Anyone lose weight on the cereal diet? Special K or Raisin Bran?

NvrBnToWDW

Mouseketeer
I'm trying to lose a little weight (10 lbs.) before we return to WDW in May and so I decided to try the cereal diet. You know, like on the Special K commercials where you eat cereal for breakfast and lunch. I saw the same thing on Raisin Bran and so I bought some of that, since it's got like 8 grams of fiber per serving. I've just started today, had it for breakfast and lunch and in fact am quite full. I haven't been hungry or snacking at all. I was wondering if anyone had done this and had any success. How much did you lose and in how many weeks?

I eat a bowl of Special K for lunch every day. I eat a Luna bar for breakfast though, I eat it on my commute to work. It's a very gradual weight loss, you also have to be sure to only eat the specified serving size, most people's bowls of cereal are twice the correct amount.

my mom is doing the no carb diet. she has lost around 50 pounds. all she cut out was potatoes. she wasn't a big pasta or bread eater, so it worked for her.

When I had gestational diabetes, I couldn't eat any boxed cereals. They made my sugar levels spike up (even cheerios and especially rice krispies) and I was only having a small portion. I was bummed. Anyway, if they make your sugar level go up, they might leave you wanting more to eat. Just a thought. Maybe you could supplement it with a piece of peanut butter toast or an egg.

Lots of luck to you. If you get 10 pounds off, keep us posted on what you did!

Oops, just re-read your post and noticed you said you didn't get hungry afterwards. Even better. Good luck!

SteeleTig said:
you also have to be sure to only eat the specified serving size, most people's bowls of cereal are twice the correct amount.

This is exactly what I was gonna say. A serving size is such a small amount. Also, pay attention to the kind of MILK they suggest (skim or 2%?) and use the exact amount with that as well.

I am also trying to loose some weight before I go to Florida. Nothing major....just a few lbs so I can indulge in the great foods in Disney! :banana: I lost 10 lbs!! It took me three weeks to do. I didn't follow a certain diet. The cereal diet is easy to follow but your not getting alot of nutrients in it. And after a few weeks, you will get sick of cereal. For breakfast, try something like toast with PB, eggs, (not cooked in butter), fruit, or even a meal bar. (something around 200 calories). For lunch have a sandwitch or a salad of your choice and for dinner just keep it healthy. If you drink alot of water and try to fit a bit of exercise in too. (Not running marathons every night). But try going for a brisk walk every other night. It makes you feel great.

TBH you'd be better off making yourself something like low-fat soup or a sandwich just for the varation factor. A serving of cereal contains a lot of calories for the size of it and doesn't fill me up the way a sandwich containing the same number of calories does. Just make sure you eat healthily (I do <4% fat) and regularly - I always carry an apple because they're only 65 calories a go :goodvibes

The cereal diet does work but only in the short term - if you're serious about healthy, sustainable weight loss then you need to look at the way you eat generally rather than opting for the short term but easy solution.

I know people that have done it successfully so for losing weight before vacation it's a great idea, but every single one of them has put the weight back on because they go back to their old eating habits once they've lost what they want to lose. If you want to keep the weight off, you have to change your lifestyle.

I've been doing my own variation of the cereal diet and so far it is working pretty well for me. Luckily I LOVE cereal.

I've been really trying to watch my fat intake. I cut out butter and mayo and sadly, ranch dressing...I LOVE ranch dressing. I also cut out fast foods and fried foods and try to stick with white meats for meals. But the other thing I am doing is substituing cereal for snacks. There are 3 I keep on hand at all times. Raisin Bran, Fruit & Harvest and Frosted Flakes. I know the Frosted Flakes have little nutritional value, but they are my favorite cereal and I use skim milk so they are pretty much fat free and I figure way better than chips and dip or ice cream with hot fudge on it. I usually have a bagel and bananna for breakfast, a small bowl of cereal for a late morning snack, then
a bagel with turkey for lunch and then a semi-regular dinner, just watching the fat grams and then a bowl of cereal for a snack at night. I also keep a baggie of Cinnamon Life squares around at work for munchie cravings.

I'm doing pretty well on this (I've lost 12 pounds) and I'm not even sick of cereal yet. I can't do diets where you have to count calories and once you reach your limit you are done. I only watch my fat gram intake (I try to stay at 20 grams a day and definitely not over 30) and then have other options if I do get hungry once I've had my limit in fat grams.

Just be aware, though, that it is the CALORIES that make you lose weight. If you ate lard but kept the calories below what you burnt in a day, you'd still lose some weight. The reason people do low fat is, not only is it healthier, but you get much much more food for your calories. 1g of fat contains 9 calories. 1g of fat-free cottage cheese (i.e. protein) contains 1 calorie. For 1,400 calories a day you can eat 155ml of oil or 1.4kg of cottage cheese.

Clearly you now see how this works ;)

I do 1,400 calories a day (1,200 plus "wine calories" which I sometimes save up for a good night out). I don't deny myself anything but often I think it's not "worth" 200 calories on a medium chocolate bar when I can have a ham sandwich (no spread, bbq sauce mmm) for the same number of calories. As a result, I have maybe one chocolate bar a week.

I have done the cereal diet-You can lose about 3-4lb a week if you do it right-as people have said, wiegh the cereal cos what looks like a serving tends to be 2 or 3.( My friends son did it with corn flakes-most disgruntled cos he didn't lose any weight. Turns out the largest size box of cornflakes lasted about 7 meals for him :rotfl: ) The one tip I would make is buy 3 or 4 different cereals, variety does help.I like the ones with freeze dried fruit in them-not sure if you have them over there, but would guess so.

Good luck

The reason you can lose weight with them is that you are only eating a total of about 300 calories for breakfast and lunch (combined), since a serving of special K is only 100 plus 1/2 cup of non-fat milk at about 50. Then if you eat your "sensible" dinner your total calories for the day are under 1000, which is simply too low.

There is NO MIRICLE in the cereal diet that causes you to loose wieght.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter