Anyone book two one-way airefares to save money?

uncool

Earning My Ears
Looking at traveling to WDW in mid January and am finding it difficult to get a good combo of flight times and cost from choosing Round Trips.

I can get close to what I want by buying two one-way tickets on two different airlines.

Any issues with this plan?

Yup, done that a lot.

No problems, no extra security just $$$ savings.

It's not such a big deal anymore as carriers like SW, JB etc sell one way tickets, all your RT tickets on them are actually 2 one way tickets.

We are actually doing this on our upcoming December trip. We originally were going to fly AirTran round trip, but a couple of weeks ago they decided to cancel our flight home and bump us to a flight that was leaving super early in the morning, our original flight home was at 8pm :sad2:. When I called they said that we could get that flight refunded so we can go to another carrier. Now we are flying AirTran to MCO and then AA on the way home.

got a great fare down for Christmas on USAir, then waited for SW to open return flight back. For a family of 5, it saved us at least $500. And, I always book SW tickets as 2 one ways--so that if fare goes down on one leg, I can make an easy switch.
Only downside is if you needed to change/cancel your flights---most airlines charge $100 change fee and that would be for each one way ticket vs. a RT would only have one $100 charge.

got a great fare down for Christmas on USAir, then waited for SW to open return flight back. For a family of 5, it saved us at least $500. And, I always book SW tickets as 2 one ways--so that if fare goes down on one leg, I can make an easy switch.Only downside is if you needed to change/cancel your flights---most airlines charge $100 change fee and that would be for each one way ticket vs. a RT would only have one $100 charge.

Two one ways on SW is always a wise move. Just want to add that SW does not charge a fee to make a change or to take advantage of a fare decrease.

I haven't booked r/t flights in years. In fact, I sometimes book with two different airlines. If I'm flying solo, and my dh is picking me up at the airport, I will sometimes use two different airlines at different airports.

We switch between Jet Blue and Continental out of EWR depending on fares. No problems..

I have been doing just that for the last few years.......SW to MCO and JB back home. Not only have I been lucky to save some $$, but the flight times work out better for me, too! :thumbsup2
Also, since I generally check only one bag, I don't pay a luggage fee either! :banana:

Absolutely! We're leaving tomorrow morning on Continental to Disney, coming home on Delta.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter