Anyone deathly afraid of heights done parasailing?

Disney1fan2002

<font color=red>Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to
We have parasailing booked on CC next week, problem is, my friend is deathly afraid of heights. We have til Friday to cancel without being charged. She originally said to book it and she'd think about it. I myself am afraid of heights, but I did the parasailing in 2011, and it was amazing. I keep trying to tell her it is different than being on top of a building or the edge of a cliff. It is so serene up there. I am braver than she is. I'm afraid she will back out, never getting that experience.
Have you overcome your fear only to find out how awesome it was? Please give me some stories I can share with her.

Thanks

I don't like heights and I enjoyed the parasailing at CC. They do let people go tandem, if total weight is less than the maximum allowed.

Well, I have to say that I'm afraid of heights (although I wouldn't describe it as deathly) and convinced myself to parasail thinking it wouldn't be that bad. I was terrified the whole time and hated the experience. So, mostly I'd say it's probably hard to predict how someone will react. I'd feel bad to overly encourage someone though and then they end up miserable. I hope whatever decision that she makes she can feel like it was the right one and that if she does it she enjoys it.

I'm a little bit afraid of heights and can't imagine parasailing. Doesn't seem like it would be fun for your friend, especially as she isn't as adventurous as you. I don't recommend pressuring her into it.

Don't misunderstand, I have no intentions of pressuring her. If she wants to cancel, I will fully understand. I would hate for her to pay for it and absolutely hate it because of her fears. I just don't want her to miss this opportunity if there is a chance she can brave her fear and try it once.

Well, I have to say that I'm afraid of heights (although I wouldn't describe it as deathly) and convinced myself to parasail thinking it wouldn't be that bad. I was terrified the whole time and hated the experience. So, mostly I'd say it's probably hard to predict how someone will react. I'd feel bad to overly encourage someone though and then they end up miserable. I hope whatever decision that she makes she can feel like it was the right one and that if she does it she enjoys it.
Same for me. I was literally sobbing up in the sky when my husband persuaded me to do it. This summer he is going on an Alaska helicopter tour and I am keeping my two feet on planet earth. Live and learn.

Same for me. I was literally sobbing up in the sky when my husband persuaded me to do it. This summer he is going on an Alaska helicopter tour and I am keeping my two feet on planet earth. Live and learn.
I'm with you. We are doing our second Alaska cruise in 2023. I know helicopter tours are suppose to be wonderful, but there's no way I'm getting in one. Airplanes don't bother me, but a helicopter-- no way!!!

If you’re visiting the parks, you can try out the skyliner. It will give you a feel of parasailing, at least the height part. You can take it from HS to CBR and if it’s too much for your friend, you can hop on a bus to another park. If it doesn’t bother your friend, you can take a gondola to Pop Century, which adds the element of going over water. If she’s good with that them maybe you can consider parasailing on your next cruise.

My beloved does not like heights…and she really enjoyed the parasailing on Castaway Cay. The beautiful view kept her occupied and she ignored the height.

No, no, no-very afraid of heights. Nope. Not for me. I would rather snorkel or do something land based. Your time on CC is too wonderful to be stressing about heights

Wise choice to cancel and find something fun to do on CC. I do not like heights when it comes to buildings with verandahs (oh look at the view of the city) and hate climbing ladders (which I have to do often as an engineer, white knuckles and all). Funny thing is, I was a helicopter pilot in the Army for 22 years. Absolutely no correlation between the two. Oh, and I really liked SOARIN' in EPCOT. Go figure.

I hate heights and I loved parasailing! I’ve come to realize for me it’s not actually about the height, it’s more that I hate looking over a ledge or having the feeling I could fall. If I’m secure, being up high doesn’t bother me. So I can do things like ziplining, ropes courses, and parasailing no problem because I know I’m strapped in and can’t fall. Put me on a higher balcony and I absolutely hate it!

Ok, I'm afraid of heights. I went parasailing on my honeymoon in Hawaii. Partly because a much older family member had just come back from their honeymoon and showed us pictures of them parasailing and how much they loved it .. so my pride had a little bit to do with the decision. I was a bit uncomfortable just prior to going up and then was absolutely terrified for the first 5 minutes I was up there. Watching the knot in the rope and feeling my heart jump every time the rope did. The second five minutes of the experience I did enjoy the feel of it and then the last 5 minutes I was actually kind of bored LOL
Was I glad that I did it, yes, would I do it again, no way. One and done for me.
I will never go sky diving or high zip lines (I've done low ones on an obstacle course). I have been able to tolerate the suspension bridge in Vancouver and the Carrick-r Rede bridge in Northern Ireland.

No idea if your friend will be able to enjoy parasailing, but if she is ok with missing the experience then I would say safer to skip it.

My Mom is terrified on the water and because of that we will never be able to cruise together. That bothers me because I would love to share that with her, but sometimes you have to settle for what you have.

I hate heights and I loved parasailing! I’ve come to realize for me it’s not actually about the height, it’s more that I hate looking over a ledge or having the feeling I could fall. If I’m secure, being up high doesn’t bother me. So I can do things like ziplining, ropes courses, and parasailing no problem because I know I’m strapped in and can’t fall. Put me on a higher balcony and I absolutely hate it!
Exactly, that is me. The whole feeling of going over the railing on a balcony (verandah) or the ladder losing frictional force and sliding (oh, oh, too much dynamics).

I’ve come to realize for me it’s not actually about the height, it’s more that I hate looking over a ledge or having the feeling I could fall. If I’m secure, being up high doesn’t bother me. So I can do things like ziplining, ropes courses
Same here. I love ziplining and ropes. I also love Roller coasters...but stick me on a ledge and no way. When we were on the Dream in January, I had to slowly accustom myself to being on the balcony (Deck 10). First day or so, I sat all the way back as close as I could to the door...and by the last day, I was okay to sit wherever. Still didn't let my son go out much! (Fortunately, he wasn't too interested).

I would try to para-sail but I would not skydive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter