FINALLY got the whoosh I have been waiting for! Hard to keep trusting in the plan when nothing was happening on the scale. So I am right on schedule. Discounting the initial water weight loss the first week, I have lost 5.6 lbs in the past 5 weeks - just about exactly what my logs in MyFitnessPal says I should lose.

Also updated my measurements from a month ago and the results are:
    3 inches lost in the bust
    2 inches lost in the waist
    1.5 inches lost in the hips

I also started measuring my butt today and I think I will also start measuring my upper arms (hoping all the swimming will start toning up my perpetually fleshy arms)

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Daily Updates and News