Any need to worry about theft on castaway cay?

debbs0723

DIS Veteran
Just wondering how you guys handle your cameras and/or video cameras on castaway cay? I'd like to be able to bring both off the boat and in my mind I'm thinking the average disney cruiser is not a theif so there is nothing to worry about if I keep them with my stuff. Neither of them are worth tons of money but the pics that will be on them will be priceless to me.

Thoughts?

Debbie

We practice the same caution with our valuables as we wold any place else. There are steel cable ties and lock downs in travel stores and on the web.

lockers would be great and I would have no problem shelling out some extra cash for one. I just don't want to miss good photo or video opportunites of the kids because we are worried about the cameras.

I think it'd be foolish not to consider normal precautions anyway. Like not leaving anything obviously valuable out in the open. It is Disney sure, but unfortunately there are bad apples everywhere.
That said, I left my stuff by my chair on the beach while I was at the shore line w/ my toddler and never felt worried. Don't sweat it. :thumbsup2

We've never worried about it because we practice safe vacationing everywhere. I feel your chances are much better with Disney cruisers, but it is funny what the nicest people will do when no on is watching. That's their true character. So even with better odds, don't tempt these folks. Buy a disposable camera before you get on board, then enjoy it on Castaway and around Nassau, because it surely will stay with you.

yes, things get stolen all the time at castaway cay. Cameras, Ipods, floats, etc. Just like they get stolen on the ship. "Disney" does not mean let your guard down. We have had many items stolen from the ship or CC. Even a lacrosse jacket with my DD's name embroidered on it. It was nothing special. Who would want that?

yes, things get stolen all the time at castaway cay. Cameras, Ipods, floats, etc. Just like they get stolen on the ship. "Disney" does not mean let your guard down. We have had many items stolen from the ship or CC. Even a lacrosse jacket with my DD's name embroidered on it. It was nothing special. Who would want that?

Just sad. I guess we will just have to go with a water camera that day

Son the theft concern raised here on the Disney Ship - is this in the stateroom or if you leave something out while in a public place on the ship? Just want to understand what experiences people have on Disney ship in this regard. I would expect the stateroom to be safer than leaving something in public of value on the ship.

What I do on vacation when I know I might leave the camera unattended at the beach or pool is to always start that day with a empty memory card. I leave the other memory cards with pics from the previous days in the safe. This way if the camera gets stolen at least i only lose that days pics.

We didn't have any problem with our stuff laying by our chair all day, but that doesn't mean you won't. I just bought a waterproof camera and kept it on my wrist all day. It worked out great because I always had the camera when I needed it too. I got the Canon D10 it's small, waterproof, and it takes video too.

I use to always just leave it on our chair and not even think twice. Now I have the Canon D10 that I take everywhere with me and I don't have to worry about it at all now, well worth the investment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter