Anyone been to bluezoo recently? Best thing you've eaten there?

PracPerfPatricia

DIS Veteran
We'll be going to Disney for a shortish trip early December and staying at the Beach Club... We have ressies for bluezoo ...and I'm really looking forward to it...since we've never been there.

I've always been curious about bluezoo-although it seems to get less reviews than many of the other signature restaurants -but the reviews that it gets generally seem very good..

I've read great things about the fish.. which is great... we love fish (Flying Fish is one of our favorite Dis restaurants...:thumbsup2)

Has any one eaten there recently and had something they really liked that they'd care to share...?

(Can be an appetizer, entree, dessert, drink...anything at all...)

Thanks...:)

It is going to get fewer reviews as it is upscale, not in a park, and not on the dining plan.

Crab nachos are not on the menu but you can still ask for them. Plan to share the platter, it's huge.

I love the Cantonese-style lobster. However, because it is fried and sweet, I think it makes a better shared appetizer (for 2-4 people) than an entree for one. Also, the seared scallop appetizer is outstanding. I had a foie gras terrine that was great, too. Not sure if that's still available.

The fish entrees can be prepared just about any way you want (several sauces to choose from) and the waiters will offer some suggestions about which preparation works best with each fish.

bluezoo is my favorite restaurant at WDW. The best thing I've had here is the dessert special that was a peanut butter/chocolate thing. I'm not a dessert eater but bluezoo has an award winning pasty chef so I usually indulge here and this peanut butter thing was amazing.

For food, the scallop with pork rib appetizer is very very very very good. It's quite rich so if I get this, I usually do not order an entree. I may get something from the raw bar for an appetizer and then have the scallop for my entree.

Out of the entrees, I think maybe the Cantonese sticky lobster is my favorite. I've had ahi, yellowtail, sea bass and the dancing fish also. Although good, the dancing fish was probably my least favorite of anything I've had on the current menu.

bluezoo is a very adult restaurant and I think because of it's atmosphere and the fact that it's not on the dining plan, it just doesn't get a lot of traffic here on the boards. It's our go-to adult night out meal on every WDW vacation now.

As Pakey says, the scallop/short rib appetizer is excellent. I rate it as the best appetizer at WDW.

All their fish is good--I usually get the Swordfish that is "dusted" with Southern Spices.

The only thing I steer clear of is their clam chowder. It really isn't a chowder at all--more like a broth. Not very good the time I had it

Bluezoo is one of our favourite places to eat, this is what we thought when we tried the taster menu on a previuos trip,

We were brought some bread and had a chat about the menu. Both Al and I wanted to know more about the Chef's taster menu and decided to go with that once we knew what each course was. The server explained it usually takes 2 hours but said he could hurry it up a bit if we wanted so the kids didn't get bored. They looked relieved! :D

crab24.jpg

course 1 ~ Sea Bass with a pea puree and micro green beans & beetroot.

crab25.jpg

course 2 ~ Black grouper on a bed of risotto with red ribbon sorrel and organic squash

crab26.jpg

course 3 ~ Seared foie gras with fava beans and bourbon gastrique

crab27.jpg

At this stage they brought the kids meals which they both enjoyed

Lois - Beef Tenderloin - celery root, asparagus, seasonal mushrooms, warm salsify gel, veal jus $42

crab28.jpg

Callie - Kids Grilled Beef Tenderloin - steamed vegetable, mashed potato $16.00

crab29.jpg

course 4 ~ Wagyu beef tenderloin with crispy red potatoes

crab30.jpg

course 5 - I went for the dessert trio

crab31.jpg

course 5 - Al went for the cheese

crab32.jpg

The cost of the taster menu was $79 but everything we had was soooooo good! The portions were just right even though they look tiny, it's because the plates are HUGE! :hehe: Service was excellent.

It is going to get fewer reviews as it is upscale, not in a park, and not on the dining plan.

Crab nachos are not on the menu but you can still ask for them. Plan to share the platter, it's huge.

Hey there TDC NALA! :)

Do you know how much the crab nacho's are? You can spit this? Do we need to order entrees too? Or can we split appetizers and drinks? THANKS AGAIN! :) :)

Brunette

DD and I will be eating there on Wednesday - It's Magical Dining Month and we'll be ordering off of the prix fixe menu: $30 for appetizer, entree and dessert!! :banana: It is our "must do" restaurant...Simply Fish for me; DD will order either Simply Fish or the Dancing Fish and when older DD is with us, she always orders the Miso-glazed Mero and the Roasted Beet Salad. DH and SIL ordered the Tenderloin and both really enjoyed it on our last visit. DDs also always order the Tempura Haricot Verts as an appetizer. Everything is delicious - especially the desserts!

I loved both the scallop and short ribs and the low country shimp and grits on the appetizer menu.

Melissa

Bluezoo has a bar/cafe where you can sit without a reservation and order anything off the menu - entrees, appetizers, cocktails, ask for crab nachos. Sorry, I don't remember the price. But I do suggest splitting them. I know I've had them this year, of course I can't guarantee they'll still make them.

I also know they discontinued the tasting menu earlier this year.

I've had the sea bass, it's such a good preparation, the fish stays so moist. I love the Ahi Tuna. My son really enjoys the pork, he just gets cheddar grits rather than the black eye peas! And the Dirty swordfish rocks!

Our favorite starters are the fois gras terrine, it's luscious! The tuna tartare with the siracha aioli, we order it every time, with 6 people we order 3! The beet salad with goat cheese is so fresh and well dressed! The walnut oil vinaigrette, yum! Beets get such a bad rap these days!

One night when the kids didn't want to go, my 2 girlfriends and I went while they hit the parks! We were at the bar, we had martinis and the shellfish platter, I mean wow! The ceviche , the shrimp, oysters, so fresh and well presented, out of this world!

The only dessert I've ever tasted, a version of banana creme pie, it has caramel, toffee, carmelized bananas! I wish I were more of a dessert person!

It's expensive but Blue Zoo is worth it IMO!!

Im enjoying this thread. We love Bluezoo but usually just sit in the bar area and order apps and drinks as we do our drink around the Boardwalk. ;) But now I have some great ideas for dinner. Thanks!

I haven't seen a piece of foi gras like that at Disney in ages!

Disney banned the service of foie gras from its restaurants two or three years ago. This was apparently done in reaction to a movement regarding alleged animal cruelty in its production.

The Dolphin is not a Disney resort, so they can serve it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter