Anyone concerned about the Real ID waiver expiring?

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
About 10 states still aren't compliant with the requirements and there's worry that by this January (after an extension of this month's deadline) that driver licenses and non-DL state IDs won't be accepted as ID at airport lines. The alternative is of course a passport card or (for permanent residents) a green card.

http://travelskills.com/2017/10/18/passport-needed-domestic/

One reason why I got my passport card was because California kept on applying for extensions on the Real ID requirement and I wasn't sure when there would be a hard deadline or if California would finally produce a compliant ID.

Yes, I'm concerned. I'm in the process of getting passports now. We never fly, buy I have no doubt we'll have some emergency pop up right after Real ID goes into effect. Murphy's Law, dontcha know!

Thanks for posting the extension info!

No, my state finally produced a compliant ID, so I'm good with my driver's license. I also don't fly much.

I'm from Oklahoma...a state currently running on a budget that's in the red. There's no way the state can afford a massive overhaul to be compliant with RealID. Personally, I'm not super worried about it because money talks...and airline companies aren't going to want to lose out on money from all of the travelers who live in states that aren't compliant. So I expect something will happen. Either federal funds will be allocated to help get states on track, or continual extensions will be provided. Of course, that's totally a wild guess and I could be wrong! Fortunately, it works out that we're going on a cruise in May so we had to get passports anyway and will be safe. But if it weren't for the cruise, I don't think we'd have opted for passports yet.

The pass card is good for domestic air travel only, not international.

Well yeah. However, I assume that it was mentioned because of that very reason. We've worried that a state ID will no longer be accepted for domestic air travel or any other federal purpose (such as entering a federal facility).

I am not really worried about it as we may just move it up to a regular pass port, but for the most part, we are not planning on flying anywhere. I prefer to drive or take the train.

Not concerned. I've had a Passport for over 40 years, my adult kids have had once since they were 2. I used the Passport for proof of citizenship when I changed jobs and opened bank accounts. And the DMV clerk when DD got her driver's license just about did cartwheels when we showed up with a Certified Copy of a Birth Certificate AND a Passports. She grabbed the Passport and said that was all we needed, but if we used the BC there were several additional steps and supervisors approvals.
We already use the Passport more for ID within the U.S. than for international travel.

Not concerned. I've had a Passport for over 40 years, my adult kids have had once since they were 2. I used the Passport for proof of citizenship when I changed jobs and opened bank accounts. And the DMV clerk when DD got her driver's license just about did cartwheels when we showed up with a Certified Copy of a Birth Certificate AND a Passports. She grabbed the Passport and said that was all we needed, but if we used the BC there were several additional steps and supervisors approvals.
We already use the Passport more for ID within the U.S. than for international travel.

Well - I got my kid a California ID at 4. I didn't bring a birth certificate, but I carried my kid's passport card on me and just whipped that out. The only thing was at that age my kid couldn't really write well enough for a signature (so I just wrote it in the signature line) and they didn't have anything for my kid to stand on for the photo. They lowered their camera rig as low as it would go and even then I had to prop up my kid.

When I got my passport card ($20 at the time) it was kind of as a curiosity. However, I've used it for a lot of reasons including domestic air travel, entering Canada and reentering the US, employment eligibility verification, and even at the bank.

Well - I got my kid a California ID at 4. I didn't bring a birth certificate, but I carried my kid's passport card on me and just whipped that out. The only thing was at that age my kid couldn't really write well enough for a signature (so I just wrote it in the signature line) and they didn't have anything for my kid to stand on for the photo. They lowered their camera rig as low as it would go and even then I had to prop up my kid.

When I got my passport card ($20 at the time) it was kind of as a curiosity. However, I've used it for a lot of reasons including domestic air travel, entering Canada and reentering the US, employment eligibility verification, and even at the bank.
My kids couldn't sign their Passports at age 2, Passport office said to have a parent sign them with the word "parent"

About 10 states still aren't compliant with the requirements and there's worry that by this January (after an extension of this month's deadline) that driver licenses and non-DL state IDs won't be accepted as ID at airport lines. The alternative is of course a passport card or (for permanent residents) a green card.

http://travelskills.com/2017/10/18/passport-needed-domestic/

One reason why I got my passport card was because California kept on applying for extensions on the Real ID requirement and I wasn't sure when there would be a hard deadline or if California would finally produce a compliant ID.

I am calling this week to find out if they are available. We were just talking about this yesterday. My 21yodd needs to get one, over break if we can. I know they extended the use of DL & MO ID's for 2 yrs, I think? My dd has travel plans so we would rather be safe about it. She is going to get a passport as well.

Gov. Eric Greitens on Monday signed legislation that will bring Missouri into compliance with the Real ID Act while giving an out to those worried about thefederal law. The bill, which goes into effect Aug. 28, allows those who wish to get a Real ID-compliant driver's license to do so.
(Jun 12, 2017)

Last edited:
Get a passport. Problem solved.

I've had one for a very long time. I'm not worried in the least and I'm in a state that is non-compliant. For the life of me, I'm not sure why. Something about "privacy" concerns. Given that nearly everyone's data was hacked in the recent Equifax kerfluffle, this seems like a silly excuse not to bring our state into compliance. Besides which, air travel is not a "right." No one is forcing you to get this ID or to fly on planes. Offer it so that those of us who want one can get it.

My state has the "secure ID" thing. It is really not a simple thing to get if you have been married more than once. You have to dig up a lot of paperwork.

We got our passports back this summer just in case NJ did not extend the waiver again. Paid for the cards too so we wouldn’t have an issue on domestic flights. I had been meaning to get them anyway in case a good international travel package opened up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter