Anyone done a Cracker Barrel overnight South of the Florida Border on I-75?

Teamubr

From somewhere outside StL
I'm trying to decide on a place to stop for 8-10 hours on the way down in January. I will probably be leaving early Saturday morning and driving most of the way to the Fort before stopping. Check in is Sunday and I'd like to get to the Fort by mid-morning to see what is available. I normally leave Friday night after work and stop in Tennessee before driving down closer to WDW the day before arrival, but Tennessee in January is still pretty cold.

Now that I have the coach and feel more comfortable just stopping somewhere and sleeping, I'm good with doing a Cracker Barrell or someplace free for the short stop. Normally I would book a cheap night at Lake Louisa, but I wouldn't be getting that close until pretty late. Stopping around Gainesville or Ocala makes more sense. I did check out some campgrounds around there and they were $50-75. Pretty pricey for 8-10 hours.

I don't like using truck stops (although I have before). I have too many friends that are OTR truck drivers and they deserve those spots. I also doubt there would be a spot at 10PM.

I'm considering Boondockers Welcome or Harvest Home, but they are $50/$100 to join and I don't know if there is any place close to I-75 in north central Florida.

j

Ocala sun is great. Not sure the price but level grassy pull throughs. Then 1.5 hours to the fort. Plus a good pilot at exit 341 before you get back on the highway.

Thanks Kris.

I just checked it out. $50/night. Not as bad as a few others I looked at. That is right about where I would want to stop AND it is at the Don Garlits Museum exit. I used to go up there when we stayed at my parents condos in St Pete.

j

Thanks Kris.

I just checked it out. $50/night. Not as bad as a few others I looked at. That is right about where I would want to stop AND it is at the Don Garlits Museum exit. I used to go up there when we stayed at my parents condos in St Pete.
j

So sorry to complain, but
It's a death trap, we stayed there once, raining, they close at 4pm, you're on your own, our site's electric pedestal was in the middle of a 20 -30' diameter "pond", nope, not wading out there for 50 amp, no one there to help, had to move on, sucked, long day

Now that you are self contained you have options, I am guessing you'll be heading down I75? I am subscribed to RV Trip Wizard and found a few places along I75 with good and recent reviews. Futters 4 Oaks has decent reviews and 30 bucks a night just north of Gainesville. Seems lots of options rolling down there. I mean if its just for sleeping I just want clean level sites, good power, decent water pressure. I can even skip having a sewer hookup and dump on the way out or once I get to disney.

We stopped once at the CB in Ocala, that was a while ago and it was crowded even then. With the growth in the area I imagine its only gotten more crowded.

So sorry to complain, but
It's a death trap, we stayed there once, raining, they close at 4pm, you're on your own, our site's electric pedestal was in the middle of a 20 -30' diameter "pond", nope, not wading out there for 50 amp, no one there to help, had to move on, sucked, long day
That is really odd. Now they did have a change of ownership but yes they close early i thought 5. But you have to call a number and they let you in and they have always directed us to our spot. I can't speak to the water, while we have been there when it was wet it was not something crazy. Since it is grass though i could see it flooding with some horrible rain. Sorry your experience sucked. I find it easy in and out and great for overnight to Dinsey. Short drive the following morning. Do you have another place close you stay at? Just curious and always looking for other options.

So sorry to complain, but our site's electric pedestal was in the middle of a 20 -30' diameter "pond", nope, not wading out there for 50 amp, no one there to help, had to move on, sucked, long day
Futters 4 Oaks has decent reviews and 30 bucks a night just north of Gainesville. Seems lots of options rolling down there. I mean if its just for sleeping I just want clean level sites, good power, decent water pressure.
Thanks Team B and James, I'll check out Futters. Good news is I only ever plug into electric on these over nights and that is if I need the A/C. I probably won't need it in January. I was planning on just parking, set the generator to auto start if the batteries ran too low keeping the frige cold and head to bed. I always travel with a little water in the fresh tank, although this trip I'll be leaving with pink stuff in the lines.
We stopped once at the CB in Ocala, that was a while ago and it was crowded even then. With the growth in the area I imagine its only gotten more crowded.
When you say "crowded", do you mean the area in general or the Cracker Barrel parking lot? My concern with Cracker Barrel is the lot being full of like minded RVs at 10pm and no room for me.

I'll probably end up booking something at a campground. I like the security of knowing I definitely have a place after driving 13 or 14 hours. Ocala Sun is in the right place, distance wise, but I'll check out Futters too.

j

@Teamubr Right. being self contained you could do that. When I had my bus I would usually put about 1/3rd tank of fresh into the system and even fill the water heater. Since I would run the heat overnight and dash heat during the day, I really never needed to worry about freezing up (I would run the water heater if it was going to be well under 30 and it would hold warmth even till I stopped that evening.) That is a luxury of being self contained and not needing power like the 5th wheel does, maybe next one will be a toy hauler so I can bring a golf cart and run a genset.

Last edited:
Thanks Team B and James, I'll check out Futters. Good news is I only ever plug into electric on these over nights and that is if I need the A/C. I probably won't need it in January. I was planning on just parking, set the generator to auto start if the batteries ran too low keeping the frige cold and head to bed. I always travel with a little water in the fresh tank, although this trip I'll be leaving with pink stuff in the lines.

When you say "crowded", do you mean the area in general or the Cracker Barrel parking lot? My concern with Cracker Barrel is the lot being full of like minded RVs at 10pm and no room for me.

I'll probably end up booking something at a campground. I like the security of knowing I definitely have a place after driving 13 or 14 hours. Ocala Sun is in the right place, distance wise, but I'll check out Futters too.

j
The area in general is very busy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter