Any tips for planning first cruise?

Fionasmommy

DIS Veteran
I was just doing my Disney travel agent training, and instead of just learning how to sell a DCL, I got sold on it myself! :teeth: It looks fabulous, and we'd love to give it a go! It would be DD4 & I, and we've never cruised before! I have no idea when to go, where to go, etc. We just know that we want to go!

What should we think about when we planning our cruise? What are the benefits to different seasons, intineraries, etc.? And for the veteran cruisers, is there anything you learned while cruising that you wished you had known for your first trip?

TIA!! :sunny:

Welcome to cruising DCL style. There are tons of helpful hints and tips all over this board. My advice is take an hour -- or five -- and just keep reading. You just may stay up all night! :rotfl2: Have fun planning!

My advice: buy the Passporter book for DCL! The new edition was just released and it is a must have! We just returned from our 1st Disney Cruise and I can not even imagine sailing without the knowledge I obtained from the DIS boards and my Passporter.

I agree...read some of the threads here...(or all of them! :cool1: ). I have never cruised before and since the Magic will be in the Med. in 2007, we won't cruise until summer of 2008, but I feel like I already know the Magic and all the ports. :rotfl2:

Have fun!

I also agree the DCL Passporter is very good, but this site is amazing.

If you have any questions just feel free to ask.
;)

My advice is, "don't overplan." It's easy to feel overwhelmed when you're reading the boards, like you might miss out on something if you aren't online at 3 a.m. the day they start taking excursion reservations. I remember on our first cruise, I got so stressed thinking I needed to run all over the ship the moment we stepped on board to book the kid's club, spa reservations, Palo, etc. that I just decided to go eat and relax. We still got to do all we wanted and more that week. Truth is, my wife doesn't like to have every moment of the week mapped out (I have to make an effort to forego the planning). There is so much to do that doesn't have to be reserved beforehand, and there are always cancellations at the spa and Palo's. And there is so much to do on the ship and in the ports (especially on your first cruise), that we rarely want to devote the time to excursions. If you miss out on any of the "Disney" excursions, step on shore and there are a million places where you can walk up and book your own. Bottom line--RELAX & HAVE FUN!!!

When you pack, take 1/2 out and and will be good to go. Definately don't over pack. Especially now since DCL has the new casual dining dress code.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter