Anybody feeling creative for World AIDS Day?

MarkyLeicester

Earning My Ears
Good Morning All!
I'm getting into this whole 'disboard thing' now (though i'm still 'Earning my Ears'), and from the threads that i've been reading this site seems to attract a lot of creative minds and im hoping to exploit that :thumbsup2. I have also spotted a few people who are living with HIV or AIDS and i'm hoping you guys pass by this thread too.
I work here in the UK as a Drug, Alcohol and Sexual Health worker covering an area in West London. I am becoming increasingly concerned about the number of young people who are claiming to have little or no knowledge of HIV and AIDS including what they are and how they can be transmitted and treated. Those that think they are 'in the know' often have very prejudiced and dated views. To address this I am trying to put together a resource pack for primary schools (up tp 11) and would like a variety of activities surrounding awareness and attitudes etc culminating in a group of year 6 pupils (10/11 years old) putting on an assembly to the rest of the school with role play, drama etc.
Does anybody have any ideas / experiences that you think would be useful? I would be extremely grateful of any ideas you have, let's see what we come up with...

Many Thanks.
Mark x

Hi Mark!

I just saw this post and feel bad you don't have any responces. It sounds like you do some great work! Sadly, I can't hink of anything at the moment, but I will try to think of something. The least I can do is bump this up for others to see. it sounds like you have a tough but truly important job. You should be proud.

Noah

Thanks!
I have to admit, I was a bit dissapointed with the 'not one response' thing. I was also worried in case i'd offended anyone who may have thought I post this here because AIDS is solely a gay issue. I can reassure you it was not my intention and this request was also posted in the communities board and UK communities board. Thanks for your comments,
Much appreciated :thumbsup2

Marky -- I really don't think you've offended and that obviously (to me anyway) wasn't the intention of your post. None of the regular posters to this forum (that I know of) work in public sector health services that would have experience to speak from to help you brainstorm. I now a lot of gays and lesbians have direct life experience with HIV/AIDS. DH & I are lucky in that we can count the number of HIV positive friends and acquaintances we have on one hand. Personally, I have absolutely no current experience with that age group to even begin to provide ideas. Don't know how it is in the UK, but sexual health education (including AIDS education) is a fairly controversial topic in some communities in the US (so perhaps another reason why no response?). Just some thoughts.

Sorry that I don't have any ideas to share with you about working with youth re: AIDS, but I thought that I'd mention that although World AIDS Day (December 1) is more than 6 months away, the 25th anniversary of the first report of AIDS is on June 5, right around the corner.

I'm commerating the day by participating in AIDS/LifeCycle, a 7 day, 585 mile bike ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles to benefit the San Francisco AIDS Foundation (http://www.sfaf.org).

You can learn more about AIDS/LifeCycle by going to http://aidslifecycle.org, and you can even sponsor me in my journey by going to http://aidslifecycle.org/1200. My goal is to raise $5000, and I'm halfway there!

WOW that's great. Good luck in the race. Also i'm interested in how much you are involved with the charity, maybe we could link up in some way? Would be great if we could pair people, especially kids as pen-pals.

Hi, Marky!

I seem to be a bit tardy to this thread! :blush: Hope you are still looking for input!

I have been working with AIDS charities since 1994. We have several HIV+ friends, and we have also lost some dear friends. Bless you for the work you do!

I think it is hard for people in the US to understand the curriculum allowed in the UK. My son is in your target age range, and he has not been exposed to ANYTHING remotely resembling HIV education. The schools are very strict about sex education, STD's, birth control, etc. When my son was younger I used to think I wouldn't be nervous to talk to him about sex and HIV, but as the time draws near I am getting cold feet, and I don't know that my DH will be any better at it than I! I want him to have correct information and I want him to be comfortable asking me any questions he might have, but introducing the topic is tricky!

I am on the committee for the Dallas area AIDS walk, and we participate as a family each year. DS knows we walk to help people with AIDS, and that AIDS destroys your immune system, but so far he hasn't thought to ask HOW the HIV gets in there to begin with. With our country being so prude about HIV I don't know if any of us can come up with anything brilliant for kids so young. But I will think on it and get back to you if I have any ideas!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter