Anyone really turned off by the DVC "pitch"?

roomthreeseventeen

Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher
My husband and I went on the DVC tour at Saratoga Springs the other day. We were told that the entire thing would take 60-90 minutes and would be "no pressure." We were very disappointed to find out that was not going to be the case.

Our "tour" took a little more than two hours, and the guy who we were assigned to, Joe, gave us a VERY hard sell at the end. He left the room to give us time to think and write down questions, and when he came back, he kept asking us why we hadn't signed yet. We told him we needed a few nights to think about it, and he essentially called us stupid for not having already signed up, given how much money we spend on Disney vacations.

He was essentially asking us to fork over $500 immediately of our savings, having only been introduced to the idea of DVC two hours before.

Anyway, it completely soured us on even the idea of DVC. We just felt it was completely unprofessional to be accosted like that at Disney.

That's surprising Amy. We've never had a hard-sell from DVC, but then again we've been members since 1995 and our last add-on was in early 2012.

You're wise to do all your research before signing anything. :thumbsup2

That is NOT the way we have been treated when we have toured DVC. We have had multiple guides over the years, and while one of them was certainly a harder sell guy than the others, I would not call them hard sell at all compared to other timeshare presentations we have been to.

I'm 37 years old and have never been to a timeshare presentation nor do I plan to! I remember as a child my parents attending several which lasted hours netting them only cheap gifts! I've always figured anything that you must to be compensated through gifts and in some cases money to sit through could not be worth it- scams! Of course timeshares are not scams but their tactics often appear like!

My best friend is a DVC member and after she purchased direct and added on resale she introduced me to DVC! Now I own 14 contracts (13 resale-1 direct)!
Timeshares can seem complicated when you are first learning and the guides feel very strongly that once you are taught the system you should be ready to sign! My advice is for you to do your own research and contact them when you are ready to buy! In fact do this w/ every purchase no matter how big or small! A new purchase should make you feel good- if it doesn't walk away as you did!

Timeshares can seem complicated when you are first learning and the guides feel very strongly that once you are taught the system you should be ready to sign!!

Right, I totally think that was it, but what he was saying felt so completely condescending. He kept repeating that we obviously "didn't get it" and that he would explain the system to us again. I have been a DIS'er for a long time, I understand points and the DVC system. We were never prepared to sign away our savings that afternoon, and it felt terrible to have that pressure on us on our vacation.

My husband and I went on the DVC tour at Saratoga Springs the other day. We were told that the entire thing would take 60-90 minutes and would be "no pressure." We were very disappointed to find out that was not going to be the case.

Our "tour" took a little more than two hours, and the guy who we were assigned to, Joe, gave us a VERY hard sell at the end. He left the room to give us time to think and write down questions, and when he came back, he kept asking us why we hadn't signed yet. We told him we needed a few nights to think about it, and he essentially called us stupid for not having already signed up, given how much money we spend on Disney vacations.

He was essentially asking us to fork over $500 immediately of our savings, having only been introduced to the idea of DVC two hours before.

Anyway, it completely soured us on even the idea of DVC. We just felt it was completely unprofessional to be accosted like that at Disney.

Disney is a business and DVC is a cash cow. If you don't buy, The Guide doesn't get paid for the sale and poor performance could result in termination. He was probably a newer Guide under pressure to sell. Most Guide aren't as pushy.

If you vacation at Disney at least once a year at deluxe resorts or if you need larger accommodations, DVC may make financial sense and the buying process shouldn't be an issue. Buying resale is a huge cost savings but it has delays and other issues.

:earsboy: Bill

Disney is a business and DVC is a cash cow. If you don't buy, The Guide doesn't get paid for the sale and poor performance could result in termination. He was probably a newer Guide under pressure to sell. Most Guide aren't as pushy.

If you vacation at Disney at least once a year at deluxe resorts or if you need larger accommodations, DVC may make financial sense and the buying process shouldn't be an issue. Buying resale is a huge cost savings but it has delays and other issues.

That's interesting. He told us he was on salary, not commission, and had been there six years.

I noticed a lot of "do it now" when I talked to a guide over the phone. This time around, as opposed to my last venture into DVC back in 2010, I have noticed pressure.

We went to WDW in August 2010. I was intrigued by "Disney's best kept secret." I started checking it out and called a guide. No pressure, good info and lengthy discussions. Decided that I needed to wait.(wish I hadn't)

Fast forward to 2013..... Went on DCL, visited BLT with friends just before the cruise.......DVC fever hits...... Call my guide from 2013..... Same guy..... DIFFERENT VIBE.

I suspect they are getting pressure to sell direct. I read somewhere that DVD was picking up contracts thru foreclosure, based on the OCC filings. Assuming that is true they "Gotta move these points." Take into consideration the gap in price of resale v direct..... You have to hook the member on site or you could lose then to resale. Hence the pressure. My experience with sale people is that they have supervisors who make the rules and that dictates the pitch.

I would be turned off by the hard sell.... My guide called back three times, until I told him I needed time..... He waited a week and a half and called back. I chalk it up to that is the pressure trey are under to do their job.... Frustrating and annoying, but part of the landscape.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I would say you have to separate the product from the salesman. There are going to be all types of salesmen. I would say for the most part Disney has timeshare salesmen that are low pressure, but the timeshare industry as a whole have salesmen that are much more aggressive. I'm not 100% sure about Disney, but most salespeople get commission on what they sell, so they have a vested interest in you buying from them. Maybe your salesman had a slow week, or his job was on the line, or that tactic normally works for him, or who knows. The important thing to remember is you do not have to buy then and there. There will always be another salesperson to sell it to you at a later date. You were right to walk away if you did not feel comfortable buying. Do your own research on the product. I am currently buying a resale contract after studying it for a while. I decided the incentives for buying direct weren't as important as waiting for the right resale contract and saving a lot of money. Timeshares are not right for everybody, but even if they are right for you, you should never buy feeling like you have to because the salesman is forcing you.

That's interesting. He told us he was on salary, not commission, and had been there six years.

They may not call it a commission but they get more money for selling more. I also know of a Guide who was let go for not selling enough.

If you are really interested in DVC and want to buy direct I would ask for a new guide. He does sound pushy and off-putting.

You should also take your time and learn more about it before you make any decisions. That is easy to do by hanging around here reading and asking questions. Learn about the resale market too. Most people here that belong to DVC are pretty happy with their purchases and will offer good advice.

You should also take your time and learn more about it before you make any decisions. That is easy to do by hanging around here reading and asking questions. Learn about the resale market too. Most people here that belong to DVC are pretty happy with their purchases and will offer good advice.
whether buying a car, a dishwasher or a timeshare, information is your friend. Regardless of what you do, very rarely is "this second" the ONLY time you can make a good purchase. The more you know the better equipped you are for a sales pitch, aggressive or more laid back.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Welcome to timeshares sales. this sounds fairly light weight compared to some I've seen even though it's more than most have experienced when DVC is concerned.

That doesn't sound like Disney's policy for sales tactics. I'd report him. Call DVC and ask for a guide's supervisor.

It's not "commission" per se, but there are sales expectations for every staff member.

They do receive a fixed salary. However, those who cannot meet expectations do not last long. Those who exceed expectations are eligible for bonuses and other rewards which accompany good performance.

Disney trains staff members but they cannot oversee every sale. Some DVC reps come from other sales positions--some selling other timeshares--and bring habits which are not necessarily in line with Disney philosophy.

Fortunately, your experience is reflective of a single DVC sales guide--not the philosophy Disney tries to instill in its employees.

If you want to have a positive impact on the situation, I would recommend speaking with a DVC sales manager. Briefly explain your interaction and how you were put-off by the Guide's actions. The manager can use that information to determine if additional training is necessary or perhaps--combined with feedback from others--determine that the individual is not a good fit for the organization. And they can also assign you to someone who is a better match for your own needs.

Good luck.

It's not "commission" per se, but there are sales expectations for every staff member.

They do receive a fixed salary. However, those who cannot meet expectations do not last long. Those who exceed expectations are eligible for bonuses and other rewards which accompany good performance.

Disney trains staff members but they cannot oversee every sale. Some DVC reps come from other sales positions--some selling other timeshares--and bring habits which are not necessarily in line with Disney philosophy.

Fortunately, your experience is reflective of a single DVC sales guide--not the philosophy Disney tries to instill in its employees.

If you want to have a positive impact on the situation, I would recommend speaking with a DVC sales manager. Briefly explain your interaction and how you were put-off by the Guide's actions. The manager can use that information to determine if additional training is necessary or perhaps--combined with feedback from others--determine that the individual is not a good fit for the organization. And they can also assign you to someone who is a better match for your own needs.

Good luck.

Yes, I agree with reporting him. This is not the way DVC should be sold! Ours was NO pressure, but we did buy 17 years ago.

You are buying a product, the Guide is there to convince you to buy the product.

Either the product saves you money or it doesn't, you will probably never see your Guide again unless you buy direct. I wouldn't let the experience put you off on the product.

Kind of funny, I got irritated by my guide via phone for the exact opposite reason. He seemed too busy to take the time to discuss my questions in any length. He gave short and often incomplete answers. At one point I asked "do you have time for this right now or should I call back" he got the picture and started be a bit more helpful. However, after that I had already made up my mind about him. In the end, I bought resale wanting VGF.

I have built a successful careers in sales and laugh when I hear high pressure, demeaning or on the other end tactics that shoot the sales guy in the foot. The one thing I have learned is that People buy from people they like, if you are not someone they like, the chances of a sale decrease significantly. Furthermore, the best way to "sell" something to someone is to have them sell it to themselves, good sales people allow the buyer to talk more than they do.

the best way to "sell" something to someone is to have them sell it to themselves, good sales people allow the buyer to talk more than they do.

This is true in our case buying DVC direct. We went along with our daughter and her husband to speak with a guide about buying. They had taken the full tour and heard the spiel the year before and were ready to purchase. Their guide really insulted them when they tried to contact her, she told them to quit wasting her time.

When we got to the DVC office at SSR my son-in-law told them he wanted a new guide. We expressly told the new guide that we were NOT interested and to not try to sell us. Long story short, we ended up buying 210 points at BLT and so did the kids. :rotfl: The product sold itself.

In fact, the guide was shocked that we bought and was sure we would go home and reconsider. We showed him. ;) We've added-on twice since then.

Shame you ended up with the pushy guy. We went to our 'buy-in' session to get FP. We were sitting in this LR with multiple couples talking to sales and were distracted by a 'hard seller' to another couple. Our guide took us into a quiet room. Hubby said she could see she was loosing us because of the other sales man so she changed our environment. She was right. We did go longer but she actually did the math and gave it to us with the idea that we'd call her back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter