Anyone been to Showcase of Citrus?

makingplans4WDW

Mouseketeer
We would like to pick up some fresh oranges (and possibly pick-our-own) at the end of our mid-November Disney trip. Any opinions on Showcase of Citrus? Any other recommendations? We would definitely need to visit a place that has the option of the oranges already picked for purchase... just in case we end up spending our orange-picking time at Disney instead! ;)

We went a few years ago during our Christmas visit. It was great with many samples, you could pick your own or they had pre picked. Best oranges ever. :santa:

A good way to spend a couple hours--I recommend picking your own, not that much time and surprisingly fun. I think it was $10 for a decent-sized bag. There's also an old-fashioned general store with jellies and fudge and such, and a couple gator statutes that are good for photo ops. A small slice of Old Florida.

This looks like fun. We always try something new when we go to Disney/Florida. I think we have found our side trip for the next vacation. :cool1:

Depending on the time of the year you visit, be sure to check out the free shuttle which will take you further into the groves so you may pick what is in season. Make sure you try the samples inside the general store! Keylime Honey is so good!.....We are looking forward to arriving in January, as so much is in season (varieties available are on their website).http://www.showcaseofcitrus.com/season-chart/

We try to make a stop every time we're in FL! The grounds are very nice and the staff is superb! We have brought bags home without problem on nearly every trip. Definitely worth the drive.
The red navels were absolutely delicious the last time we visited. Make sure to sample them all before going out to pick, so you know what you like best. :thumbsup2

Thank you all for the terrific advice! :thumbsup2 We will definitely make time to visit Showcase of Citrus.

And 2 hours for picking our own oranges sounds very feasible! (I thought it might take a lot longer...) My two little kids will love doing this. We take them apple picking every year, and it is always a fun adventure.

I especially appreciate the suggestion to taste some samples so we know what we want before we pick. :cheer2: There will be several varieties available for harvest in November so this will help us narrow the field.

Thank you again for the guidance to date. Please continue to share as you have more. All advice appreciated! :flower3:

Deeply discounted admission to Showcase of Citrus is currently being offered by Groupon:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/showca...53ae2654bfda35bb62e8f73a94986221bf1e6850500a1

Tickets expire 90 days after purchase, so this will only be helpful to those planning a visit in the next three months.

Their website says admission into the groves is free. That surprised me because I figured there would be, at least, some small admission. How cool is THAT!

Oh...o.k. After looking at the Groupon (which is now unavailable) it was for the Monster Truck Off-road Eco Tour.

I'd love to have a bushel shipped to me for the holidays :goodvibes but it suuuure would be better if I could be there to pick my own. I've had it on our agendas but we still haven't made it.

I forgot they shipped:cutie: I'm in because we will not have time or a car on our upcoming trip.pixiedust:

Just happened to talk to a friend who visited Showcase of Citrus in Dec 2011. She highly recommends it! Her family loves the fresh oranges so much that I'll be bringing her back a half bushel. ;) Looking forward to our visit in just a few more days! :dance3:

Love this place! Just went last week. Definitely free but the Eco tour has a cost. We spent quite a bit of time looking around. Fell in love with their free roaming chickens and kitties! DD didn't want to leave. Boiled peanuts and orange slushies are a must!!!

A good way to spend a couple hours--I recommend picking your own, not that much time and surprisingly fun. I think it was $10 for a decent-sized bag. There's also an old-fashioned general store with jellies and fudge and such, and a couple gator statutes that are good for photo ops. A small slice of Old Florida.

I too recommend picing your own. My family had a blast and hope to do it again.

We love Fl citrus, but we've never done pick your own. Might have to stop on the way into Disney
We are never going to have enough time to get this all done. I'll have to talk DH into going back next year too:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter