Anyone ever been on a dude ranch vacation?

1GoldenSun

DIS Veteran
We are VERY late in the game in planning our family summer vacation. Unfortunately this is often the case for us but we never learn because so far things have always worked out pretty well and we've never paid the price, haha. But this year with gas prices, flights are crazy expensive. We were thinking about Alaska, but the flights are so high right now, plus I think that would involve a degree of planning that I just don't know if I have time for considering we want to travel at the end of June/ early July, so that is REALLY close. We've just been busy and dates have been up in the air, and...well, here we are about 6 weeks from when I'd like to leave and we have no plans at all.

I was thinking about a dude ranch. There is availability, but wow, those are expensive! I had no idea! I can find relatively inexpensive flights to some areas in Montana, Idaho, etc., but the ranch costs are a little shocking.

Can someone who has visited a dude ranch tell me a little bit about the experience? We can afford it if it's worth it, but I don't want to spend $500 a night per person for a mediocre vacation. Can anyone suggest a specific ranch?

I don't want to end up just going to an all-inclusive in Riviera Maya again, but it's looking more and more likely!

West gate river ranch resort and rodeo. Neighbors have gone with immediate family and then returned with extended family. Loved it! Said lots to do and ate well. I think they used several types of accommodations… some did like a glamping tent, others did … it was like a wagon lol. Sorry no other info but they of course have a website.
Good luck n enjoy wherever u wind up!

My wife and I rode horses during a trip many years ago. I remember being so sore the next day. I was miserable the next day. There is no way I could have ridden a horse the next day or even the day after, after, after.

Make sure you are more used to riding a horse than I or my wife was before the vacation.

My wife and I rode horses during a trip many years ago. I remember being so sore the next day. I was miserable the next day. There is no way I could have ridden a horse the next day or even the day after, after, after.

Make sure you are more used to riding a horse than I or my wife was before the vacation.
Oh gosh I haven't ridden a horse since Girl Scout Camp. Maybe I should rethink this; campfires and marshmallows probably aren't reason enough for a ranch vacation!

West gate river ranch resort and rodeo. Neighbors have gone with immediate family and then returned with extended family. Loved it! Said lots to do and ate well. I think they used several types of accommodations… some did like a glamping tent, others did … it was like a wagon lol. Sorry no other info but they of course have a website.
Good luck n enjoy wherever u wind up!
I googled this and it turns out it's less than 2 hours from where I live! We wouldn't even have to fly, haha.

We went twice in college and loved it. Half day horse riding with other things like going into town. We went to Tucson so not a June destination. My sister and I rode before but my parents hadnt. And we all enjoyed it so much we went back a second year. Meals were family style. We played games at night like Pictionary. The one we went too was pretty low frill and still loved it.

You're price shopping, so this ranch isn't for you...but if someday you want to do it up this is the place. https://www.pawsup.com/
I looked at this one! It was one of the places that gave me sticker shock, haha. The location looks absolutely gorgeous, but I was kind of put off by the photos of the accommodations and dining; it seems more posh than I'd really want on a "ranch" vacation. I'm picturing eating family-style at rough wooden tables or sitting around a campfire eating beans off a blue enamel plate, not fine china and crystal goblets.

This might be a place to keep in mind for someday when the kids are gone, though. For this trip, I don't think we're looking for luxury.

We went twice in college and loved it. Half day horse riding with other things like going into town. We went to Tucson so not a June destination. My sister and I rode before but my parents hadnt. And we all enjoyed it so much we went back a second year. Meals were family style. We played games at night like Pictionary. The one we went too was pretty low frill and still loved it.
Do you remember the name of it? You're probably right that it would be too hot for June/July but it might be something to consider for another time.

A long time ago in middle school as a Girl Scout. We did a weekend during the winter. So cold. Would love to go during the fall

My neighbors have gone to Rocking Horse Ranch a few times with their 3 young boys and really enjoyed it, for what it's worth. She liked the all inclusive aspect about it and that she didn't have to prep or plan much for the vacation (they camp in a 5th wheel very often all summer which can be a lot of work with 3 small kids). I have no personal experience but just know that they seemed to enjoy it.

I looked at this one! It was one of the places that gave me sticker shock, haha. The location looks absolutely gorgeous, but I was kind of put off by the photos of the accommodations and dining; it seems more posh than I'd really want on a "ranch" vacation. I'm picturing eating family-style at rough wooden tables or sitting around a campfire eating beans off a blue enamel plate, not fine china and crystal goblets.

This might be a place to keep in mind for someday when the kids are gone, though. For this trip, I don't think we're looking for luxury.
I have horses and several acres of property. You are more than welcome to come muck stalls for free. 😂

We have been to a few. Tanque Verde in Tucson was the best, they had group rides plus a great campout breakfast thing. Maybe a good question is how long can you sit on a horse.

The closest I've ever done was the The Roosevelt Old West Cookout at Yellowstone National Park. There were options for a horse or wagon ride before the cookout, but it rained the day we were there so they cancelled the horse rides. The wagons had rubber tires, so I guess we didn't get the full old west experience where your fillings might pop out. I think they had a stagecoach with wooden wheels, but that wasn't used that day because of the weather (I guess they might sink on wet dirt).

https://www.yellowstonenationalpark...wild-west-adventures/old-west-dinner-cookout/

stagecoach-2-1024x685.jpg

There were similar things all around the area though - mostly around Jackson Hole. I think they also have dude ranches.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter