Anyone own both DVC and HGVC?

farrell74

Diz1999
Hi- first post. Just wondering if anyone on here owns DVC and HGVC and if so, how is it working out? We currently own HGVC and are seriously considering DVC as well. We go to Disney at least once a year and always stay at an HGVC club. However, we really love the idea of staying on property. Our plan is to buy enough DVC points to stay on property every other year. We would then use our HGVC on off years and for non-Disney vacations. We are looking to buy resale and are fine with some of the limitations that come with resale ownership as we really would only use this to stay at WDW or maybe DL. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any advice here. Also, has anyone purchased without actually seeing a DVC resort? That's our plan, and maybe my only hesitation. I've done a ton of research on the program, and figure it's Disney, so have no doubt the properties are fantastic.

I did a lot of research on HGVC before deciding to buy into Aulani unseen. In fact I haven't visited Disneyland for over 15 years. I've only visited Disneyworld once. You can not go wrong with buying a resale dvc. You can use it once and might still come out ahead if you decide to sell it.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any advice here. Also, has anyone purchased without actually seeing a DVC resort?

i did this and it worked out fine. internet pics give you a pretty good idea of what to expect.

one suggestion, though, for someone in your situation would be to look for an opportunity to exchange HGVC through RCI for a DVC stay. you'd need to start looking 8-10 months ahead but that is worth a shot IMO...

Hi- first post. Just wondering if anyone on here owns DVC and HGVC and if so, how is it working out? We currently own HGVC and are seriously considering DVC as well. We go to Disney at least once a year and always stay at an HGVC club. However, we really love the idea of staying on property. Our plan is to buy enough DVC points to stay on property every other year. We would then use our HGVC on off years and for non-Disney vacations. We are looking to buy resale and are fine with some of the limitations that come with resale ownership as we really would only use this to stay at WDW or maybe DL. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any advice here. Also, has anyone purchased without actually seeing a DVC resort? That's our plan, and maybe my only hesitation. I've done a ton of research on the program, and figure it's Disney, so have no doubt the properties are fantastic.
Since you already own with Hilton, you're ahead of the game. Your cheapest option is simply to use Hilton but DVC is a great system if you value paying extra to stay on property and will use the points only at DVC resorts.

Also, has anyone purchased without actually seeing a DVC resort?

We bought BLT without ever seeing it or going on a DVC tour. We had considered DVC for a long time and did a lot of reading here and on the internet. Pictures and video that you can find on line definitely let you know what to expect.

Good luck.

one suggestion, though, for someone in your situation would be to look for an opportunity to exchange HGVC through RCI for a DVC stay. you'd need to start looking 8-10 months ahead but that is worth a shot IMO...
I agree with Charles. I think I would certainly try an RCI exchange before buying. I don't know what Hilton owners results have been, but Wyndham owners report pretty good success exchanging into DVC through RCI. You'll have to pay your RCI exchange fee + DVC's $95 fee at checkin, but that's still a pretty low-cost, low-risk alternative.

The exchange through HGVC into DVC is pretty easy in RCI, just call HGVC member services and the exchange fee is 199 plus the 95 DVC fee paid at check in. A Studio is 2400 HGVC points, 1 bedroom 3400 and 2 bedroom is 4800, it doesn't depend on the season its fixed within HGVC. I would try it before staying the DVC resorts are nice but the HGVC resorts are nicer but each have their own pluses and minuses. It would be easier to make a decision after staying, my wife decided against owning both after staying at DVC a couple of times. It depends on what you prefer.

Thanks for the suggestions. We are definitely going to try the RCI route to try out a DVC. I just assumed it would be too hard to get one through RCI, but from what I've been reading, it seems that people are able to do it. We only go during off-peak times anyway (Nov-Feb) so hopefully that helps us out too.

I own both DVC and HGVC. Also own Wyndham. I use DVC points for DVC resorts only, HGVC for HGVC resorts only (usually Vegas and Hawaii), and Wyndham points for DVC resorts through RCI as I can stay at DVC for half the cost. Beware though, that you'll have to be very flexible with dates and take whatever dates become available. Most of the dates I've picked up through RCI are April/May and August/September.

If you have time to travel often, you can't go wrong owing a bit of each.

~ David

I own both and was a diehard HGVC fan (it was the first timeshare that I purchased - yes through the developer) until that I found out that I could trade into HGVC a lot cheaper than using my HGVC points.

I was against DVC for a long time because it is a RTU where HGVC was deeded! Boy I was wrong! If I purchased DVC the time that I purchased HGVC, my initial outlay would still be there!

I took the plunge and bought in 2010 - resale of course - a small contract at Old Key West to try it out. Once I learned the system, WOW! After staying on the property there is a difference!

Here are the pluses....
1. No Yearly Membership fee (HGVC has one - $125)
2. No Reservation Fee (HGVC gives your season at home resort free, other than that it is $49)
3. Can book as little as 1 night (HGVC minimum 3 nights during Club Season)
4. No banking fee (Hilton charges $69)
5. No cancellation fee

What I would suggest is to start with a small contract (you can bank and borrow). If you go to Disney at least twice in one year (and in the park at least 3 days each time), your cost on the Annual Passes as a DVC member ($452.52) will be less than 2 - 3 Day Magic Your Way Tickets.

I would still use your HGVC points for your stay, but if you are going to the park, use the DVC points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter