Anyone familiar with Sopite Syndrome?

Elizakapeka

Mouseketeer
I have been on 3 cruises. The first one I couldn't keep my eyes open I was tired ALL THE TIME! My second was only 4 days and it was the same thing. The third I got slightly nauseated along with feeling very tired so I started taking Meclizine. Low and behold I got my energy back! Well being a paramedic and always pondering medicaIly, I looked it up to see if sleepiness was a symptom of motion sickness and it is actually tied to motion sickness but called Sopite syndrome. Does anyone have any experience with this? I find it so intriguing and I want to learn more. It sounds like there is really no treatment but the Meclizine worked for me.

well a common side effect of motion sickness meds is sleepiness / doziness. And for me a good long sleep usually takes care of the motion sickness. But since the meds don't really affect me, I take them every day on a cruise now.

and the other thing about being on a cruise ... is that it is usually pretty relaxing and the motion of the ship will make you want to sleep. Forever ago when we were sailing in inside rooms ... the total darkness and the motion of the ship ... I could have slept the entire cruise away. So I have thought ... need to take a short cruise on a cheep cruise line and get caught up on my sleep, THEN get off of that ship and get on the Disney ship and have my "real cruise"

I have been on 3 cruises. The first one I couldn't keep my eyes open I was tired ALL THE TIME! My second was only 4 days and it was the same thing. The third I got slightly nauseated along with feeling very tired so I started taking Meclizine. Low and behold I got my energy back! Well being a paramedic and always pondering medicaIly, I looked it up to see if sleepiness was a symptom of motion sickness and it is actually tied to motion sickness but called Sopite syndrome. Does anyone have any experience with this? I find it so intriguing and I want to learn more. It sounds like there is really no treatment but the Meclizine worked for me.
Does this include taking an afternoon cruise nap as a symptom?

well a common side effect of motion sickness meds is sleepiness / doziness. And for me a good long sleep usually takes care of the motion sickness. But since the meds don't really affect me, I take them every day on a cruise now.

and the other thing about being on a cruise ... is that it is usually pretty relaxing and the motion of the ship will make you want to sleep. Forever ago when we were sailing in inside rooms ... the total darkness and the motion of the ship ... I could have slept the entire cruise away. So I have thought ... need to take a short cruise on a cheep cruise line and get caught up on my sleep, THEN get off of that ship and get on the Disney ship and have my "real cruise"
Meclizine is non drowsy but if I take dramamine Im out like a light lol

Taking a medicine that causes drowsiness as a treatment for drowsiness ... sounds like taking Ritalin to slow down hyperactivity. Human physiology is paradoxical at times.

Never heard of Sopite Syndrome before. Undoubtedly, it will get mentioned sometime in my future.

Thanks for the new knowledge.

Taking a medicine that causes drowsiness as a treatment for drowsiness ... sounds like taking Ritalin to slow down hyperactivity. Human physiology is paradoxical at times.

Never heard of Sopite Syndrome before. Undoubtedly, it will get mentioned sometime in my future.

Thanks for the new knowledge.
Meclizine is Non drowsy and I can attest it definitely doesnt make me drowsy which is why I use it over dramamine. it is however an antihistamine which can cause drowsiness but not like benadryl. But your right on that paradoxical thing, not many people realize ritalin is a stimulant and treats hyperactivity. I worked hospice for years and we used ativan in some of our anxious patients and it occasionally caused a paradoxical reaction and caused delerium instead of calming. The body and how they process medications is intriguing. Im not saying I have it but when I read about it, It is spot on. put me in a moving car and Im out like a light. Go read about it. They actually test pilots, astronauts and ship crew for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter