Anyone own the Canon G12???

csharpwv

DIS Veteran
I posted a week or so ago asking for advice about a point & shoot alternative to lugging my Canon D50 on long distance vacations and weekend vacations or trips that require air travel when space and weight are both at a premium.

I am found that the G12 might be a great fit for my needs - and I've read the reviews - but I am hoping that someone on the DIS might own one or have keen insight to share.

Anyone?

I carry the G11 with me all the time and like it. Granted, it's not a dslr and therefore lacks in the speed department, but for carrying purposes it does the trick. I also picked up an underwater housing for it and used it extensively in the Galapagos for snorkeling.

We are thinking about picking up the underwater housing for the G12 if we decide to go with it - did you buy the Canon model or did you find an accessory market model?

I have seen one of each - and I actually liked the size of the accessory market model better from what I could see online.

I got the Canon model. I would stick with the brand as general models might not have access to all the buttons. I had to preset my camera to the underwater setting as I couldn't adjust the scene modes once inside the housing. I was able to switch to AV, TV, etc modes and settings.

Word of advice too-test your housing once you get it, and again at your destination before putting the camera inside. Take it in a pool, or bathtub and hold it under for a few minutes. Check for any air bubbles escaping, water drops inside, etc. If it's all good, then you can put the camera in (I still check mine once I get in the water). Before you close it up, check the o-ring to be sure there's not a speck of sand, hair, or crack in it as this can lead to disaster. Once you're finished with your water excursion, soak the housing in fresh water in a sink, etc while you shower/eat etc. Completely dry it off, and when you go to open it, hold it so if there is any water on it, it will drip down and away from your camera. One little drop of salt water can fry electronics! My video camera caught a very light ocean spray and that ruined any filming of Great White sharks on a trip to Australia for me!

I recently bought a p&s to compliment my 7D and T1i. I narrowed it down to the G12, P7000, LX5, and S95. I decided that the G12 and P7000 were just too big to compliment a dslr since they really aren't all that pocketable and it's unlikely that I'd use an external flash on my pocket camera. I bought both the LX5 and S95 to try out (couldn't find an LX5 local) and ended up keeping the S95.

The image quality is really good, the controls are intuitive (love the ring), and the size can't be beat. I would check it out too before settling on the G12...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter