Anyone from the Maritimes drive to Disney World?

Jo2019

Mouseketeer
My brother is trying to convince me to drive, but it is 30 hours! Is it that terrible? Wondering where people usually stop etc.

Tinkershelly

<font color=royalblue>DisneyWorld trip winner!<br>
I know a few people who drive from the Halifax area, and I'm going to attempt it myself in March. We (3 adults who can all drive) are renting a van and driving to Miami for a cruise, then driving to Disney for a few days, then driving home. The plan is to drive straight through without stopping to sleep, switching out drivers and catching naps in the back. The uncertainty is with the weather in March of course. We don't have our route nailed down yet, but roughly we would take the Trans Canada to Houlton Me and drive mostly on the I95 with some deviation around Boston and New York. The reason we're trying this is because the flight prices are very high for this time of year, we're going to need extra luggage and that will drive our flight costs up, and it seemed a more direct way for us to get to all of our destinations. If we were doing only the cruise, or only Disney then I would have insisted on flying. Also I've always wanted to try it.

I'm sure there are others on this board who have done it, and I would love to hear about their experiences, and also their tips and tricks.

Jo2019

Mouseketeer
I know a few people who drive from the Halifax area, and I'm going to attempt it myself in March. We (3 adults who can all drive) are renting a van and driving to Miami for a cruise, then driving to Disney for a few days, then driving home. The plan is to drive straight through without stopping to sleep, switching out drivers and catching naps in the back. The uncertainty is with the weather in March of course. We don't have our route nailed down yet, but roughly we would take the Trans Canada to Houlton Me and drive mostly on the I95 with some deviation around Boston and New York. The reason we're trying this is because the flight prices are very high for this time of year, we're going to need extra luggage and that will drive our flight costs up, and it seemed a more direct way for us to get to all of our destinations. If we were doing only the cruise, or only Disney then I would have insisted on flying. Also I've always wanted to try it.

I'm sure there are others on this board who have done it, and I would love to hear about their experiences, and also their tips and tricks.
Thanks for the info. I am in Halifax too. Frustrated about the lack of direct flights to MCO. Plus last trip the airline ended up changing our itinerary drastically which was a pain.

• isabellea

Combining beach and Disney!
    Not from the maritimes but we do the drive to FL from Montreal every year (sometimes twice per year). We like driving straight-thru on the way down and taking our time on the way back (unless we go for only 1 week then we don't stop). NYC and Washington traffic are awful unless you drive through those at night and we're very happy we got a EZPass transponder for those. We simply ordered it from NY Tolls website. Cost was 20$usd and it came with 20$ in our account. We also have a Sunpass for FL tolls but you don't need it for Orlando unless you want to avoid most of I-4 (worst interstate in the USA imo). If you ever drive to Miami, it's a must since the FL turnpike is Sunpass only (no cash toll available).

Minniemoo15

DIS Veteran
    I grew up driving down from NB every year with my family. The way down was always exciting and we would take our time, stopping usually twice overnight (around Connecticut and Georgia). The way home was not as exciting and we would drive straight through with my parents taking turns. I actually have very fond memories of the drives.

Now as a parent myself I much prefer to fly (being trapped in a car with my kids for 32 hours is my nightmare) YHZ has tons more direct options than anything we have here in NB so that’s where we fly out of.

Hamptonite

Canada eh?

Likely shave some time off by going through St. Stephen/Calais, Me and then to Bangor.

caisland

Mouseketeer
    Drove it twice. 1993, 2006.
    DW finds the drive too long.
    We drove to Manchester NH in 2008, 2009, 2015 and flew Southwest. Exchange was much better so flights were pretty cheap.
    We have family near Boston so we stayed there first night. I'd rather drive a longer first day to shorten trip on last day.
    In laws drive down and stay for Jan-early April. they drive to Danbury, Conn first night, North Carolina for second night.
    They like going route 81 and 84 around Philly, New York and Washington. we got stuck on the Washington beltway in 2006 for about an hour.
    Hoping to do snowbird sometime.

• Tinkershelly

Likely shave some time off by going through St. Stephen/Calais, Me and then to Bangor.
    Even in the winter? Google maps says it takes 5 minutes more time but is 55km longer to go via Houlton and people say it's a more reliable road. We're planning to go through that section on a Thursday late morning/early afternoon if that matters.

Tinkershelly

we're very happy we got a EZPass transponder for those. We simply ordered it from NY Tolls website. Cost was 20$usd and it came with 20$ in our account. We also have a Sunpass for FL tolls but you don't need it for Orlando unless you want to avoid most of I-4 (worst interstate in the USA imo). If you ever drive to Miami, it's a must since the FL turnpike is Sunpass only (no cash toll available).
    Thanks for this information as we're going to Miami first then Orlando. I'm going to get both of these for sure.

ilovetotravel1977

DIS Veteran
    Even in the winter? Google maps says it takes 5 minutes more time but is 55km longer to go via Houlton and people say it's a more reliable road. We're planning to go through that section on a Thursday late morning/early afternoon if that matters.
    I've driven both (not to WDW, but in the winter) and I would do Houlton.

Hamptonite

Canada eh?
    Yeah, I am less than 1.5 hours from Calais and frequently take that route to Bangor. It is not a freeway and is windy up and down a mountain with Transport traffic. Maybe not the best choice during the winter.

• wendyt_ca

DIS Veteran
    I am from Saint John, NB and we just drove down last month over Christmas and New Years. That is the 4th time we have done the drive.
    Our stops vary each time. We sometimes pick places to have a quick visit.

Last month we stopped for a night just outside of Boston. Then the next morning drove to Newark, NJ because we wanted a day in Manhattan. We took the train in and went to see Frozen on Broadway. Then the following day we did a big drive day and stopped in Richmond, GA just outside of Savannah.
    On the drive home we stretched it a bit too. The first day was a long day because we drove from Orlando - Richmond, VA. We did this so the next morning was a short drive to NYC because we then stayed in Manhattan for 2 nights so we could spend a couple of days there and went to Hamilton and the Book of Mormon. Then we drove from there to Saint John on our last driving day.

Previous trips we haven't stopped as long.

April 2017 we stopped on the first night in Portland (because we worked half a day). The next stop was Myrtle Beach (we spent a bit of time there in the morning). Then went straight to Orlando from there.
    On the drive home I forget where our first stop was. But I know we took the inland route through the mountains and stopped in Bethlehem, PA.

Oct 2016 was similar we stopped in Newark and went into NYC and saw cats. And stopped in Georgia near Savannah then Orlando.
    On the way home we took the inland mountain way and stopped I think in VA and PA.

Our first drive was over Christmas/NYE 2014. Our first stop was Chambersberg, PA. The next day we drove to again Richmond Hill, GA (stopped for an hour or 2 in DC to see the white house, etc) then Orlando.
    On the way home we stopped in Sterling, VA then Haverhill, MA then home.

wendyt_ca

DIS Veteran
    I've only ever taken the airline from Calais to Bangor when heading that way and 2 of our trips were December and one April and we haven't had any issues.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates