Anyone cut their own dh and ds hair? Need advice!

I've been cutting dh's hair for the past several years. We've had the same clippers for about 7 years and after reading through this thread, maybe its time to get a new pair. I cut his sides to 3/4" with the guide on the clippers and then cut the top with sissors to the length of my three fingers. It is easy, but I will never live down the time I started on the back of his head with the clippers but forgot to put the 3/4" guide on! All I said was oops! and he took off to find a mirror. :laughing:

You really don't need clippers unless you want a buzz type cut. For the faint of heart, just have your DH just get a good haircut and watch it being done. The best kind will be done with barber scissors available at beauty supply stores. Layering is very easy with scissors and you get a more professional cut.
When you start with the style he likes, all you have to do is trim it exactly the same length everyway, including the layers. I've had to adjust things a bit as my husband's hair has disappeared somewhat on top :rotfl: but he refuses to let anyone else cut it for him.
I finish the hair cut off by using his beard trimmer to clean up the hair on his neck. I do his beard and mustache shaping at the same time. Scissors first, then clean up with the beard trimmer at the edges. HTH

My husband does his own hair cuts with the Flowbee. He bought his first one 25 years ago and hasn't had or paid for a professional hair cut since then. Five years ago he had to replace the first one. It was pretty worn out. Over the years he has also occasionally given haircuts to our kids and some friends.

The Flowbee used to be an as seen on tv product, but not anymore. He bought the first one at Costco and I found the second one on-line at the company website www.flowbee.com.

The Flowbee is used with a canister vacumn, so there isn't any mess to clean up. DH uses his shop vac and does the hair cut in the garage. I go in afterwards sometimes and trim the back up for him with a trimmer. DH likes his hair pretty short and has lot's of cowlicks, so it doesn't really matter who or what cuts his hair :lmao:

I cut my 3 boys hair. We have a set of Wahl clippers. I figure I have saved HUNDREDS of dollars in the last 3-4 years!

I have them stand in the shower in their undies- sometimes I put a little stool in their for them to sit on.

To cut, first I go over the top with a #3-#5 blade- depending on how long I want the top. Then I "even up" the sides to blend it- I take a straight comb and kind of angle it the way I want the blending- then run the clippers along the comb. This is the most important part- if the move, it will take a chunk out and look really patchy. When they were little I would have them rest their head on my stomach to keep it still while I cut the other side. Now even my 4 year old will hold still! After it is "blended", I use a 1 or sometimes take the blade off and use the clippers extended out to cut the rest and do around the ears/neck.

It took me awhile to figure out the technique- I'm sure there are you-tube videos you could watch! I watched the barber do it a couple times before I attempted myself! Now when I do take them to the barber- they come home with little pieces of hair that the barber missed. Drives me crazy! I think I can do a better job than the barber!

We have a Conair clipper set, but the next one I buy will be Wahls. The are the best IMO. The ones linked earlier in the post look really nice, I may check on those when I go to Wally's later today.

DW has been cutting DS's hair for about 2 years, and she does a great job. Myself, I just put a #6 adapter on it and run it all over the head. I have some small clippers I use for around the ears, etc. And DW will help shave the back of the neck as well. Saves us a ton of money.

She was apprehensive at first about doing it, but I told her is she kept me and DS in line at home, she and DD could get their hair done whenever they wanted, since the budget would be bigger. Since then, no problemo!

I have been doing my dh's hair since 2003. I am surprised he has let me continue after a few hair cuts!

Seriously it is easy. We are on our second set or clippers/buzzer thingy. They both came from either Target or Walmart. So far they work but I will have to check out the Wahl since I have many more hair cuts in my future.

I also do my 6 yo's hair & have been doing his since his first hair cut.

I use different sizes on both for the top & sides. My dh will take his razor & shave around my sons neck which he loves.

When DH and I first decided to save money by me cutting his hair, I went to Sally's Beauty Supply to ask about clippers. It just happened that the model of Wahl's clipper that a local beauty school's students used was on sale and the salesperson highly recommended it. She also recommended using 'Kool Lube', it's a lubricant cleaner that you spray on the blades before each use; really helps the blades last longer.

I've had mine over 7 years and never had to change the blades. We've saved ton's of money by doing this!

You guys are making me nostalgic for when my boys would let me cut thier hair. They're tweens now and won't let me near it. :(

Yup. I used to cut my kids' hair. All three of them, but I won't torture them like that now that they're older. I just take them to supercuts.

OP, you can do it. I always used to scissor cut my boys' hair because it is really soft and fine. I would just use the clilppers for the edges and sideburns.

I used to just watch the hair dresser and ask questions. I got many great tips that way. Use your fingers as you hold the hair to determine the length you want to cut--one, two or three fingers length--and always cut parallel to head.

The first thing I always did was to cut around the ears and back of the neck first.

Also, you can google "how to cut boys hair" and find great tips. If you mess up, they are young and don't know the difference and it'll always grow back. :)

Oh, and my final awesome tip is to blow them off with the leaf blower outside. They LOVED that! :)

Ang

I have just started cutting my kids hair at home this year. I used to take them to CoolCuts for Kids at $35 for the both of them and got tired of the wrestling match with my youngest. He is special needs and HATED getting his hair cut.
I bought the clippers on Amazon for $30 after waiting 3 long months in dread of taking DS4 to the haircutters. I did it myself with an okay job. And the best part is DS4 just sat there and let me work! It took me 5 minutes to do his hair with no screaming! Best money spent.

I use the 1/2" guide for the lower third of their head (ears down), blend it with the 1" guide for the middle third and then sissor cut bangs and top of the head. I touch up the sideburns and back with no attachment. It's easier than I thought though I haven't gotten good enough for it to not look like a home job yet (straight bangs are hard!), but now we can wait only weeks instead of months for haircuts.
I am not brave enough to do DH hair so he still goes to the barber for his cuts.

I cut my whole family, but I am a lisenced cosmetolgist too. LOL
I have to say that bedning the scissor cut area and the clipper area, especially if using a 1 is the hardest part. I use a clipper and comb for it, but to get it just right you have to be moving the comg as you clipper. It might not matter to you, but for me, when I see a line I get irritated.
Using scissors never cut past the 1st knuckle.

my guys like their hair longer, so I use the clippers with the longest attachment in the back/sides for dh,then scissor the tops to match,and the same for the kids- you can sort of learn to scissor the parts that you don't want buzzed and it is usually fine my you can buy all attachment sizes for the clippers at Sallys beauty supply

My brothers was graduating high school before they went to barber the 1st time dad always cut their hair an was working a lot at the time an mom took them to baber shop. Mom always trimmed my hair or as I got older I did it myself never had anyone but mom or I touched my hair till I was married an had a baby.

Daddy always said anybody could cut hair as long as hair lasted!

My DD uses the clippers on her own hair I think the shortest setting it will go she's been doing her own hair for at least 10 yrs now.

OHHHHHHHHHH about the mess daddy always put an old sheet on floor then wrapped another old sheet around my brothers both sheets was carefully folded containin all the hair an taken outside an shook out no mess left in house.....daddy even cut hair in the kitchen.

Daddy an his brothers cut each others hair as well......I remember many Sunday afternoons spent cuttin hair as a kid.

I shave DH's head an face trim his beard an mustache he not seen a barber in 30 yrs or more.

I cut my DHs hair. He used to go to the same salon I did when we lived in another state and it was so expensive so I decided that I could do it myself. She always cut his hair with scissors so I went to walmart and bought a pair of hair scissors (not the cheapest nor most expensive) and just kinda cut it until it was how he wanted it. Now I always cut it (not as often though bc I love it when it gets a little longer and curls and he likes it shorter so I just tell him I'm busy, hehe) and it saves us $20-$30 every 4-6 weeks.

Another idea for the women to save money with your hair is to find a school near you. We have a Career Center in my town that has Adult Ed courses with a Cosmetology program. They have a working Salon that the students work in for the last part of the program before they graduate. Hair cuts are $6 and full foil is $16. I was scared at first but there are teachers everywhere walking around checking all stages of the process and IF something were to happen, they are there to fix it. They put the color/info in the computer so they know what to do next time. The only downsides are A) it takes longer than a regular salon bc the students are a little slower and the teachers are constantly stopping them to check color processing, cutting technique, etc. and B) you don't have a "regular" stylist. You can get the same person for as long as they are in the program but every 6-9 months I have someone new.

So far it has been well worth it and I have saved a TON of money.

You really don't need clippers unless you want a buzz type cut. For the faint of heart, just have your DH just get a good haircut and watch it being done. The best kind will be done with barber scissors available at beauty supply stores. Layering is very easy with scissors and you get a more professional cut.
When you start with the style he likes, all you have to do is trim it exactly the same length everyway, including the layers. I've had to adjust things a bit as my husband's hair has disappeared somewhat on top :rotfl: but he refuses to let anyone else cut it for him.
I finish the hair cut off by using his beard trimmer to clean up the hair on his neck. I do his beard and mustache shaping at the same time. Scissors first, then clean up with the beard trimmer at the edges. HTH

I think it really depends on your hair.

My younger kids' hair is really stick 'em up type hair and they look like they've stuck a finger in a light socket if it's long while my oldest has goldilocks curls if it's more than an inch or so long (if he combs it he looks like he's channeling John Travolata - a la Saturday Night Live) so the buzz is best for us and a razor cut is what they would get even if they went to the barber. We tried the scissored cut for photos once and I had to spend so much time wetting down and combing their hair it was ridiculous.

DH OTH keeps his really really short because otherwise he gets too much crud in it while working.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter