Anyone dealt with hip bursitis?

Jenn310

Mouseketeer
I have been dealing with hip bursitis for a few months now,ran through Princess with it on one side(thought it was just IT band issue),and now have it in both hips. Sleeping is horrible,been to a few PT sessions,but I seem to leave there in more pain than I came in with.

Anyone have any advice? I miss running so bad! I feel like an old lady even though I'm only 29!

I've had it for about ten years. I know what you man about feeling like an old woman. All I can recommend is Lots of stretching, but never with cold muscles. Topical anti-inflammatory ointments are helpful too. Keep with the therapy and don't let them push you too hard, too fast. When your hip inflames, it will.slow down any progress you make so much. As far as sleeping, sleep on your back with ice on your hips when you lay down. If your bed isn't soft enough, look into a gel or memory foam topper. That helped me a lot more than I expected. Good luck!

I've had it for about ten years. I know what you man about feeling like an old woman. All I can recommend is Lots of stretching, but never with cold muscles. Topical anti-inflammatory ointments are helpful too. Keep with the therapy and don't let them push you too hard, too fast. When your hip inflames, it will.slow down any progress you make so much. As far as sleeping, sleep on your back with ice on your hips when you lay down. If your bed isn't soft enough, look into a gel or memory foam topper. That helped me a lot more than I expected. Good luck!

Thank you for the advice! I'm sorry you've been dealing with this so long! I think I need a different physical therapist for sure that's willing to scale stuff back and work with me. I could tell my hip was very inflamed leaving my last appt it was burning bad and I told her, and she just shrugged it off.

i had a flare-up of it a few years ago, i'm pretty sure i went on celebrex to help it. i remember cortizone shots being an option..but mine thankfully began healing and so i didn't have to get a shot. but i wouldn't have been above it..sometimes i think a good mega dose of anti-inflammatory gets it under control to then be able to heal

Also, see if you can switch to a sports therapist instead of a physical therapist. They deal with athletes and can probably help you better. That was the one I had that actually made a difference.I tried the steroid shots but they never worked for me. I do know several people they helped though, so that's definitely an individual thing.

Thanks everyone,appreciate the advice! My doctor didn't give me the shot option,he said it wasn't bad enough,I asked him about an anti-inflammatory,but he wouldn't give me anything for that either.
I will definitely see if I can switch to a sports therapist.

Thanks everyone,appreciate the advice! My doctor didn't give me the shot option,he said it wasn't bad enough,I asked him about an anti-inflammatory,but he wouldn't give me anything for that either.
I will definitely see if I can switch to a sports therapist.

:scared1:

Oh, I would have to change doctors. I get the shots and take oral steroids both when my bursitis flares up (which it does with alarming regularity). It's chronic in the women in my family and is due to the shape of our hips - we have some sort of genetic mutation or other.

I also ice my hips and knees after each and every run I take - that seems to help - and I take some NSAIDs the moment I feel the least little twinge in a hip and then ice it down (even at work).

And now I just have to ask. . .what does PT do for bursitis? Bursitis is an inflammation of the bursa sack in the joints. . .so I'm just not making the connection. I'm sure it's there, I just don't see it.

:scared1:

Oh, I would have to change doctors. I get the shots and take oral steroids both when my bursitis flares up (which it does with alarming regularity). It's chronic in the women in my family and is due to the shape of our hips - we have some sort of genetic mutation or other.

I also ice my hips and knees after each and every run I take - that seems to help - and I take some NSAIDs the moment I feel the least little twinge in a hip and then ice it down (even at work).

And now I just have to ask. . .what does PT do for bursitis? Bursitis is an inflammation of the bursa sack in the joints. . .so I'm just not making the connection. I'm sure it's there, I just don't see it.

I am seeing a new doctor this Friday,actually.
I was initially told that PT was going to do ultrasound,and work on strengthening my hip muscles and work on my it band. When I went to PT,she really didn't want to do ultrasound,ended up hooking me up to some machine,but only on one side. We spent almost an hour doing stretches and of course I left in tons of pain,because all that did was inflame the area. I couldn't believe she didn't offer me ice or anything.
In doing tons of research online,I swear I've read every possible site lol PT can help after your inflammation is down,and help preventing it,but like you said it won't get rid of the bursitis.

I am seeing a new doctor this Friday,actually.
I was initially told that PT was going to do ultrasound,and work on strengthening my hip muscles and work on my it band. When I went to PT,she really didn't want to do ultrasound,ended up hooking me up to some machine,but only on one side. We spent almost an hour doing stretches and of course I left in tons of pain,because all that did was inflame the area. I couldn't believe she didn't offer me ice or anything.
In doing tons of research online,I swear I've read every possible site lol PT can help after your inflammation is down,and help preventing it,but like you said it won't get rid of the bursitis.

Oh wow.

Yeah, hopefully a new doctor will be able to help you. Your current regime, not so much, I would think.

My bursitis occurs because my hip socket isn't at the best angle to my legs, so anything jarring can cause the inflammation (like running), because the top of my femur is rubbing against its padding, the bursa.

I know losing weight will help, not overusing helps, and ice ice baby! NSAIDs help if I can catch it early enough.

If I could ever get down to a 23 or 24 BMI and STAY there, I would jump for joy. Alas, I am the granddaughter of 4 dust bowl survivors and before that my ancestors were starved and driven out of 2.5 continents, so I really do think I am preset to survive famine and starvation and not to run. :sad1: Unlike DH, who is long and lanky and can strap on a pair of running shoes and come in in the middle of the pack in a 5K without having run once in years. Yeah. Life just isn't fair.

Oh wow.

Yeah, hopefully a new doctor will be able to help you. Your current regime, not so much, I would think.

My bursitis occurs because my hip socket isn't at the best angle to my legs, so anything jarring can cause the inflammation (like running), because the top of my femur is rubbing against its padding, the bursa.

I know losing weight will help, not overusing helps, and ice ice baby! NSAIDs help if I can catch it early enough.

If I could ever get down to a 23 or 24 BMI and STAY there, I would jump for joy. Alas, I am the granddaughter of 4 dust bowl survivors and before that my ancestors were starved and driven out of 2.5 continents, so I really do think I am preset to survive famine and starvation and not to run. :sad1: Unlike DH, who is long and lanky and can strap on a pair of running shoes and come in in the middle of the pack in a 5K without having run once in years. Yeah. Life just isn't fair.

Went to new doctor this morning and seemed to be on the same page. Had the choice between the shot or try a 6 day pill pack,I chose the pills,since I'm a wuss. Once inflammation is down he wants me to do some PT,which I'm fine with. Now,I'm saying a prayer for some relief this month!

So sorry to hear how much you have to put up with this! :( It stinks having an issue with only temporary relief!
I believe mine is just due to it band not stretching enough issues...I ran all the time before and never had an issue. Only difference being when I was training this time I ran on a track. I'm only 110 pounds,so I know weight isn't playing a role in mine.

I have had issues with hip burstitis in the past - I am much older than you are (52), but like you my weight is not an issue at 120 lbs. My primary physican is a sports doc who is also a distance runner. He sent me to a sports PT who is also a runner (and an awesome one at that!)

My problems stemmed from imbalance - after we got the inflammation down with some NASIDs and icing, I had PT sessions where I learned a number of stretches for my hips and exercises to strengthen my core. I also learned to shorten my stride, increase my turnover and run on what my sister and I call "Pochontas" feet - I now land lightly instead of slamming my feet down with every step - think Pochontas running the forest and you can't hear her coming :)

It is amazing how much this has helped. I went from having hip pain in 5ks to being able to do the Disney Full in Jan painfree! A very happy side effect was I got faster - like dropping 25 min from my half PR faster! I never realized how much the fear of the pain starting and then trying to run through the pain was slowing me down.

If you need some additional info on the exercises and stretches, I'd be happy to share. Just send me a PM.

Hope you feel better soon! :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter