anyone consider a side trip to Anguilla on their own from St. Maarten?

Jodie that looks like a GREAT book! :) I may just have to pick that up and read it myself...

Hi,
Has anyone gone with Disney on this one? I know it costs alot but I would like to know how it was. Did you get to do both the dolphins and the stingrays for the price?
thanks,
thatmom

Originally posted by JODIELYN
This thread interested me because i have always wanted to visit the island of Anguilla ever since reading this book.

If you are at all interested in this island you must read it!

I am always looking for a good book, and I am very interested in the island and also planning a visit at the end of this month. Also, I had one item picked out at B&N and couldn't decide on a second one... you fixed that for me! My order is on its way. So a double thank you to you, Jodie! :)

Originally posted by kendall
Here is a handy reference chart showing what ID is acceptable for entering St. Maarten: http://www.travel-guide.com/data/stm/stm040.asp

and Anguilla:
http://www.travel-guide.com/data/aia/aia040.asp

The information seems to be correct and up to date, but I would be concerned about relying on a 3rd party who wouldn't necessarily keep the information up to date.

The U.S. State Department has up-to-date "Consular Information Sheets" for most countries available on its web site, including the latest travel and terrorism alerts. As one would expect, this does not include entry requirements for non-U.S. nationals.

For St. Maarten:
http://travel.state.gov/nethant.html

For Anguilla:
http://travel.state.gov/anguilla.html
Also, while most Caribbean countries will accept an original birth certificate and driver's license, these are much easier to forge and do not carry the same weight as an official passport. 99.9% of the time it makes no difference. However, I wouldn't be caught without outside the states without a passport, just on the off chance that I might need to travel to a country that requires it. For kids traveling with one parent this is doubly important because a passport is incontrovertible proof that both parents have, at one time, agreed to international travel. Will a birth certificate and a notarized letter be accepted? Sure, 99.99% of the time. It's certainly not a requirement, it's just a little insurance. I hope you don't think I'm jumping all over you, I'm just a little cautious when it comes to international travel, even if it on the mother of all organized tours, a cruise ship.

Walt

Originally posted by MelissaE1
I am always looking for a good book, and I am very interested in the island and also planning a visit at the end of this month. Also, I had one item picked out at B&N and couldn't decide on a second one... you fixed that for me! My order is on its way. So a double thank you to you, Jodie! :)

Melissa,
I love to read and this is one of my all time favorite books. Reading this transported me here and i almost hated to finish the book!

Please let me know what you think... and let me know if i should be jealous about you going to Anguilla!

Jodie

Ok, I mentioned I would investigate this excursion. Here is the scoop so far. I'm looking at how the numbers add up compared to Disney. I contacted Fantaseas directly and they indicated they do offer a discount to Disney, which when I add the numbers, may be the case.

St. Maarten to Anguilla Fantaseas Dolphin & Stingray experience

priced separately:
taxi from dock to ferry - ?
ferry from St. Maarten to Anguilla - $20/per person, round triphttp://link.ai/
taxi on St. Maarten - ?
fantaseas experience - $125 (if booked directly, regardless of age) http://www.dolphinfantaseas.com/
lunch on St. Maarten - $10/per person

That adds up to $155 so far, without the ? fares.

From Disney's website:
Anguilla Dolphin & Stingray Encounter (7 - 7.5 hours)

Swim, feed and play with dolphins while learning fascinating facts about them. There will be plenty of photo opportunities, so don't forget your camera (underwater cameras are not allowed in the water). For a perfect ending to a memorable morning, take time for fun and sun on the beach at beautiful Meads Bay, where you can enjoy an authentic Caribbean barbecue lunch.

Adult Price: $180 (ages 10 and above)
Child Price: $158 (ages 5-9)
Departure Time: 7:30 am

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/disneycruiseline/funonshore/excursiongroupingindex?id=MaartenExGrping

Usually it is considerably more cost effective to do excursions on your own, however for the minimal price difference of $25 or less, I would be inclined to book through Disney on this one.

I'm curious why this excursion hasn't been mentioned as having been done on the boards - I've seen questions about it, but no one mentioning they have done it.

I believe it is a new excursion. I know it was not available in Dec of 2001 when we last did the Eastern. My desire to go to Anguilla really does not stem from the dolphin/stingray experience. We did the stingrays in grand cayman this past December and I would think it would be hard to top that -especially since they are not in a pen or anything, just in the wild free to come and go as they wish. The dolphins you can do many places, I think I would save that for a trip to Florida. I just like seeing other cultures and islands. The beaches there are (from my friends boss) some of the most beautiful and unspoiled in the world. I like the idea of goats roaming free etc. That is why I am considering going over. I agree that the price difference is negligable and if that was what I was looking to do I probably would just book it with Disney so that I was gaurenteed to make it back to the boat. (the one thing that concerns me a tad bit but not much :) )

OK, I went back into my files and this is what I found...I’m so gladyou’re interested in my secret island get-a-way. My beach paradise for the day was the beautiful island ofAnguilla and it is very easy to visit for the day from St. Martin on the Frenchside. Here are my instructions forgetting to Shoal Bay, which I think, is the most glorious beach I’ve ever seen.Enjoy!!! You will not be sorry youlived in this heavenly spot for the day.
When youget off the ship in St. Martin (Phillipsburg) Dutch side of the island, go tothe taxi stand area and tell the attendant you want to go to Marigot harbor tothe Anguilla ferry. You will probably pour into a van with others because lotsof people like to shop in Marigot but not many take the ferry to Anguilla fromthe cruise ships. You will be glad to have the beach for yourself I’m sure. Thecost is approx. $6/adult and $3/child one-way and the ride lasts about 20minutes. Ask driver to drop you off in front of ferry area. See ferry attendant to fill out deportation form,pay deportation tax, and show proof of citizenship. Form is short and all ofthis will take about 2-5 minutes unless you have to wait in a short line butusually a ferry only takes about 20-25 people each time. Tax is $1/person adultor child and we used our driver’s licenses and birth certificates (make sure ithas a raised seal) for proof of citizenship. Ask what time the last ferry comes back from Anguilla. Usually it is 5:30 or 6:00 pm. I believe the ferry was leaving on an hourlybasis during the day that we went. We left the ship about 9:15 to 9:30 and wewere on Shoal Bay at 11:00 am. We stayed until 4:30 pm. On board the ferry, theattendant will come around and collect a ferry charge $10/adult and $5/childfor one-way passage. The ferry ridelasts about 15-20 minutes and it was a very relaxing easy passage. We took 4adults and 4 children (ages 12 months-8 years old). On arrival in Anguilla you will walk thru Customs and an officerwill look briefly at your docs and check you off the list. This took 5 minutesfor all of us to pass. Go to the taxi area right outside of this building andtell one of the drivers you want to go to Shoal Bay. Walter Vanderpool was ourdriver and if you only have a party of 3 or 4 he can take you. If you need avan just ask one of the other drivers. He is just my favorite driver andambassador of Anguilla. He also has agreat singing voice. He gave mychildren some beautiful conch shells too. If you use him please tell him we said hello and can’t wait to visit himagain. The taxi ride will last 15 to 20minutes and cost approx. $6/adult $3/child one-way. Be sure to tell them what time you wish to return and they willbe there to pick you up.
Now, youare in paradise!!! When you exit yourtaxi and walk on to Shoal Bay you need to ask for Pressure King anotherinfamous ambassador of Anguilla. Hewill arrange for your umbrella/chair/float rental for the day. He has been at this site for many years andcan answer a lot of your questions about this beautiful English island. He has a web site if you want to check itout at www.news.ai . If you want to ride in a glass bottom boat,see Junior. He might find you since heoften walks up and down the beach. He will take you out for just about anylength of time. I think he chargesabout $20/hour but you could do less or more and usually he takes the kids forfree. Uncle Ernie’s is a grill and barright on the beach and there is a bathroom but no showers are here. The sand is very fine and it just falls offanyway without much effort. The peopleat Shoal and on this island are the nicest my family has ever encountered whiletraveling the Caribbean. Please takethe time to enjoy this place and tell them how much you loved it. Have a wonderful time. You will really appreciate this quietpeaceful place after being on the ship for 3 days with 2000 people. Take your cameras so you can show all. Ifyou have any other questions just email them to clmkirk@aol.com.
P.S. Do take snorkeling equipment. This can be a good siteto see fish if you go to the right on the beach out about 20 feet.

sorry so long. Hope this helps

Thanks Trac! Iam going to have to print this out,.. I DEFINATELY am getting psyched about going thank you!

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO JEALOUS!!!! :( :( :(

I can't wait to hear more... someday i will go there!

Jodie

Tink Happy: Thanks so much for your info. We did the exact same thing but we could not remember the beach we went to. It was Shoal Bay. WE LOVED IT!! I think the name of the place we sat outside of was Le Petit Plage. I am really debating now whether we should stick to our plans of renting a car in St. Martin or going to Anguilla again. We have been to St. Martin 3 times. Once on DC and twice for week long vacations. Tough decision.

These have all been such great suggestions. Thanks especially to Tink Happy for providing so many details!

I've never been super interested in visiting St. Maarten/St. Martin, but I have changed my mind! A visit to Anguilla just sounds so dreamlike!

Hi All, Tracy has emailed me saying that there are some Anguilla seeker abaord. Folks after my own heart. We went to Anguilla while on our Halloween Cruise Oct of 2001. It was beautiful there the people are so friendly we didn't want to leave. It was very easy to get there. I am going to double check on the rates before I quote anything, but I remember it only cost each adult $57.00 round trip that included cabs to and from Marigot the ferry ride to and from and the cab to and from Shoal Bay Beach. Don't be afraid to do this excursion on your own the folks on Anguilla will not let you miss the ship. We were taken care of from the minute we got to the Marigot ferry all the way back to the Magic. More details coming I have to reasearch my trip report for names and prices. If I find it still on the trip report board I will bump it up so everyone can read it. Be right back!

I don't go again until Dec. 2003 but this is something I really want to do, I would love any and all info you have! thanks bunches in advance Ann

O.K. I found it and bumped up my old trip report " The best vacation Part 2. It has the details and the cost of our journey remeber the rates are now 2 years old. I sure wish I was going with you, maybe in the year 2004 we will return. :bounce:

I just cut and paste it into my word processor program to save and read before we go! thanks again

MelissaE1: Are you definately going to go to Anguilla. We are on your cruise and are debating it. We may wait up until that day to decide what to do. I'd like to get off the boat as soon as we can and get over to Marigot to catch the ferry. we are early risers so it shouldn't be a problem. It is a lot to do in a day and my kids are 6 and 4 and don't want to make us feel pushed. The ship leaves late so not so much worried about missing the ship but did want to do some shopping in St. Martin.
Our plans were to rent a car in St. Martin but weren't going to reserve ahead of time anyway. I gguess we are definate maybe's?!
Carolyn

Pigelet and all, Anguilla is a must do. I promise you will fall in love with this island just a my family has. I people who live on Anguilla are the nicest poeple you will ever meet. The beach we visited Shoal Bay East is like a picture out of a story book just a perfect white sanded beach, the clear blue water, not many people. The closest place to heaven without going there. You've just got to see it.

We have full plates for this year and no time for WDW or a cruise but in 2004 we are going back there. Maybe Dreams Unlimited can set us up a Disney Cruise Special for all of us Anguilla seekers. We found Oct. to be the perfect month for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter