Any one using WDW trip as Christmas present.

jillyjoey

DIS Veteran
We are going to Disney 12-14 thru 12-21,( not exactly Christmas, but cannot bear to spend Christmas without our 3 dogs.) We told our kids, 3 & 9, that the trip would be their Christmas present from us, of course, Santa will still visit our house. We were overwhelmed with the amount of toys they do not play with (especially our ds) and decided a trip would be a better option. However, now I am concerned that they will be bummed at not having "wrapped" presents under the tree. Good idea or bad?

BTW, this probably sounds like my kids are spoiled,... but we are making them earn their souvenir money. They will only get to spend what they earn before the trip. We have set a limit on this amount too, that is they can only earn up to a certain amount. I won't have a problem with the 3 year old but my ds is a pin freak and expects a pin for every ride that he gets on. (explains why he will only get to spend what he earns -- he only wants to spend when it is mom's money and decides that he does not really need "it" when it is his own.

Make sure they know that their Disney trip is their Christmas present beforehand so they can be prepared. Also coming back and not having anything special or new can be hard so why don't you get a couple of things to allow each child to make a scrapbook of the trip, then they can spend the time they might playing with new toys working on the book of memories.

My kids will be 5, 3, 10 months next Christmas and I've already told the oldest WDW is her Christmas present. I told her Santa is still going to come though(I didn't tell her but it will be quite a bit less than the last years).

I do plan on still getting something small but something they each will really love from Mom & Dad anyway. I think it would be a little disappointing not too.

We also will not be in WDW for Christmas so I think there will be a let down if they didn't get anything.

We did our trip in May as a christmas present for Christmas 2005. They also had a few toys and stuff and the trip was almost incidental because it was so long away.

Now that the time is shorter, they thank us practically everyday for giving them a big mid year Christmas present!

We always go on a trip at Christmas time which is the biggest part of the kids Christmas. They get so much from grandparents and other family they really don't need much from us! They have agreed to this. Santa always stops at the house as well!

We also take them on a trip in May for their bdays. They are only 2 weeks apart so instead of 2 parties and lots of presents we do a smaller trip. They love it and look forward to it. They do get presents on their bdays and they get to do something fun with best friend(movie and sleepover, ice skating, etc) but nothing over the top. They always look forward to this as well.

It has worked well for us for a few years now.

Our situation was a bit different. But Christmas of '04, my mother in law gave us a trip to WDW. It included her, her husband, my family of 4 and her daughter's family of 3. There wasn't any wrapped gifts and the kids seemed fine with it. Granted we didn't actually take the trip until this past June '05 but they had a blast. You mentioned though that Santa will still come, so I'm assuming that they will be some wrapped things under the tree? I think the little might not understand everything that's going on being only 3, but the older one should be fine. And I think it's a great idea that they have to earn their own money on souveniers. That's what we did. My boys (they're 9 & 10 now) always save up their birthday/Christmas/communion money. They each brought $100 of their own money and were only allowed to spend $20 each day. It gave them the opportunity to have to decide whether they wanted to spend $20 on a nice WDW shirt or $15 on a stupid toy. I think they did well with their choices. And I also think having to use their own money made them think twice of what they really wanted to buy.

We are doing the WDW as present this year. We have told the kids that this is their birthday and christmas present for this year. We have yet to decide if we are going to put anything else under the tree this year. I suppose it will all depend on the situation at the time.

We did this in 2004 with the kids. They did not get any other presents for the year, as the trip was Christmas, birthday, whatever present. My kids are much older than yours so that was just fine with them. And yes they are real picky about what to spend "their" money on.

Let them know it's a present. You are going at a great time mid Dec. the crowds are low. Take a day and resort hope to see the decorations at the resorts.

We are doing this as well, my kids are well prepared that the trip IS their main present, they will still have stockings and 1 gift for each of them under the tree but that is pretty much it.
They have known this since we picked the date and they are fine with it.
To us family time is way more important than material things under the tree anyway. We live in a society that has pulled away from this thinking and I really want to instill this in my kids.
They really only usually get 3 things and a weekend away with the family over New Years normally so this is what they are used to.

Just my 2 cents worth.

my family goes every other december, so the year we go it is all presents, x mas, b day you name it, we stay almost the enitre month so that particular year we reduce many things,
good luck and have fun

I was thinking of doing this same thing the week prior to Christmas but not until next year. I was thinking I could have "Santa" ship a very special something directly from Disney to Home for under the tree with a note that they were very good at Disney. Off the subject but is it possible to ship something to your home from a gift shop at Disney?

mousy_in_canada said:
To us family time is way more important than material things under the tree anyway. We live in a society that has pulled away from this thinking and I really want to instill this in my kids.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Amen to this. Couldn't agree more. It is almost parent competing against other parents to see who gives their kids more. My DS is mad at us because he is the only kid in our neighborhood that does not have a 4wheeler and cell phone. (1) I don't think my child has any business driving a 4wheeler (just my opinion so please don't be offended) if he cannot legally drive a car (2) why would I trust a 9 year old to manage such high dollar items when his dad has lost 3 cell phones this year, (3) I am unlike my neighbors and don't want to have to rent out a room in my house to be able to afford a 4 wheeler payment. Just had to rant here.

This is what we did last year for our kiddos...who were 11 and 13. They got a stocking, and one wrapped gift under the tree. And we really cut down the cost of the stockings this year....50.00 vs 150.00. We have 2 kids and spoil them at Christmas! :) It worked for us, and we took our trip in February.

:thumbsup2

We did this with our 3 kids too last 3 times at x-mas. My kids also get the stockings from Santa and 2 or 3 gifts under the tree but they know the rest they will get in WDW. I think it's a great idea because these days kids get so much and they only play with 1/2 the stuff. My kids enjoy the stockings more anyway then anything else. We also give them US money under the tree to remind them what is coming up.

Next trip: March or Feb 2007 at POR :banana: :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter