Anyone have a good baked potato soup recipe?

I have 2 favorites:
Potato and Double Corn Chowder

Ingredients
1 can evaporated milk
1 can creamed corn
1 can whole kernel corn
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
8 strips bacon cooked and crumbled
1 bag hashbrowns (O’Brien)
2 tablespoons worchestershire sauce
2 teaspoons hot sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Place all ingredients in a crockpot and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.

Serve with a dallop of sour cream on top

Cream of Potato Soup

Ingredients:
3-4 medium potatoes (baked, skinned and cut up)
1 small-medium onion (quartered and sliced)
*optional – ¼ - ½ lb sliced mushrooms
¼ tsp. white pepper
2 tsp. dill weed
2 tsp. parsley flakes
½ cup flour
1/3 cup butter (5 ½ tblsp)
1 can chicken broth (13-14 oz)
3 cups milk (or 2 ½ cups skim and ½ cup whipping cream)
¼ - ½ tsp. minced garlic (to taste)
½ lb shredded cheddar cheese

In a large pot (Dutch oven type) melt butter and cook onion (and *mushrooms) with garlic until tender. Add flour, stirring until coated. Add dill weed, parsley flakes, white pepper, chicken broth and milk and cook until bubbly (about 10 minutes) stirring occasionally. Add potatoes and cheese and cook until cheese is melted (stir to mix, about 1-2 minutes). Serve with toppings like : bacon, chopped ham, croutons, chopped green onion and shredded cheese.

Use same recipe for cream of broccoli soup substituting cooked chopped broccoli for potatoes.

I know you want a crockpot recipe but if you find yourself in a hurry I have found that the soup starter from Bear Claw sold in the grocery store is surprisingly good. It comes in an envelope. I made it using the additional ingredients listed to make "stuffed potato soup" which was 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled and 1 cup or so of shredded cheddar cheese. Anyway, just a thought for a quick and satisfying meal.

I make the world's best potato soup. It's thick and filling, so delicious. It's a warm, comforting food that tastes like childhood. My family will eat bowls and bowls at a sitting. Everyone who tastes is demands the recipe, but only my youngest daughter can make it like I do. Well, I don't actually have a recipe; I just put things together. Seriously, I've given it to loads of people, and they always say it's just not good when they make it. It's all in the technique, and you have to SEE it done.

Anyway, you're welcome to try -- sorry, no crockpot for this recipe:

For each person, slice one medium potato paper thin -- use plain old cheap bagged potatoes. Slice one small onion paper thin as well. Boil 'til they're almost mush. Be a little skimpy with your water -- use just enough to cover the food.

In a cereal bowl, spoon out about a cup of self-rising flour and shape it into a "well". Into the well, pour one well-beaten egg and use your fingers to make small, irregular dumplings. Drop them into the boiling water and stir gently. Cook 'til they're done.

Remove from the heat and pour in maybe 1/2 cup cream.
Add salt and lots of black pepper.

It's a very basic, depression-era recipe -- no bacon, cheese, etc. That it costs about a dollar for a big pot is just a bonus. On the negative side, it's very carb-heavy; as much as we ate this growing up, this soup is probably why I'm the only non-diabetic child in my family.

Easy Baked Potato Soup:

1 bag frozen hashbrowns
3 cans of chicken broth (I usually throw 4-5 bouillion cubes in the crockpot with the correct amount of water & call it good)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 onion diced (I use frozen diced onion or dried onion flakes)
black pepper to taste.

Put all these ingredients in the crockpot & cook on low all day. 1 hour before serving, cut up a block of low fat cream cheese & stir it into the soup(don't use FF as it won't melt). Serve with bacon, cheese, green onion, etc.

This is one of our FAVORITE soups. There are never any leftovers & I'm considering doubling the recipe just so we can have leftovers. Its that good!! I keep the ingredients on hand at all times for a quick, easy dinner.

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

1 qt heavy cream
1 qt chicken stock
10 pieces bacon
4 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
4 russet potatoes baked and diced
1/3 cup green onions chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 tbs garlic, minced
2 tbs butter
1 tsp salt
1tsp pepper
sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped chives for garnish

Cut bacon strips in half, lengthwise, and chop into bite-sized pieces. Fry together onions, garlic, butter, bacon, and salt for 5-7 minutes.

Add stock, 1/2 quart of cream and UNCOOKED potatoes. Simmer until reduced by half.

Add remaining cream and baked potatoes, simmer for about 20 minutes. Removed from heat, stir in cheese.

Serve topped with sour cream, cheese, and chives.

The recipe I use is super easy and the kids LOVE it

4 large potatoes
1/4 cup flour
2 tbs butter
1/4 cup onion
1 can evaporated milk
1 can chicken broth
bacon, cheese, sour cream to top

1. Clean and bake the potatoes in the microwave, just like you would for baked potatoes. When done, set aside.
2. Chop some onion, about 1/4 cup.
3. Put butter in a pot, melt and sautee the chopped onion.
4. Add the flour, stir. Add evaporated milk and chicken broth. Stir well.
5. While waiting for ^ to come to a boil, take 2 potatoes and cut in half, cut each half in half (both times long ways). The slice.
6. With the other 2 potatoes, peel off the skins and smash, leaving a little chunky still.
7. Once the liquid comes to a boil, add the potatoes, stir and let it boil 5 min. Stirring occasionally.
8. Turn off heat and let it thicken.
9. Serve topped with cheese and any other toppings you desire.

This takes about 25min to make and serves our family of 5 each a decent bowl and I serve with pigs in a blanket and plain rolls.

This is the recipe from Disneyland's Carnation Cafe on Main Street. It is asked for so much that they keep copies of it and hand it out when you ask for it. I haven't gotten around to making it myself, but I sure love it when I'm at Disneyland!!!

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

Serves 6

1 pound bacon, roughly chopped
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
3/4 cup diced celery
4 large Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
4 medium red potatoes, diced
1/4 cup flour
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
Coarse salt, freshly ground pepper, to taste
4 cups heavy whipping cream
Optional garnishes: chopped chives, bacon bits, sour cream, shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese

In a 6- to 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp.
Remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserving half for garnish. In bacon fat, cook onions, carrots, and celery until the onions are translucent. Add potatoes and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Whisk in flour and stir constantly over low heat until the flour is cooked and the mixture has thickened slightly, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add chicken stock and half of the bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
Over medium-high heat, bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Mash some of the potatoes for thicker, creamier texture. Add whipping cream and simmer for 5 minutes.
Adjust thickness by adding water or stock. Soup should have a creamy consistency.
Season to taste, and garnish with toppings.
Cooks’ notes: Soak diced potatoes in cold water until ready to use to keep them from turning brown. To make bacon easier to chop, lightly freeze.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter