Anyone get rate reduced for ASMo because of pool closure?

cjnix29

DIS Veteran
Anyone able to get a preferred rate reduced to a standard due to the refurbish?

I don't think that folks at the deluxe resorts got reduced rates when thier pools were closed so I wouldn't count on it here.

Except at a deluxe you are paying for your view, not how close you are to the pool, which is the reason for preferred at the values.

I know we didn't get a discount at Yacht Club when stormalong bay was being rehabbed. (and I booked there 95% for the pool as we were staying one night just to be able to swim)

Are the pref. rooms at the values not based on the pool and the lobby as well?

The best thing to do is just get out of ASMo. Having the main pool closed for such a long time is truly sad :sad2: . And as for fighting the extra crowds at the Mighty Ducks pool, or hiking across the parking lot to the ASMu pool.... no thanks. I will be changing my resort for October.

I don't expect WDW to give me a discount, but neither should they expect guests to stay there. I really feel sorry for those folks who don't visit boards like these, and who will be showing up for vacations this fall and get quite an unpleasant surprise. :sad2:

cjnix29 said:
Except at a deluxe you are paying for your view, not how close you are to the pool, which is the reason for preferred at the values.

The preferred views at the values are generally not so much for the pool but rather for their proximity to the main building for the food court, etc.

I think the only buildings that are now NOT preferred are Mighty Ducks and Love Bug. If guests insist on moving from the preferred location to a non-preferred because of the pool situation, they may be forced to give some preferred rooms at a non-preferred rate.
I am still debating wheter or not to get out of ASMo for our Sept/Oct trip. We usually request Mighty Ducks for the quiet pool which is usually much less crowded.
Does anyone think that during this time period enough people will switch resorts making Movies the least crowded of the 3 All-Stars?

is it the main pool and quiet pools ? if its just the main pool then they will tell you to use the quiet pools or they suggest you use the next resort closer to allstar movie pools. we stayed at the BCV one year and the pool was closed we were told to use the quiet pools and BW pool. I told them not the scarey clown pool, thats why we were not staying at BWVs :rotfl:

When is the main pool scheduled to reopen? We are staing at the preferred section because of that pool. We are going the week of Christmas.

We switched from movies to music today. It was a hassle and had to go thru guest services and revenue. I flat out told them they should be renovating in the winter and not the heat of sept and oct. But what do i know. I was pretty mad as I am sure the people who dont read these boards will be when they check in. We booked movies for the theme, otherwise I would have booked POP

I'm pretty sure the Fantasia pool at the ASMo is closed until Dec 11 for refurb. in which case I won't get to use it either. And no we did not get a discounted rate. I had tried to book at the ASMu first but that one wasn't available, probably because the ASMo pool is closed....(well the Duck Pond pool is still open) :thumbsup2

If Contemporary guests where not given discounts when the rooms on other floors were being renovated & when they are currently working on the 4th floor, then when they start Concourse Steakhouse & Food N Fun Center, there was no mention of discounts. Basically what I am saying is, the renovation at the Contemporary should warant discounted rooms, so the pool at All Star Resorts being closed is a minor thing.

The preferred views at the values are generally not so much for the pool but rather for their proximity to the main building for the food court, etc.

According to Disney
Preferred Location
Take advantage of the close proximity to the pool and Guest facilities.

This is a big deal if your little ones were planning to visit this pool. Disney should tell folks know ahead of time by sending out emails or letters. I agree with others that the folks who don't know are going to be really upset when they arrive. Looks like I'll probably be staying at the A/S Movies in October. We arrive late Saturday 10/14 and move to the WLV the morning of the 15th, so need a place to lay our heads for the night and grab coffee in the AM. Looks like availability will be open at the Movies. However, this does not look good for discounts at the other value resorts. I would guess if anyone is planning to stay at Pop this October and are waiting for a discount, I would book now at rack rate, because you will be lucky to even get a room at full price now. This will throw a wrench into October discounts. However, there may be availability at the A/S Movies. :confused3

The best thing for them to do is to drop the preferred price while this is going on. It would be the fair thing to do.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life said:
If Contemporary guests where not given discounts when the rooms on other floors were being renovated & when they are currently working on the 4th floor, then when they start Concourse Steakhouse & Food N Fun Center, there was no mention of discounts. Basically what I am saying is, the renovation at the Contemporary should warant discounted rooms, so the pool at All Star Resorts being closed is a minor thing.

Having a main pool closed at your resort during your vacation is not minor thing! I would say a pool is an integral part of many people's holiday.

We stayed at the ASMo for 2 weeks in May of 2003. The Fantasia pool was closed the day before we got there and didn't open up again until the day after we left. I didn't find out until we checked in. I was sooooo disappointed, but I didn't have the good sense to think about switching resorts. They didn't offer us anything except a paper saying that the pool was closed. A free meal at the food court would have been nice!

We were staying in the Dalmatian section so we could easily get to the Mighty Duck pool, but that was too crowded. We walked over to the Music. Not a long walk at all, just right across a side street, but then again the weather wasn't like it might be in September. I thought it was terrible that they didn't let me know ahead of time. I was on the Disboards at the time, but didn't see the info posted anywhere. At least now we all have a "heads-up" before our vacation, so we have options.

When I first found out about this closure I called guest services and the lady that I spoke to was not very pleasant. I was very kind in explaining our situation about the last time we stayed at the Movies and she said that she was sorry (but sure did not sound it) that it has happened to two of my vacations, but there was nothing she could do unless I wanted to pay for an upgrade to a moderate as there were no rooms left at the values. She said that the resorts don't even know until just before the pools are going to be worked on. It's all up to the scheduling of the pool management company. She sure wasn't in to sprinkling pixie dust.

I got off the phone very upset, checked availability online. Lo and behold there WAS availability at other values. Come to find out she was only looking for "free dining" rooms. Well, of course, we all know that they are gone. So, anyway I called back - like I hear so many times here on the boards - and got the best gentleman. He was able to switch me and my package to another value with no problem. He couldn't be nicer. So if at first you don't succeed - now say it with me - TRY, TRY, AGAIN or maybe that should be CALL, CALL AGAIN!!!!!!

One last note - if you are there at Disney mostly for the parks, you'll be fine. You'll be at the parks most of the time - maybe you'll even be at the water parks. This time however, we are only getting 10 day passes for a 16 day stay, so to us it was major!

DebIreland said:
Having a main pool closed at your resort during your vacation is not minor thing! I would say a pool is an integral part of many people's holiday.
Then how come a few years ago when my family & I stayed at the Wilderness Lodge we did not get a discount since the pool was being renovated, so I guess that is an integral part? However we did not get a discount. Besides guests pay a lot more for Deluxe Resorts, then Value Resorts so tell me who there should get a discount on rooms if the pool is to be closed for renovation?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter