Anyone else tried to cancel a cruise & had this happen? UPDATED 5/29

Debbru

DIS Veteran
First a little background...We are booked on the Wish maiden voyage which originally had the "lose your deposit if you cancel". Things changed (date changed, price cut in half, etc.). We had decided to stay with the new cruise date & received a 50% refund.
Last week the new testing rules were emailed & at the end of the email was the statement "Anyone booked on the Dream, Fantasy or Wish from July 9th thru Sept. 30th 2022 may modify or cancel their reservation with no Disney imposed penalties by May 31, 2022". We have decided to cancel the cruise (for many reasons I won't get into).
So I called today, used the #3 trick to get thru with a very short hold & spoke to a CM. She was putting thru the cancellation, then said "I have to put you on hold while I contact Guest Services. But I won't be long".
45 minutes later she came back and told me that she was sending the request to cancel to "The Team" & it would take 14 to 21 days for the refund. She then said that it would still show online until "The Team" processed the cancellation. I reminded her that this HAD to be cancelled before May 31st & she said she would put that note on the form she was filling out.
Has anyone else not been able to actually cancel a cruise while on the phone with DCL or am I just being paranoid LOL!!!

First a little background...We are booked on the Wish maiden voyage which originally had the "lose your deposit if you cancel". Things changed (date changed, price cut in half, etc.). We had decided to stay with the new cruise date & received a 50% refund.
Last week the new testing rules were emailed & at the end of the email was the statement "Anyone booked on the Dream, Fantasy or Wish from July 9th thru Sept. 30th 2022 may modify or cancel their reservation with no Disney imposed penalties by May 31, 2022". We have decided to cancel the cruise (for many reasons I won't get into).
So I called today, used the #3 trick to get thru with a very short hold & spoke to a CM. She was putting thru the cancellation, then said "I have to put you on hold while I contact Guest Services. But I won't be long".
45 minutes later she came back and told me that she was sending the request to cancel to "The Team" & it would take 14 to 21 days for the refund. She then said that it would still show online until "The Team" processed the cancellation. I reminded her that this HAD to be cancelled before May 31st & she said she would put that note on the form she was filling out.
Has anyone else not been able to actually cancel a cruise while on the phone with DCL or am I just being paranoid LOL!!!
lt looks like you cancelled well in time.

Disney taking 10 days (or whatever) to complete the request does not change a thing.

lt looks like you cancelled well in time.

Disney taking 10 days (or whatever) to complete the request does not change a thing.
Hopefully they think the same way, although I have no proof that I even called them today. Unfortunately, I am starting to lose my trust in this company.

Hopefully they think the same way, although I have no proof that I even called them today. Unfortunately, I am starting to lose my trust in this company.
You can follow up with an email outlining the above to get documentation. There is an auto email they send back that shows they received it.

Thank you for your replies. But getting back to the original question - has anyone ever encountered a delayed processing of a cancellation. I've cancelled many cruises in the past and always had it done and confirmed while I was on the phone.

Thank you for your replies. But getting back to the original question - has anyone ever encountered a delayed processing of a cancellation. I've cancelled many cruises in the past and always had it done and confirmed while I was on the phone.
I don't recall... what were the details of the offer for those booked on the original Wish maiden voyage? Is it possible that in addition to accepting the new date and 50% discount, there was an alternative offer and now by cancelling the new date you will automatically be pushed to other option?

The Maiden Voyage has many different rules/restrictions so it’s handled by a different team than literally every other voyage and those reservations have been modified enough the cancellation is probably multi step compared to ordinary bookings so it makes sense it’d be more complex

They can do it immediately as it was just done for me the other day and I had been booked on the 2nd voyage for DVC members. My guess is the person was getting the same back up waiting for a supervisor's approval as the rest of us experience and decided to go about it a different way.

We spoke to DCL last week about a refund. Called at 8am and got through immediately. We stayed on the line with the woman until we received our confirmation email on our phone. It took about 30 minutes. If I were you I’d call back and see what the next agent finds on your account. Ask for them to send you a confirmation email while you wait. Hope this helps.

Some companies tell you that it will take 2 weeks (or more) to process a credit card refund. That's baloney. They can do it immediately. They hold onto your money a little longer so they can continue to keep it in investments and earn more with it. It doesn't seem like much (heck, what's two weeks). But if you multiply that by the millions some huge corporations deal with it adds up to real money. Not saying Disney is doing this but some do.

Some companies tell you that it will take 2 weeks (or more) to process a credit card refund. That's baloney. They can do it immediately. They hold onto your money a little longer so they can continue to keep it in investments and earn more with it. It doesn't seem like much (heck, what's two weeks). But if you multiply that by the millions some huge corporations deal with it adds up to real money. Not saying Disney is doing this but some do.
Not really sure this is the reason. You can check the records of publicly traded companies, not so sure they make millions out of it.

I do more think that the reason is much more on a “marketing” standpoint. If you make it easy for guests to cancel, probably more will.

Somehow I can't help but think that's one of the reason it's still taking ages (most of the times) to be connected to a Disney agent. Many found out pressing “new cruises” you get a cast member in minutes. How could this not be part of the plan?

Just wanted to update...Called DCL last night around 7 pm. Was on hold for about 50 minutes & then got a really helpful CM. Explained the whole situation (need to cancel by 5/31 for full refund, etc.).
He went thru the whole process, read back to me everything he was typing, then said the same thing -- that he would have to submit a form to the Accounting Department & it could take up to 21 days for the refund. I explained that I didn't care how long the refund would take - I just wanted the cancellation done by 5/31 in order to not incur any penalties from DCL.
I asked him why was this different from any other cancellation in the past - always done & confirmed while on the phone. He explained that their computer system would automatically charge the penalty if less than 60 days out from sailing & since the maiden voyage was less than that they have to have it done manually by their accounting department. This made sense - their system is wonky to begin with - how could they possibly change it to reflect this current offer LOL!!! Now I wait & hope this actually goes thru.

Thanks for the update @Debbru! You got lucky you were able to speak to a CM willing to explain the hows and whys.

I'm sure it will get sorted in the end, though it's always a “painful” experience when you need to get something you're entitled to, and somehow Disney's IT doesn't agree.

We canceled our DCL months ago and still waiting for our refund. I talked to them on via phone, email and just keep getting ignored. I waited online for over 2 hours and never did get to talk to anyone. They are not responding to emails. This is the worst service I have ever received from anyone. I am now in the process of contacting the Florida BBB.

We canceled our DCL months ago and still waiting for our refund. I talked to them on via phone, email and just keep getting ignored. I waited online for over 2 hours and never did get to talk to anyone. They are not responding to emails. This is the worst service I have ever received from anyone. I am now in the process of contacting the Florida BBB.
Did you use a TA or book direct with DCL?

OP, did you get this sorted out and your refund Received?

I canceled Three cruises last week. Rebooked them at the OGT rates. Just wondering how long until I get a refund. I use a TA to book and follow up. The last time I canceled it took less than a week to see a refund on my visa and at least 3 weeks to see a refund on MasterCard. I have no idea where the refunds are falling on either card since the placeholders were from before covid. Only deposits on each but still over $1000. All my cruises disappeared from both accounts as soon as canceled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter