Anyone remember cancan dancers?

PinkBudgie

DIS Veteran
I was telling someone yesterday that we were going to DLR for our anniversary and she asked if the cancan dancers were still there. I don't remember ever seeing them. She said they were in Frontier Land in the building on the left which I take to mean the Golden Horseshoe. She said they were on the 2nd floor. She said she tried to find them last time but couldn't. Anyone know what she might be talking about? :confused3

I seem to remember them as part of the Golden Horseshoe way back. OK, now I'm really dating myself.

I personally don't remember seeing the Can Can dancers @ the Golden Horsehoe, but they were there. My dance teacher was one of the dancers during the 60's. I don't think the dancers were on the 2nd floor though bc right now it's used for seating to look down on the stage and there's no room for ppl to dance up there.

I've only seen a show in the Golden Horseshoe Saloon once and that was sometime in the late 80s. I do remember seeing the cancan dancers then.

At one time, the Can-Can show at the Golden Horseshoe held the record for the longest running stage show.

I used to love this show. For me, it was one of the must-dos to do at Disneyland, especially since in the days of the ticket books this was free.

There were two main singers, the lady who ran the saloon girls and the man who ran the saloon. There was a "vaudeville" type act that brought volunteers from the audience, and there were the can-can girls. It was a fun show, and at the beginning they always started with a slide show about Pecos Bill. The show had regular band members below so live music for their singing & dancing numbers.

Wally Boag as Pecos Bill (singing skit in the show) (He was still performing when we were going there and I was a young girl)

One number had the main lady - Slu Foot Sue - with a mirror, and she would sing about finding a man to plant a kiss on him & reflect the light from the mirror on guys and talk to them - young boys (around 8) and older guys with their wives. It was so funny. She always found a man with a receding hairline or bald, and told him to pucker up and would kiss the top of his head, leaving a big red lip print on him.

Welcome to the Golden Horseshoe

In the 80's or 90's that show was discontinued, and they brought in another saloon show that still had can-can girls, but now also had three guys dancing. One of my favorites at the time was "Belly Up to the Bar Boys." In one of their numbers, the guys would go out to the audience, find some girl, and some guy, pull their chairs together while they sang about finding the one you love (forget the exact song), and would pose the embarrassed couple. It was great fun. My cousins were out here from Spain, and one of them was grabbed -- he was embarrassed, but loved it (I think we loved it more - ha ha).

Golden Horseshoe Review

(I THINK one of the guys who used to be in this review is one of the Billy's today)

History of Golden Horseshoe

Looks like this is done someplace else by the original gals
Welcome to the Golden Horseshoe

http://www.jansworld.net/golden_horseshoe_pages/gh_main_page.htm
She also does a great Billy Hill site. The lower right hand side box, stage left, is the Walt Disney box.

80457360JCDyFF_fs.jpg

Great info Mary Jo. It's nice to see my memory isn't shot yet.

Neat videos. :thumbsup2 I'll have to let her know. I knew if it ever existed at DL, someone here would know. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter