Anyone get the HTC Thunderbolt 4G?

FINFAN

Mom to Tinkbell
DS has been saving/looking, and looking/saving for almost 2 years now...and the only thing he is sure of is hoping to get 4G. The size of the Thunderbolt is a bummer, and the upcoming Bionic is the same. Given that info he is thinking he will have to consider the larger size, but is not a fan of getting the first model of anything, at least not until the bugs are worked out. So , since the phone has only been out since 3/17...not a lot of feedback yet. We are staying Verizon as it has the best reception for us with our DD at school. So, anyone have any experiences or info on the Thunderbolt? Also, the insurance plan/replacement deductible is more affordable and better coverage than the IPhone which for a 16 year old, is huge.

My husband HAD to have it. I also warned him about getting something brand new like that without the kinks worked out. Well, he hates the darn thing because the battery runs out daily before his work day is over! So much that he wants to return it! A friend of his just asked him about the phone because friends 18 yo wants one and he flat out told him to run the other way! If it was me I'd definitely wait til they have that corrected.

thsnks for the post...DS asked the sales guy and he hinted that the battery life is not as good as the clamshell phone he has now, but considering the limitation on his current phone, yadda yadda yadda...
hmmmm, bummer, and will certainly tell DS!

I think I remember when reading reviews that there was some sort of "super" battery available (for extra charge) that might extend the life of the battery? I might be remembering incorrectly and I don't think i will be able to locate the article because it was just one of those featured stories on the homepage of yahoo. It was called something like "The future of smartphones".

I know its not a lot of information, but maybe your DS can ask if something like this is available?

Maggie

I think I remember when reading reviews that there was some sort of "super" battery available (for extra charge) that might extend the life of the battery? I might be remembering incorrectly and I don't think i will be able to locate the article because it was just one of those featured stories on the homepage of yahoo. It was called something like "The future of smartphones".

I know its not a lot of information, but maybe your DS can ask if something like this is available?

Maggie

There is but that battery is huge and makes the phone a real clunker.

http://www.firstdroid.com/2011/03/19/htc-thunderbolt-extended-battery-hands-on/

I was looking at them but the size is a factor for me. Why are phones getting larger instead of smaller?

I want a small phone with internet access, darn it.

And one with a longer lasting battery. I've currently got a Droid and with normal use for me, the battery lasts almost all day but it would be nice to have it last longer on the days I use it more.

Smartphone batteries drain fast, especially if you're using it a lot. I listen to audiobooks or music on my phone almost all day.

I just keep a charge cord at my desk. If the battery is getting low in the afternoon I plug it in. If I had a job where I was on the go all day it might be a problem, but I remember when I first got my Droid I was playing with it CONSTANTLY and killing the battery every day. Now that I'm used to it, I only rarely have to charge it and that's on a day that's got particularly heavy usage.

Another problem might be the 4G - if you don't have 4G in your area is the phone wasting battery searching for it?

Another problem might be the 4G - if you don't have 4G in your area is the phone wasting battery searching for it?

Yes, even if you have it in your area it wastes a lot of juice just back in forth picking it up and losing it. The biggest thing on the Thunderbolt (and its cousin the EVO) is the screen. Those giant screens just suck the batteries dry in a blink. They have done benchmark tests and the screen is eating about about 70% of the battery in most tests.

They are supposed to be releasing a patch to allow you to turn the 4G radio off unless you need it like you can do for Wifi and GPS. That should help some but until they can find ways to help with the screen power consumption these giant HTC phones will have short charge lives.

I was looking at them but the size is a factor for me. Why are phones getting larger instead of smaller?

I want a small phone with internet access, darn it.

And one with a longer lasting battery. I've currently got a Droid and with normal use for me, the battery lasts almost all day but it would be nice to have it last longer on the days I use it more.

People want to do more and more with the phones (like watch movies, read books, etc.) so the screens are getting bigger!

I have an LG Vortex which is a Droid but has a smaller footprint. I really like it.

Maggie

thnks everyone. Personally, I don't think he needs the 4G...and he s in high school so no way to have a battery plug in. I agree on the getting larger thing...ah well, the search continues. I think he figures no sooner would he plop his $ donw on a 3G then all his friends will go 4G. Ihitnk he is more of a Blackberry type kid...he likes the clamshell for durability and is not a fan of touchscreens...but what do I know....:rolleyes1

Now that is looks like no new iPhone in June, the rumors have started that the iPhone 5 will be released this Fall with 4G. -- Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!