Anybody ever BYOB of liquor to dinner?

Now what raised some eyebrows a few weeks ago was when the Cake Boss (from the Food Network show) was in Palo and ordered a few $1700 shots of scotch (I think it was Scotch).

MJ

Wow! I am thinking it may have been Louis XIV Cognac at that price. Who does that??!! Oh yeah, LOUD guys with a cake show on Food Network.

I usually bring one of the small "airplane" size liquors to dinner in my purse or pocket. Never a problem. Just make sure when you order your soda, ect as a mixer the server does not whisk away your drink to give you a new cup for a refill. I would tell my assistant waiter at dinner that it had something "special in it".

Jill

Has anyone actually paid the corkage fee? I keep hearing stories about it being waived.

Yes we have. My DH usually brings 3-4 bottles of wine per cruise and typically he has been charged the corkage fee (and happily paid) on every other bottle. YMMV

Thank you for this thread! I will be taking ingredients for making conch coolers. I will be enjoying at least one per dinner.:thumbsup2

Now what raised some eyebrows a few weeks ago was when the Cake Boss (from the Food Network show) was in Palo and ordered a few $1700 shots of scotch (I think it was Scotch).

MJ

Totally off topic, but I am curious. Do you mean Buddy Valastro, of the show Cake Boss, on TLC? I'm an avid Food Network fan, and can't figure out who it would be if it is a Food Network show personality.

No matter who it is, if they have the money, I don't care how they blow it, but I would be staring so hard that my food would get cold. Yikes. That is a HECK of a lot of money for some alcohol. I'd imagine that it would have to be the best scotch that I've ever had. :) I can't even imagine!

I never really thought about it before, but I suppose it would be a good idea, especially if you enjoy a good sipping tequila. From what I understand, Patron is the highest quality tequila the ships stocks. And Patron is high end in price only, it is a actually a very average quality tequila.

Due to space and cost limitations, I imagine DCL is somewhat limited in the variety of liquors they offer. If anyone knows what tequila DCL stocks, I'd be interested to know. I know they serve Patron in their tequila tastings.

Too bad DCL doesn't have some Mexican-themed entrees on the Western itinerary that a fine tequila would go nicely with!

Totally off topic, but I am curious. Do you mean Buddy Valastro, of the show Cake Boss, on TLC? I'm an avid Food Network fan, and can't figure out who it would be if it is a Food Network show personality.

No matter who it is, if they have the money, I don't care how they blow it, but I would be staring so hard that my food would get cold. Yikes. That is a HECK of a lot of money for some alcohol. I'd imagine that it would have to be the best scotch that I've ever had. :) I can't even imagine!

Yes, his whole family was onboard with him....they had prepared a beautiful "Dream" cake for the Dream's 1 year anniversary. It was aired on the Cake Boss show. He and his wife were also renewing their vows on the cruise.

There are some threads on the board about it as well.

I am sure there is a Youtube video of the cake out there....I also think it may have been on Disney Parks Blog as well.

The cake was pretty cool looking...

Ok...here is a link to the Disney Food Blog where there are some pics and article.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/...lastro-creates-a-disney-dream-cake-literally/

I also don't care how someone spends their money.....booze is not that big a deal to me so I could never spend it on that but hey, to each their own!!!

MJ

Yes we have. My DH usually brings 3-4 bottles of wine per cruise and typically he has been charged the corkage fee (and happily paid) on every other bottle. YMMV

We did the same. We brought on a case of wine between the four adults in our group and paid the corkage on the ones we had in the dining room (a couple were prosecco for the sail away party). We figured that by the time we paid the corkage fee and added that to the cost of the wine we were bringing, we would be having much better wine than those in the packages on board at essentially the same price. We packaged them up in wine shipping boxes, checked them at the airline (we had first class mileage tickets that trip so that was free), retrieved the boxes from baggage and carried them over to DME for the ride over to OKW. There we had to break them down into smaller amounts to put in our ship carry-ons, since boxes are not allowed to be brought on board (I had checked on that in advance).

Our servers didn't mind at all. As a matter of fact, after the first night or two, they were all curious to see what we had brought that evening! As a result, we established a fun relationship with not only our servers, but with others in the area as well. We knew the program on the corkage fee, gladly paid it, and may have even added in a few extra bucks for our servers, which they appreciated as well. It seemed to be a win/win for everyone.

From what I understand, Patron is the highest quality tequila the ships stocks. And Patron is high end in price only, it is a actually a very average quality tequila.

I suppose that is a matter of opinion. We like to drink it straight up with no training wheels, preferably straight out of the freezer but room temperature will do. Anjeo is the smoothest, and Patron is aged 2 years. I have had some pretty expensive Tequila that didn't taste as good.

I will let you know how this works out. I placed an order with a liquor merchant on the Internet which is based in Southern California, and the booze will be delivered to the hotel where we will be staying prior to our MR cruise on 4/22.

Prices were very reasonable, which more than made up for the $25 delivery fee. It's more about convenience than anything, since we are flying in and won't have a rental car.

Just Google "buy liquor on the internet in (city where you want it delivered)" and you will get a list to choose from. Keep in mind that delivery of alcohol is not legal in all states-- but it is in CA! Heck, everything is legal there. :thumbsup2

I know boxed wine has a bad rap but it has come a long way. I packed a box of Black Box. It was really pretty good and 1 box has the equal volume of 4 bottles but is much lighter and very much less breakable. I put it in a giant zip lock baggie just in case and it lasted almost the whole 7 days. Will do this again for sure on our cruise next year.

I'm also a fan of Black Box, it is a good table wine. I hope to bring something a little nicer on our cruise - and there are higher end boxed wines. Wineberry is very good for the price point.

Yes, his whole family was onboard with him....they had prepared a beautiful "Dream" cake for the Dream's 1 year anniversary. It was aired on the Cake Boss show. He and his wife were also renewing their vows on the cruise.

There are some threads on the board about it as well.

I am sure there is a Youtube video of the cake out there....I also think it may have been on Disney Parks Blog as well.

The cake was pretty cool looking...

Ok...here is a link to the Disney Food Blog where there are some pics and article.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/...lastro-creates-a-disney-dream-cake-literally/

I also don't care how someone spends their money.....booze is not that big a deal to me so I could never spend it on that but hey, to each their own!!!

MJ

I'm sure he didn't pay anything for the scotch. There was probably a deal between DCL and TLC for providing the cake, the cruise and everything else that they did. TLC got a "cool show idea" and DCL got extra advertising.

I know boxed wine has a bad rap but it has come a long way. I packed a box of Black Box. It was really pretty good and 1 box has the equal volume of 4 bottles but is much lighter and very much less breakable. I put it in a giant zip lock baggie just in case and it lasted almost the whole 7 days. Will do this again for sure on our cruise next year.

Just as long as its in your Carry on.....ENJOY!:cool1:

AKK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter