Anyone fly with their personal Whill Ci?

Chickenlady

Mouseketeer
I've been using my Whill Ci for about 5 months now and Love it! One of the reasons I purchased it was because of it's ease of transport. I can personally take it apart and put it in my car in no time. It's been all around the East Coast already. But I've got several trips coming up that I'm going to be taking commercial airlines for and don't know if I'm willing to risk damaging my "baby". Has anyone here put their Whill Ci on a plane? I'm figuring I'll have to remove the seat cushion and I think I can take off the joy stick....but otherwise, I'm at a loss as to how it would be best given to the ground crew for under plane storage. Any hints? I haven't checked on the battery yet (totally sealed lithium ion) but it is so light that it wouldn't be a problem to put it in a bag with the seat cushion and carried into the cabin.

I was looking at the manual for the Whill Ci at the link below:

Whill Ci and

https://activehs.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Model_Ci_User_Manual-1.pdf

I also found the F.A.Q. at the link below:

http://whill.us/faq-whill-power-wheelchair-personal-mobility/

And under the F.A.Q., I saw the following:

Can I take a WHILL Personal EV on an Airplane?
Model Ci
WHILL Model Ci’s rechargeable lithium-ion battery 210-085 has been tested on UN Manual of Tests and Criteria Part 3 Subsection 38.3 and certified to meet the applicable ICAO, IATA and FAA requirements. However, WHILL Model Ci personal mobility device has not been specifically tested for air transport.
Use the following guides to help ensure a smooth and worry-free experience:

Download the Airline Handling Guide (attach to device for airport personnel to reference)

Download the User Handling Guide for Air Travel (keep on hand for quick reference)
Airlines require measures to ensure accidental activation of Model Ci does not occur. Model Ci provides a “Lock” feature via the iPhone app. You may also place an “Air-Safe” plug (Purchase Here) into the charger port which will immobilize the device.

For additional information, most airlines have resources and services for individuals needing additional assistance while traveling. Here are links to popular domestic airlines accessibility services website pages:
Please contact your airlines for questions and additional support.

They had some links referring you to airlines, etc.

And here is another review of the Whill-ci if you are interested. Some of the commentors at the end of the review said they just check it at the gate, but after Googling, I couldn't find out how anyone might better prepare and protect their Whill-ci

https://spintheglobe.net/dir/2018/11/30/review-whill-model-ci/

You probably know all of this information already, but maybe someone else will come to help you out.

Here is another DISboards member, arminnie, with a thread about her new wheelchair.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...or-rental-scootaround-update-post-34.3709690/

At any rate, I would download some of the links above and check the links to whatever airline you will be traveling on.

@RaySharpton has a great thread on flaying with his mobility device ( not sure if it is the same one) but I would guess he would know and be able to answer question you had

Here is The tread he did on flying with his mobility device
Thanks Gap2368 but his isn't even close. His can be folded and put into a carrying bag. It is not practical to try to breakdown the Whill Ci into separate parts to put it onto a plane. It fits well in the back of a car like that but the parts are not in bags and can easily be damaged if taken apart and tossed into the baggage hold. In one piece it weighs about 114 lbs., so not exactly portable in a bag.

I was looking at the manual for the Whill Ci at the link below:

Whill Ci and

https://activehs.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Model_Ci_User_Manual-1.pdf

I also found the F.A.Q. at the link below:

http://whill.us/faq-whill-power-wheelchair-personal-mobility/

And under the F.A.Q., I saw the following:

They had some links referring you to airlines, etc.

And here is another review of the Whill-ci if you are interested. Some of the commentors at the end of the review said they just check it at the gate, but after Googling, I couldn't find out how anyone might better prepare and protect their Whill-ci

https://spintheglobe.net/dir/2018/11/30/review-whill-model-ci/

You probably know all of this information already, but maybe someone else will come to help you out.

Here is another DISboards member, arminnie, with a thread about her new wheelchair.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...or-rental-scootaround-update-post-34.3709690/

At any rate, I would download some of the links above and check the links to whatever airline you will be traveling on.
Thanks Ray. I did see all of that but also in the Instruction Manual it does tell you how to (relatively) easily remove the joystick. I think the in itself would protect the joystick from damage. That along with removing the 6 lb battery would disable the chair. The ground crew would have to free wheel it to the conveyor belt and re-lock the wheels but that shouldn't be too difficult.

I think I remember a thread on this mobility device have you tried to look and see if you can find the thread and see if who every has it has flown with there.

I’m the person who owns one. I have not flown with mine.

But I spent a half a day with a Whill rep who flew into New Orleans. He did not specifically come to see me but to set up the first dealership in New Orleans. I’d emailed the company that I was interested so he contacted me while here.

The Whill rep was not disabled but he has flown all over with the chair doing demos etc. he had not had any problems. He is based out of Orlando so uses that airport a lot.

As for the pronunciation it is Will the letter c and the letter I. The c and i are the model number. The name Whill came from the word wheel and the will to go out and be active.

We only travel with our daughter’s manual wheelchair, not her power one.
But, we have considered traveling with it in the past. Besides looking in the owner’s manual, we contacted the wheelchair tech we worked with and got some helpful hints.
The biggest pieces of advice he had for us were:
- remove the controller if possible and bring it one the plane or wrap it well in bubble wrap
- remove anything that’s not bolted on (seat Velcro’d on, etc.)
- check with the airline regarding batteries and how to handle them
- fold anything down to make the wheelchair the smallest ‘package’ possible
- if possible, find out the door size for the cargo compartment for your plane.
Height is most critical; if the wheelchair is too high, they will load it sideways.
- make a simple written explanation of things the handlers would need to know. For example, how to put it into and out of freewheeling so it can be pushed.
Print and laminate it and zip tie it to the wheelchair.
Some people feel their wheelchair gets more ‘respect’ if they include a picture of themselves on the instructions.
- take a picture of the wheelchair before handing it over, so you have proof of no damage before the flight. Some people take the wheelchair for a check up before traveling - more proof it wasn’t damaged before.
- take a small toolkit with you; TSA might question it, but you have a right to carry it with a wheelchair.
- when you get off the plane, check screws and bolts for tightness. The jostling in the Air during the trip may loosen some things.

The disABILITIES FAQs thread also has a post about air travel. That thread is stuck near the top of this board and I think the specific post is about #15..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!