Anyone have any info on 2011's Half Ironman?

tinkerbellybutton

DIS Veteran
Ok, not sure if this is in the right place, but here goes. My DH wants to participate in the Florida Half Ironman next year. I do know that this years Half Ironman was held today at Fort Wilderness and the surrounding areas. I've searched the web, but haven't found any information on next year's dates, or registration for next year. My hubby is in Iraq right now and he wanted me to check on this for him as he's heard it fills up rather quickly. If anyone has any information on next year's dates please let me know. Thanks so much.

Denise

This is the site for the Florida Half Iron:

http://www.floridahalfironman.com/#gpm1_1

they have opened some events for next year, but not the one at Disney yet. I would say keep checking back on that site and see when it opens.

We were there last year for the Half Iron (not competing though) and stayed at FW. It was wonderful that they host the event, but no fun for those of us staying there. The previous weekend was the Danskin womens sprint tri, so two weekends in a row they had events.

Thank you to your hubby for his service. I hope he gets registered for this event and KICKS BUTT!! Good luck!

Thanks Veronica. I had looked on that website, but didn't see the dates listed yet. I guess I'm jumping the gun a bit, it only took place today. Hahaha. My hubby really wants to do this race and I know it fills up fast so I'm just trying to stay on top of things. Thanks for the well wishes for him for next year. I'm sure he'll do great, I just hope I can get him registered.

if you look on that tab, it says that general entry information is coming soon. Some more exploring shows that last year early entry was Aug-Sept with the fee of $250. It goes up to $275 after that.

I recall that general entry closed in late winter, so keep that in mind. From what I recall, the cap is about 3000 athletes.

Another factor is bike shipping to race site, so be aware of that logistic.

Tom Z has been the race director for that specific race for some time, and he is well respected in the tri community. He is continually looking to improve the course as such. I heard this year they changed the bike course and it was actually faster.

Most of the athletes concern is the run course (3 loops), run course surface, and the FL heat at that time of the year. May can be brutal.

if you look on that tab, it says that general entry information is coming soon. Some more exploring shows that last year early entry was Aug-Sept with the fee of $250. It goes up to $275 after that.

I recall that general entry closed in late winter, so keep that in mind. From what I recall, the cap is about 3000 athletes.

Another factor is bike shipping to race site, so be aware of that logistic.

Tom Z has been the race director for that specific race for some time, and he is well respected in the tri community. He is continually looking to improve the course as such. I heard this year they changed the bike course and it was actually faster.

Most of the athletes concern is the run course (3 loops), run course surface, and the FL heat at that time of the year. May can be brutal.

Thanks so much for this info. We will be driving so the bike just comes with us. And we live in Louisiana so my hubby is used to training in weather conditions almost identical to that in Florida. He's actually in Iraq right now, with temps already around 110, and in his "off" time he is working on training for this event so he should be well prepared for the heat and humidity in Florida in May. I'm glad to know that the entry is around Aug.-Sept. We were under the impression that entry for the next years race started as soon as the current years race was over. Again, thanks so much, this is the info. I was looking for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter