Any recent experience with kids on DxDP ordering adult menu items?

GillianP1301

DIS Veteran
Last August, my son (then 8) was able to order meals from the adult menu with no issues at all. This coming summer will be our last trip with him under 10 years old so hoping to be able to take advantage of this same thing again because the kid loves steak and it's definitely a money saver for me. But, I will only upgrade to the DxDP if I know this is still mostly being done (I know that the non Disney owned restaurants tend to be the exception), otherwise I'll be better off paying OOP.

Anybody have any experience with this in the last few months?

Okay that's perfect. I read a post from October that seemed adamant that it was no longer allowed so I wanted to confirm before making plans If my 9 year old will have order primarily off the kids menu then I'd pay for his in cash and save the credits for more signature meals. Thanks for the update

I've heard that with QS meals, this isn't a problem, but with TS meals, they make kids order off of kid menu. My DS is 9 and I'll find out for sure what the policy on this is when we visit again in June :-)

We were there in December and our DD8 was allowed to order from adult menu at all of the restaurants we visited (both 1 and 2 credit meals). We were using the Deluxe dining plan.

There is no distinction between adult and child credits on the DELUXE plan. This only applies to Deluxe plan.

When using the REGULAR Disney Dining plan children must order from the children's menu at Table service restaurants.

At Quick Service meals children can order from adult menu on both the REGULAR and DELUXE plans.

I would not count on this being the case.

We have had the DxDDP for the past 5 years. Every TS restaurant but 1 (30 nights, 60+ TS meals) enforced the kids eat off the kids menu. Even when DD was 10 and DS was 8 she got an adult meal and he had to get a child's meal.

The lone exception to this was at Fultons. DS had been having a rough day and when the waiter let his sister order a lobster and he couldnt his poor heart broke so his dad and I took pity on him. We asked the waiter if we could order his meal and pay cash for it. The waiter said the system doesn't enforce the difference and to go ahead and order what ever he wanted.

It comes down to the server and the restaurant because if they let every child order adult then they would significantly cut into their revenue. I would not count on them letting you do that.

The QS is where there is no difference between adult and child.

Stacy

Last June I took my DGD she was 9 until our last day there when she turned 10. I for the same reason did the deluxe meal so she could eat steak, lobster, and such, for 15 days. On the deluxe plan it was allowed at every restaurant we ate at. If they said no here is the kids menu, I said we are on deluxe plan, they would then say, she can order anything she wants. 15 days, was 45 sit down table meals and at everyone she ate from the adult menu. Except for beaches and cream, she ate a kids meal and got an adult dessert, she wanted the Mickey pants with 4 scoops of ice cream. She was allowed to get it. No place ever said no once they knew we were on the deluxe plan. I think some people don't understand the deluxe plan from the regular plan. But it worked for us, and my DGD can eat, sushi, steak, lobster, crab, lamb, venison, bison and everything. I did it just for this, because me, I would never make it worth the price, but she loves trying new food so I got it so she could do it, and at the child's price with my adult price I thought it was worth while, but if I had to pay for two adults it would not be worth it to me.

I couldn't find the original announcement but as of May 31, 2016 Disney said it would no longer differentiate between a child and an adult at TS on the deluxe dining plan.
It is now allowed but, like many things Disney announces, the trickle down time may be extended. They are the largest single site employer in the US. It takes time to get 65,000 people all on the same page. If I find the original announcement I'll post the link.

I couldn't find the original announcement but as of May 31, 2016 Disney said it would no longer differentiate between a child and an adult at TS on the deluxe dining plan.
It is now allowed but, like many things Disney announces, the trickle down time may be extended. They are the largest single site employer in the US. It takes time to get 65,000 people all on the same page. If I find the original announcement I'll post the link.

DISNEY has never said that. It was reported on a blog when several changes were in the wind, but DISNEY never said it. If they wanted to say that, all they have to do is take the line out of their brochure that says KIDS MUST ORDER OFF THE KIDS MENU, but they have NOT taken that line out of the print or off their online explanation of the dining plans.

It is being allowed, but it is NOT a Disney policy.

Deluxe Disney Dining Plan

Excepting the Premium Package or Platinum Dining (both over $200/night per person!) that are not recommended for anyone, this is the upper echelon of Disney Dining Plans. By default, no resort tier receives this package for Free Dining, but you can pay the difference to upgrade to it.

For each person on the room reservation, the Deluxe Disney Dining Plan includes:

• three meals at your choice of counter service restaurants or table service restaurants (per night)
  • two snacks (per night)
  • one refillable drink mug (per stay)
The per-night price of the Deluxe Disney Dining Plan is $103.57 per adult and $37.62 per child during regular season, and more during peak season. This plan has had the most significant increases each of the last two years.

Those on the Deluxe Plan may officially mix their adult and child credits, meaning that child credits may be used for adult entrees. This has long been an unofficial loophole (and remains one for the lower tiers of the plans), but it’s now officially allowed on the Deluxe Plan.

If you have further questions that aren’t answered by these pages, check out Disney’s Dining Plan website. There are comprehensive and unnecessarily complicated PDF documents describing the various plans and their rules. Most importantly, the site has a list of participating restaurants (nearly every restaurant participates).

The per-night price of the Deluxe Disney Dining Plan is $103.57 per adult and $37.62 per child during regular season, and more during peak season. This plan has had the most significant increases each of the last two years.

Those on the Deluxe Plan may officially mix their adult and child credits, meaning that child credits may be used for adult entrees. This has long been an unofficial loophole (and remains one for the lower tiers of the plans), but it’s now officially allowed on the Deluxe Plan.

I'm repeating what I said on the other thread.

THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL DISNEY. Nowhere in any official Disney literature or online will you find the prices of the dining plans. They don't publish them.

This is still an UNOFFICIAL loophole. Disney's own PDF still states: GUESTS 3-9 MUST ORDER OFF A CHILD'S MENU WHERE AVAILABLE.

I would not count on this being the case.

We have had the DxDDP for the past 5 years. Every TS restaurant but 1 (30 nights, 60+ TS meals) enforced the kids eat off the kids menu. Even when DD was 10 and DS was 8 she got an adult meal and he had to get a child's meal.

The lone exception to this was at Fultons. DS had been having a rough day and when the waiter let his sister order a lobster and he couldnt his poor heart broke so his dad and I took pity on him. We asked the waiter if we could order his meal and pay cash for it. The waiter said the system doesn't enforce the difference and to go ahead and order what ever he wanted.

It comes down to the server and the restaurant because if they let every child order adult then they would significantly cut into their revenue. I would not count on them letting you do that.

The QS is where there is no difference between adult and child.

Stacy

This is interesting because the past 2 years on DxDP has been the exact opposite for us with no issue ordering from the adults menu with the exception of Tony's and that's because I had purchased a parade viewing package where they wouldn't allow it. Had I not had the package, they would have. My last trip there was last August, which is why I was trying to gauge if it was still happening (seems it is by some posts).

ETA - sorry just saw your follow up post after I posted my response.

I will add that it's actually in the server's best interest to allow this because it increases their tip. If anything, I can see the Manager not wanting to support it for potential lost revenue. I don't imagine this is a huge issue though because I don't think DxDP is as huge a thing as regular DDP and not all children are going to want to eat from the adult menu anyway. I just happen to have a 9 year old who acquired a love for filet mignon in the last couple of years.

Hi all- thought I would post what happened for us. We did a quick trip so didn't have a ton of places but below is a quick recap:

Teppan Edo - made kids order from kids menu

Yachtsman Steakhouse - any menu

Skipper Canteen - any menu

Captains Grille - any menu- favorite meal for my family! It was delicious!

Akershus - kids menu (total disappointment because their kids menu selections were awful and our server even charged us for my sons specialty lemonade!)

Rave- any menu

Sanaa - any menu but an AWFUL experience. Bad service. Bad food. Totally not impressed here.

We were there in December and our DD8 was allowed to order from adult menu at all of the restaurants we visited (both 1 and 2 credit meals). We were using the Deluxe dining plan.

There is no distinction between adult and child credits on the DELUXE plan. This only applies to Deluxe plan.

When using the REGULAR Disney Dining plan children must order from the children's menu at Table service restaurants.

At Quick Service meals children can order from adult menu on both the REGULAR and DELUXE plans.
Did you ask each time...like "she is going to order an adult entree okay" or did you just place your order like a boss? Lol

Did you ask each time...like "she is going to order an adult entree okay" or did you just place your order like a boss? Lol
Like a boss, LOL. We didn't ask, DD just sort of matter-of-factly ordered what she wanted from the adult menu. In every restaurant as we sat down our server would ask if we were using a dining plan. We said, "yes, the Deluxe plan." On a couple of occasions the server would in fact tell us she can order an adult meal if she would like without us even mentioning it. I think the servers like this because it boosts their tips.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter