Anyone done Richmond/Storybrooke while in Vancouver area for AK cruise?

Ravenne

Queen is never late everyone else is simply early
If you've been to Storybrooke (Steveston, Richmond), how did you get there from Vancouver? I'm using Canada's Trans Link website to plan a trip there from Vancouver (Canada Place area to be specific) and it seems very doable. I don't plan on renting a car while I'm there, so either taxi or public transportation will have to be the way to go. It looks to be about 40 minutes by car, so any idea how much that'll run via taxi? I can price out an Uber, but they tend to be pricier.

Train is the most affordable but takes longer...about an hour, with a transfer from train to bus in Richmond Brighouse station. It's right outside of what seems to be a nice mall. How safe is that area? Safe with little kids in tow? Is the bus ride from Brighouse station to the Steveston wharf pretty safe as well? Anything else I should be aware of in making the trip from Canada Place to Steveston wharf via public transportation?

Why *not* rent a car?

I assume you're doing a Once Upon a Time thing? If so, I would want my OWN wheels to roam around town in.

Why *not* rent a car?

I assume you're doing a Once Upon a Time thing? If so, I would want my OWN wheels to roam around town in.

We're only there for 1 day and don't want to deal with car rental costs and parking fees.

I live in Vancouver and my 11km taxi ride to the airport costs between $26 - $28. It is 22km from Canada Place to Steveston Village. I would guess minimum $60 each way for taxi. It would probably be cheaper to rent a car for the day. Vancouver does not have Uber, although there are talks to bring it in by the end of the year. I'm not holding my breath on that happening.

The Canada Line from downtown to Richmond is very safe, the Brighouse station is in a busy shopping area and the busses into Steveston go through very residential areas. I wouldn't be concerned at all traveling with children. By taking the Canada line you will bypass all the downtown and Vancouver trafffic, so timing wise it may be very similar to driving.

I live in Vancouver and my 11km taxi ride to the airport costs between $26 - $28. It is 22km from Canada Place to Steveston Village. I would guess minimum $60 each way for taxi. It would probably be cheaper to rent a car for the day. Vancouver does not have Uber, although there are talks to bring it in by the end of the year. I'm not holding my breath on that happening.

The Canada Line from downtown to Richmond is very safe, the Brighouse station is in a busy shopping area and the busses into Steveston go through very residential areas. I wouldn't be concerned at all traveling with children. By taking the Canada line you will bypass all the downtown and Vancouver trafffic, so timing wise it may be very similar to driving.

Perfect! Thank you! Judging by the map, Steveston, or at least the Storybrooke and wharf area doesn't look to be very big, and it seems very walkable. Steveston itself looks to be pretty safe to walk around as well, is it? Thinking about walking around the wharf, to the Interurban Tram and around.

We visited Stevenson in summer 2015 and traveled by the train and buses. The ride was safe and inexpensive. We first went to the city hall/ visitor center ( across from thr storeybrooke bakery) and got a map. There was also merchandise sold here. We then walked around town, visited the all the businesses including the cannery. We ate a great lunch at" grannies". We then picked up the bus and returned to downtown...we loved it and highly recommend using public transportation.

We visited Stevenson in summer 2015 and traveled by the train and buses. The ride was safe and inexpensive. We first went to the city hall/ visitor center ( across from thr storeybrooke bakery) and got a map. There was also merchandise sold here. We then walked around town, visited the all the businesses including the cannery. We ate a great lunch at" grannies". We then picked up the bus and returned to downtown...we loved it and highly recommend using public transportation.
We did the exact same thing in 2016. It was awesome. We didn't have lunch at "grannies", we had lunch at a restaurant on the wharf and it was great. Scenic views, go for it

We took a whale watching tour that left from there, so transport was covered from Canada Place through that. We had time pre or post to walk around the little town. They were not filming when we went, but it was still pretty quaint.

As others have said the train and bus are quite easy and safe. Really easy to walk around Steveston. And now I want fish and chips from Dave's!

I live in Richmond! Steveston is a great area, definitely walkable (you can also rent bikes from Village Bikes if you'd like) There's a big playground / splash pad area at No. 1 Rd and Moncton. Tons of great places to eat, check out the fish market on the pier, get fish & chips (I like Pajos better than Daves), get ice cream at Timothy's, etc. I haven't bussed in Richmond much but I think it's just one bus and the Canada Line which as everyone has said is very safe. Adult day passes are $9.75 and kids under 5 are free.

I live in Richmond! Steveston is a great area, definitely walkable (you can also rent bikes from Village Bikes if you'd like) There's a big playground / splash pad area at No. 1 Rd and Moncton. Tons of great places to eat, check out the fish market on the pier, get fish & chips (I like Pajos better than Daves), get ice cream at Timothy's, etc. I haven't bussed in Richmond much but I think it's just one bus and the Canada Line which as everyone has said is very safe. Adult day passes are $9.75 and kids under 5 are free.

Thank you so much for the recommendations!

Perfect! Thank you! Judging by the map, Steveston, or at least the Storybrooke and wharf area doesn't look to be very big, and it seems very walkable. Steveston itself looks to be pretty safe to walk around as well, is it? Thinking about walking around the wharf, to the Interurban Tram and around.

As others have said, Steveston is safe and very walkable. We often go there on weekends for lunch and a walk along the river. The park by the interurban has a great play area and splash park. If it is a hot day you may want to bring swimsuits for the kids so they can run through the water.

The only safety concern I have is with kids on the docks. Recently a young girl was feeding a sea lion from the dock - something you are NEVER supposed to do - and the sea lion got upset when she stopped and grabbed her dress and pulled her in the river. Her grandfather immediately jumped in and pulled her out. She wasn't harmed, but it could have been much worse. It was all caught on video - search "sea lion drags girl into Steveston water" on YouTube.

Pajo's is good for fish and chips. We usually end up eating at Sockeye City or Blue Canoe - both are on the waterfront. DH likes Dave's for fish and chips, but it doesn't have a view.

Have a great trip!

The only safety concern I have is with kids on the docks. Recently a young girl was feeding a sea lion from the dock - something you are NEVER supposed to do - and the sea lion got upset when she stopped and grabbed her dress and pulled her in the river. Her grandfather immediately jumped in and pulled her out. She wasn't harmed, but it could have been much worse. It was all caught on video - search "sea lion drags girl into Steveston water" on YouTube.

OH, is THAT where that happened?

Thank you for all of your tips, recommendations, and advice. I really appreciate it!

Pretty simple to avoid that - follow the rules and don't feed the sea lions. Right? :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts