any one put food/water in checked luggage?

iluvepcot

Mouseketeer
SWA states in WEB that they do not recomend putting food or beverage in checked luggage. I wanted to pack juice boxes, small boxes of dry cereal, water and some snacks. It does not state that you can not do this but it is stated that they do not recomend this. I was wondering if anyone knew why?

Yikes I didnt know that wasn't recommended and my suitcase is full of a bunch of snacks for my dd! Please tell me I am not gonna have to repack again LOL

Doing the single digit banana dance! :banana:

Checked luggage is x-rayed and checked for explosives. The Transportation Safety Association (TSA) recommends that passengers should not to put food into checked luggage because some food items, especially chocolate and cheese, can register false alarms on the explosive detection devices.

I wouldn't put in water or beverage containers, because I'd be concerned with leakage due to the air pressure difference and how checked baggage is often handled roughly.

Keep in mind that luggage rides in the belly of the plane. The cargo area is not pressurized or heated. Your food/water will be exposed to temperatures significantly below freezing for most of your flight.

I freeze water bottles and Gatorade bottles and place them in a soft-sided cooler. I also take cream cheese and bagels as well as chips and other little snacks. I have never had a problem doing this in the past.

I do empty a little of the liquids out of the bottles before freezing so that there is some room for expansion. I also place the bottles in huge zip lock bags to prevent anything from leaking and making a mess.

I am a quack or I should say my hubby is. DH is from NC we live in UT. Well out west there is no Cheerwine soft drink or southern BBQ so when we go back to NC as we did last month DH put 4 12 packs of cheerwine in our golf bags and we carried on 6lbs of frozen BBQ. He even once put a gallon of apple juice in his suitcase and it was glass. For 11 years hes yet had any problems. Home comforts I guess. :)

I had heard not to check food in your luggage, so we packed in our carry on. Well, the TSA agent said something showed up in the x-ray and had to open it up. I noticed he inspected the food (boxed chocolates, etc). I didn't realize chocolates looked suspicious on their equipment.

I prefer people not put liquids in their checked luggage, because it's my luggage that took the hit when a bottle broke. Wht a mess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter