Anyone else live with someone on the non-plan plan....two weeks until FP time!

rentayenta

DIS Veteran
The non-plan plan is a reference from the movie *Along Came Poly*....

Our FP day is coming up and I am seriously losing sleep. :blush: I figured it might be time to let DH in on the plan and see what his must-dos are.

I asked him to please get online as its been years since we have been to WDW, look at the rides, and let me know his musts.

Without moving an inch he said: I want to ride Expedition Everest three times.

Me: ok cool, what else?

Him: thats all.

Ok....... :lmao:

I guess I am going to stop stressing. I don't think EE 3x will be a problem with 8-10ish hours at AK.

My DH was basically the same. He did have some must do’s that I got when I pried enough but aside from that handful he was content to let me go nuts planning everything I thought made sense.

My boyfriend is not a planner and I am someone with a Type A personality. My entire career revolves arounds making plans! :laughing: This is not the case with him. He’s very laidback. For our first WDW trip together last summer, I did the research and made all of the plans. I tried to include him but he was just along for the ride. I made all of the ADRs, FP+s, and even picked our flights and hotel all on my own accord. That was his first Disney trip and he honestly had no idea what to expect. Luckily, we are going back this summer and he’s been more involved. He’s voiced where he’d like to eat again (and even one he wants to avoid). He may not be in charge of any plans—that’s still all up to me—but he will weigh-in now when I ask for his opinion. That being said, our FP day is a week away and I’ve had anxiety over it for like a month. I keep saying, “WHAT IF WE DON’T GET (insert all major rides here)?!” And he just kind of looks at me like :confused3

My DH was basically the same. He did have some must do’s that I got when I pried enough but aside from that handful he was content to let me go nuts planning everything I thought made sense.

It is fun to go nuts with some a little input. ;)

I pried tonight and got a little more out of him. It went as follows:

Him: that water ride

Me: what water ride?

Him: ya know the one with the logs...

Me: Splash Mountain?

Him: yeah that one. And the water raft ride.

Me: At Animal Kingdom?

Him: yeah. Everything at Animal Kingdom.

Me: anything else?

Him: Test Track and Rock n Rollercoaster.

I would say tonight is a MAJOR victory! :lmao: Thanks for the idea to push a little harder.

My boyfriend is not a planner and I am someone with a Type A personality. My entire career revolves arounds making plans! :laughing: This is not the case with him. He’s very laidback. For our first WDW trip together last summer, I did the research and made all of the plans. I tried to include him but he was just along for the ride. I made all of the ADRs, FP+s, and even picked our flights and hotel all on my own accord. That was his first Disney trip and he honestly had no idea what to expect. Luckily, we are going back this summer and he’s been more involved. He’s voiced where he’d like to eat again (and even one he wants to avoid). He may not be in charge of any plans—that’s still all up to me—but he will weigh-in now when I ask for his opinion. That being said, our FP day is a week away and I’ve had anxiety over it for like a month. I keep saying, “WHAT IF WE DON’T GET (insert all major rides here)?!” And he just kind of looks at me like :confused3

Baby steps. pixiedust: Glad he gave you dining input! Thats a victory right there. I keep doing the same thing with Flight of Passage and he is just like: don't worry, we'll get on everything we want to. Whats Flight of Passage again? :crazy2: LOL!

Good luck on your FP day; ours is in two weeks. Sending you lots of pixiedust!

My wife and I never plan, other than dining ressies. We let our heart and feet do the planning for us. Our best friends finally went to WDW for the first time two weeks ago (they and we are in our 60's) and they reported they had a terrible time. He is a big-time planner and the heavy planning kept interrupting their fun because they did not plan for crowds or lines. He stayed up for hours every night in their room planning the next day. By the end of the week they were exhausted and told us they will never go back. After some time talking to them I convinced them they just did the parks wrong. At our age, take your time, enjoy your surroundings and just be happy you are there.

Last edited:
My wife and I never plan, other than dining ressies. We let our heart and feet do the planning for us. Our best friends finally went to WDW for the first time two weeks ago (they and we are in our 60's) and they reported they had a terrible time. He is a big-time planner and the heavy planning kept interrupting their fun because they did not plan for crowds or lines. He stayed up for hours every night in their room planning the next day. By the end of the week they were exhausted and told us they will never go back. After some time talking to them I convinved them they just did the parks wrong. At our age, take your time, enjoy your surroundings and just be happy you are there.

This is us as well although we don't plan ADRs either, we just book them day of and have never had any problem finding somewhere to eat. A couple of weeks ago we got California Grill the same night around 3:30 in the afternoon. We don't do character meals or buffets so that helps and we've eaten at BOG for breakfast and lunch and weren't impressed so that isn't a must do for us. We normally book FPs the day of while on the bus or walking to the park if we are staying at an Epcot resort.

“He is a big-time planner and the heavy planning kept interrupting their fun because they did not plan for crowds or lines.“

Well he did not really plan if he did not factor in that there would be crowds and lines. He made a wish list and tried to stick to it! :) I can totally see how a “see where the wind takes us” approach works well for those that go often and have been a bunch already. For first time or potentially one and done visitors though a real plan that factors in likely crowd levels and wait times I think is super helpful in budgeting your time well.

My husband literally packs HIS bag, and just shows up lol!

:lmao:

My wife and I never plan, other than dining ressies. We let our heart and feet do the planning for us. Our best friends finally went to WDW for the first time two weeks ago (they and we are in our 60's) and they reported they had a terrible time. He is a big-time planner and the heavy planning kept interrupting their fun because they did not plan for crowds or lines. He stayed up for hours every night in their room planning the next day. By the end of the week they were exhausted and told us they will never go back. After some time talking to them I convinved them they just did the parks wrong. At our age, take your time, enjoy your surroundings and just be happy you are there.

Oh my hell, that sounds totally unenjoyable for your friends.

We don't plan gong to Disneyland, as we go weekly and are going tonight, but we haven't been to WDW in 6 year. I am hoping for a healthy balance of planning and relaxing.

Sometimes my husband doesn't even do that much. :headache: I enjoy planning the vacation though.

I enjoy it too. Day by day I am getting a little more info from him. pixiedust:

“He is a big-time planner and the heavy planning kept interrupting their fun because they did not plan for crowds or lines.“

Well he did not really plan if he did not factor in that there would be crowds and lines. He made a wish list and tried to stick to it! :) I can totally see how a “see where the wind takes us” approach works well for those that go often and have been a bunch already. For first time or potentially one and done visitors though a real plan that factors in likely crowd levels and wait times I think is super helpful in budgeting your time well.

I agree with this totally. The amount of planning may coincide with frequency of visits.

I'm an obsessive over-planner, and it drives my wife nuts when we're on vacation, so I try hard to temper my instincts unless it's really important. We're planning a December trip for us and our 4-year-old, and I told her that I promise not to over-plan, but there are certain things that we have to plan or we will be miserable (FEA, princess meets, 7DMT, etc.).

It's going to kill me to wander around the park knowing there are things with short lines that we're skipping because our daughter walked past Mad Tea Party and wanted to ride it four times in a row.

I'm an obsessive over-planner, and it drives my wife nuts when we're on vacation, so I try hard to temper my instincts unless it's really important. We're planning a December trip for us and our 4-year-old, and I told her that I promise not to over-plan, but there are certain things that we have to plan or we will be miserable (FEA, princess meets, 7DMT, etc.).

It's going to kill me to wander around the park knowing there are things with short lines that we're skipping because our daughter walked past Mad Tea Party and wanted to ride it four times in a row.

But isn't that the reason for being there, to make your daughter happy. If going on the same ride, over and over again makes her happy, that should in turn also make you happy. You said without the intense planning you would all be miserable. Think about that, who is going to be miserable. Slow down and enjoy these moments. It won't be long and your daughter will be grown and believe me, it is going to happen faster than you think.

But isn't that the reason for being there, to make your daughter happy. If going on the same ride, over and over again makes her happy, that should in turn also make you happy. You said without the intense planning you would all be miserable. Think about that, who is going to be miserable. Slow down and enjoy these moments. It won't be long and your daughter will be grown and believe me, it is going to happen faster than you think.

Oh, I agree 100%! I guess my tone was a little over-dramatic. I'm really not going to plan anything except the very few must-dos. If we ride Mad Tea Party four times in a row and don't make it on Pirates? Totally fine! It'll "kill me" but, realistically, I'll be super-happy that she's doing the things she wants to do (even if it means we do every Dumbo-style spinner at least twice!).

Sometimes my husband doesn't even do that much. :headache: I enjoy planning the vacation though.
Trust me he barely packs his bag, I get some of that done for him too! I also enjoy planning the vacation, my family loves to poke fun that I get into my Disney obsession...stalking until I get all the ADRs and FPs! Oddly enough, tonight we were watching America’s Funniest Home Videos, and a woman charged and hugged Donald Duck at DW so excitedly, that she sent him flying!! My mom joked that that was me! They can poke all the fun they want, lol but they know how much work goes into it, and they always thank me bunches for it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!