anyone from Jersey know about Asbury Park?

abmitch01

DIS Veteran
saw an oceanfront hotel deal for $79 a night. Thinking of a quick, cheap summer trip for the kids. Haven't been there in 3 decades. Anyone know what it's like in Asbury Park?

It is like a deserted, unkempt city on a beach. Lots of potholes, lots of places you don't want to be after 6 pm and somewhere you don't really want to drive through after dark with your kids. Not much to do.

That's why the hotel on the beach is 79 bucks when all the other hotels in the nearby towns are like 199 and up for a night.

Sorry, I love the jersey shore, but when we drove through Asbury Park last year, I couldn't believe the state of it.

thank you! that's probably why the place looks nice but has horrible reviews on Tripadvisor. Glad I didn't book it.

My suggestion DON'T book a hotel there. Try Spring Lake, point pleasant. You will not be happy if you book a hotel in Asbury Park.

While the area is on an upswing, I still wouldn't stay there. Parts of it are okay, but some areas are pretty scary still. I remember it 3 decades ago - my grandparents had a home in Avon, so we'd go to Asbury Park at least once a week.

I wouldn't stay in Asbury Park, it's really lost a lot of its glory over the years. I don't even think the Stone Pony is still there - it's a bar where Bruce Springsteen used to drop in on regularly.

Spring Lake, Deal and Avon are beautiful, but I don't think they have any hotels. There might be B&B's, though.

If you want a beach town hotel with a boardwalk and attractions, Point Pleasant is much nicer.

There is another side to Asbury Park, but I am not sure I would bring a family to stay there...... I live close to Asbury, and I could say many things. It has been a struggle for this town, and many of the problems there are not the town's "fault". The state has caused problems for AP, and of course the problems with the economy has hurt them more than most other towns.

That said, it IS slowly making a come back. Has many new clubs and restuarants, and new condos are going up. The beach itself, is nice and wide, and attractive. Younger people are moving in, many with $$, and they are renovating buildings and opening new businesses. There is a small gay community there, and they are helping the town out as well, a very positive influence, IMHO.

Nearby, you would have more for the kids to do at Pt Pleasant, Manasquan, Belmar, Avon-by-the-Sea, or further south, Long Beach Island......

Just reading the name Asbury Park brings back memories. We lived in NJ (Short Hills) growing up. A fwe times each summer, my mom wold drive us to The Shore. We would go to Beacon Beach in Point Pleasant from about 10am to 3pm. Then we would drive up to Asbury Park and spend he rest of the day on the Boardwalk. I loved the carosel, the ferris wheel, and frozen custard. I wish I could go there today! :(

I'm not too familiar with north jersey but consider Ocean City, Avalon, Cape May or Wildwood, they are all about another hour and half more south down the parkway. There is quite bit to do in each town with Wildwood having the most as they have two piers with rides. There are two books we use when traveling for cheap hotels. We use mostly the second one listed. Good luck.

Here they are:
http://www.roomsaver.com/
http://www.travelcoupons.com/

I'm not too familiar with north jersey but consider Ocean City, Avalon, Cape May or Wildwood, they are all about another hour and half more south down the parkway. There is quite bit to do in each town with Wildwood having the most as they have two piers with rides. There are two books we use when traveling for cheap hotels. We use mostly the second one listed. Good luck.

Here they are:
http://www.roomsaver.com/
http://www.travelcoupons.com/

I've never heard Asbury Park referred to as North Jersey :rotfl:

Asbury Park does have some nice restaurants, but if you make a wrong turn somewhere, you can end up in a not so pleasant area really fast. Unless I have to go there for something, I don't.

I'd look for something around Point Pleasant. Jenkinson's is great for the kids, nice beaches, the whole boardwalk scene is alive and well in the summer and you'll have a lot of fun.

Another veto for Asbury Park. Like others have said, try Point Pleasant, especially if you have kids, great boardwalk and beach. Long Branch has Pier Village (www.piervillage.com) which is nice, but not much else going on there.

Asbury is not the place it might one time have been.

Wildwood is much nicer and there are a LOT of towns along the jersey shore to visit

"I've heard of this charming place in...uh..Asbury Park...It's..uh...Al's Motel..."

"Al's Motel...sounds like a place where you bring your own lightbulbs.."

"When a girl's taken to a place called Al's Motel, she better not count on dinner..."

:rolleyes1

If you follow the boardwalk by foot or bicylce one town over, you hit Ocean Grove. It is gorgeous here with every building being Victorian. Polar opposite of AP...great restaurants and Bed & Breakfasts.

I live about 30 minutes north of Asbury Park and agree with all pp..DON"T take the kids to AP. As soon as you go about 2 miles north of AP there are TONS of beautiful family friendly towns to vacation in. Ocean Grove is the next town over and it's great, then Bradley beach, Belmar, Sea Girt, Spring Lake all great places for a vacation with the kids. Point Pleasant has a very family friendly boardwalk , nice beaches, great restaurants. Lots of great places at the Jersey Shore, just not Asbury Park.

I think that OP has made up her mind already about the hotel, but I will add, in the 90's I went to a funeral for a girl who was shot and killed on the street in Asbury Park, apparently her boyfriend was part of a drug deal gone bad.

I second Point Pleasant, tons of stuff to do, however lots of people. I feel perfectly safe there.

My friend's hubby is a cop in Asbury Park. He worked overtime on a gang dispute at the high school a few weeks back. Let's just say, it is a town I drive through with the doors locked & we don't stop.
I also agree Pt. Pleasant is a nice "family place." They have fireworks weekly, carnival games, movie night, an aquarium, a fun house, kiddie rides, mini golf...oh yeah & the beach. We went to the weekly Radio Disney shows on the beach. Lots of fun!
It is a shame. Asbury Park needs serious help. As a kid, I remember thinking it was the best place in the world. (WDW wasn't built yet)

really sad about how bad it's gotten. Went a few times as a kid and loved it.

Now that I decided not to book that hotel, I'm open to almost anywhere driveable from upstate NY. Just got back from Disney and hadn't really planned on taking a summer vaca. But would like to take one with DBF and his kids and mine. They are getting older and we may not have that many yrs when they will still want to go with us. last yr we rented a house in NH near a beach, it rained the whole time but was still fun

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter