anyone been stuck in the Denver Airport for lengthy layover?

Mrs. M. Mouse

Dreaming of Disney
Frontier went and bumped my flights in august so that we end up having a 4 hr layover in the denver airport (yipee :eek: ) so I'm wondering if anyone's had a lengthy layover here before???

I know they have food places from the last time we flew through there but do they have shopping areas inside the check in area? 4 hrs is a LOOOOONNG time to kill on our way to WDW....on the way home I wouldn't care cause we're just coming home but on the way there is going to be very tough with all the anticipation lol....

any help would be great! Thanks muchly!

Hi there,

We live in Denver and fly out of there all the time. Unfortunately, there isn't much shopping. There is a big Crocs store on the United (B) concourse. My kids love that. Other than that, there's not much there. So sorry!

Kinda what i figured! thanks though...we'll just have to bring our dvd player and watch a movie and hope the time passes quickly! We'll all be antsy I'm sure lol...

I was a business traveller going through Denver almost biweekly for over 3 years (of a 98% travel job). I've even had to spend the night there a couple times due to cancelled flights - on United's dime, of course.

I never get bored there. I think Frontier comes in on Terminal A, which is okay, but not fabulous selections. With that many hours to spend, you could also take them on the underground concourse train, that is entirely in security, so you can visit other terminals easily. Each terminal is designed slightly differently and the corresponding artworks represents different aspects of the state of Colorado. Heck - the terminal building, when you land, represents the snowcapped mountains of the state.

Concourse B (United's) is of course the most extensive with the most choices. It has great dining - I absolutely love the French bistro in the center of the concourse - right above the train stop - and there are soooo many other foods - I do like the Mexican place on the second level, too. There are a handful of fun toy and jewlery stores on that concourse, as well. With that many hours to spend, you could also take them on the underground concourse train, that is entirely in security, so you can visit other terminals easily. Each terminal is designed slightly differently and the corresponding artworks represents different aspects of the state of Colorado. Heck - the terminal building, when you land, represents the snowcapped mountains of the state.

Keep in mind that the Denver airport is MASSIVE!!!!! It will take you longer than you think to get from one end of a terminal to the other. They are not short, at all, but the equivalent of a couple city blocks long. As long as you know that ahead of time, you'll be okay. Have a great trip!

I live in Denver too. :) There is some shopping, but not a lot. The train can be fun, depending on the ages of your kids. Have a safe trip!

Thanks for all the tips and information! Sounds like it won't be so bad after all! I was honestly dreading it!

I live in Denver and travel 1-2 per month. The best terminal to spend time in is B. The like the Wolfgang Puck Express. It is upstairs near the train station. In addition, there is a business center in that area. There are cubicles with AC power. A good place to sit and use your computer. The Denver Airport does offer free WiFi. The use of the business center is free. In terminal C, Southwest has upgraded several of their gates with power stations. I would not bother going to the main terminal as there is not much else to do then what you can do in terminal A, B or C, plus the hassle of clearing security again.

Some folks get confused on how to get between the terminals. The only way to get between the terminals (A, B, or C) is by way of the train. You cannot walk.

As mentioned previously, Denver is a large airport. Give yourself plenty of time to get around. DIA is the 4th or 5th busiest airports in the US. Because it is a newer facility, things are more spreadout.

... With that many hours to spend, you could also take them on the underground concourse train, that is entirely in security, so you can visit other terminals easily. Each terminal is designed slightly differently and the corresponding artworks represents different aspects of the state of Colorado. Heck - the terminal building, when you land, represents the snowcapped mountains of the state.

I highly reccomend riding the trains as well for a little added fun! Just be mindful of the concourse you're at so that you don't end up back at the main terminal...but even then, as long as you don't exit, you remain in the secured area and should be able to ride it back.

One of my personal favorite things to do is walk around and look at the planes. Depending on the time of Day, there are several United Boeing 777s, a Lufthansa A340 (my favorite), a British Airways 777, along with many Airbus 319s, 320s, ERJs, and a variety of regional props. Sadly, there are rarely any 747s, but once in a while we get lucky.

On the west end of each concourse, you get a great view of the mountains.

Even though the airport is large and busy, it's not usually difficult to find a quiet area in a gate that is not in use at some point during the day and just chill, maybe read a book or watch a movie on a portable device, surf the web, etc.

I know that's not much, but hopefully it helps you with an hour or so.

All the information you've all supplied I'm sure will be great to fill the time with...our flight is still some time away (63 days lol) so I suppose there is still time for yet another change in times but I know that we'll survive the 4 hrs if we have to lol...

Thanks again!

I've flown in and out of and have had many layovers in Denver in the past few years. We usually fly on United because my dad is a Global Services member which has certain perks that make flying less stressful.

If you are flying United, I recommend purchasing a one-day pass to the Red Carpet Club, if you aren't a member of a frequent traveler program that includes membership. It is $40 for the day, and well worth it in my opinion. There are an assortment of coffees, teas, and sodas, a selection (albeit very limited) of snacks, like cheese and crackers, pastries, cookies, etc., and usually a cash bar. It also includes free wireless internet access, places to charge electronics, and multiple televisions. The best part is there is somewhere to go outside the hustle and bustle of the airport terminal. The downside to the one-day membership however, is that it is $40 per person, so it can get pretty costly if you are traveling as a family. That said, I really doubt they would make you pay for your children because of their ages.

In terms of dining, I recommend the French bistro in the center of the concourse. It is set up like a cafeteria with A LOT to choose from. They make a really good vegetarian panini. I also really like Wolfgang Puck Express on the second floor. The pizza is super good. There is also a Caribou Coffee and a Jamba Juice on the second floor, as well as a smokers' lounge if anyone in your party smokes.

Shopping in the United concourse is limited with your standard airport/travel shops stocked with magazines, tacky Denver themed souveniers, and the infamous neck pillow.

Hope that helps! :)
Simon

Another idea... If you're kids are excited about airplanes. There is a bridge that goes from the A concourse to the terminal. The bridge is tall enough for planes to pass underneath. My son loved standing on the bridge and watching the planes go under him.

The bridge sounds super awesome! Where we live there's a picnic area near the end of the runway where we go eat supper in the summer watching the planes come and go!

Another idea... If you're kids are excited about airplanes. There is a bridge that goes from the A concourse to the terminal. The bridge is tall enough for planes to pass underneath. My son loved standing on the bridge and watching the planes go under him.

Didn't even think of that.... I'm always so busy going through there that I forget to stop and look. I highly reccomend doing this! If it's the right time of day you will see a lot of planes...mostly Frontier and a few still painted in the Midwest livery, as well as any that may be taxiing under the bridge.

Supposedly some or all of Denver International Airport is actually built on or near some Native American burial ground. Because of this they often play Native American chanting through the speakers in the bridge area..sometimes it's really quiet and other times it's really loud. I have heard, but not seen, that somewhere at the end of the bridge (on the A concourse side) there is a plaque or memorial providing a little of that history.

I have been in the Denver airport for a very long time on a few occassions. Four hours is not that bad. Walk the length of your terminal. The little train is kind of fun. Not a lot of shopping that is different than any other airport except the crocs store. By the time you get off plane and take a quick break, perhaps a snack or buying the next meal to take on plane and figure out where the next flight is leaving from, you may only have 3 hours.

The United Red Carpet Club does do a one day pass - buy it in advance on line, it is $39. I rarely see kids in there. Not sure if Frontier has a similar place or not.

The United Red Carpet Club does do a one day pass - buy it in advance on line, it is $39. I rarely see kids in there. Not sure if Frontier has a similar place or not.

Unfortunately, the only current Frontier lounge is in Milwaukee. A one day pass there is $35.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter