Any tips for a 1st time solo traveller?

susanrose73

Mouseketeer
I'm leaving in a week for the first time on a solo trip for 6 days!

Anybody recommend anything or have any tips to share?

:wizard:

Be flexible and have fun. I think you'll find a consensus that that's one of the best parts of a solo trip, being able to slow down and smell the roses. If you hear live music playing, go looking for it - I found the Main St Philharmonic and British Revolution completely by accident.

I don't know if you have any ADRs, but I'm a big champion of "don't be shy about eating alone." Also, don't be shy about meeting characters alone.

If you've never done Animation Academy at DHS (and even if you have), it's a lot of fun - you will learn to draw a Disney character. Even if you think you can't draw, just relax and follow along and you might be surprised at how well your drawing turns out.

Edit to add: Two more general "been there done that" tips: If the day is cold, do not go to AK. Not all the animals will be out on the safari and walking trails. (For example, a CM said the bats at Maharajah Jungle Trek can't come out if it's under 55 degrees.) Kali River Rapids will also be closed if it's too cold.

And be sure you have fresh/fully charged batteries for your camera. Had to take a break on my DHS day when my camera died. Luckily I was at BC, but it was still an unplanned detour on the day.

Congrats and enjoy!

My first solo trip, I made a big mistake. I had been to WDW many times. So many, that the routine that was used with my family/kids was ingrained in my head and that was how I proceeded. It was the same trip, except I was by myself.

I have been solo many times sense and have learned to do it my way. If I want to sleep in, then I do. If I want to sit for an hour and watch families enjoy the moment, I do. I always make some ADR even it's it's just for an appetizer and dessert. My solo trips are some of my greatest memories along with the very different trips we take when the kids go.

Have fun and don't be afraid to do what you want to.

I'm leaving for my second solo trip in a week too!! You've been given lots of good advice. I made ADRs for each day except arrival day and departure day. If I choose to cancel, I can. I did make a very loose itenirary (sp?) I can change if I want to. If I want to have an adult beverage; I will. Have fun!!

Thanks for the advice! Getting very excited. Friends and family think I'm nuts. And my mother keeps thinking I have some secret motive! They don't get my disney love! :cloud9:

Eat at the Biergarden rest. in Germany. The rest. seating is cool with different parties eating at the same table. If you are social this can be fun.

I am hopeful of going to disney world solo! Planning maybe in December for my birthday. Any advice?

:cool1:

I found myself accidentally on two "solo" trips last year, one in DL and one in WDW. Both times family were with me but decided they didn't want to do much besides stay at the hotel. :confused3 My advice is to do whatever it is that you could never do with family or a partner or anyone else. For me, it wasn't so much taking my leisurely time as it was making a meticulously planned ride schedule and hitting EVERY ride in each park (I know, I'm a crazy person :rolleyes2). I would suggest bringing something to do in lines, which is the time when I found myself getting lonely and wishing I had someone to talk with to pass the time. Otherwise, being by myself helped make the trips special because they were really my own. Good luck!

My mistake was too short a trip and not getting enough sleep. Kind of sort of the same problem. I only got like 21 hours of sleep from Sunday til Thursday. It by far wasn't enough. I couldn't bring myself to leave the parks early because I was getting so much accomplished. Then for assorted reasons I wasn't getting great sleep at night. I think if I would have added an extra day (the trip was Monday-Thursday) I would have felt better about leaving the parks earlier because I'd always be able to go back for a little while on that extra day OR I could have still done the parks the same way but I would have had a day to nap and relax.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter