Any Last Minute advice? Leaving for the I75..Soon!.

Daisy-J&D

DIS Veteran
Only four more days. I'm getting sooooo excited! This will be my first time driving in the states so if you have any last minute advice, that would be great. (ie. Can I turn right on a red?)

I have one specific question - How much money do I need for tolls? I've tried to find toll markings on in the I75 book but I can't find any. Does that mean there aren't any Tolls on I75? I know there will be some in Florida I need to look out for... I'm really bad at pulling up to pay stations so I'm a bit fearful of paying tolls!

Thanx!

Nope, no tolls on I75. You will meet 2 on the Florida turnpike. It's $2.00, I think, total. Nothing to worry about. Drive safe, and hug Mickey for me!

If not, get to the local library and get it!

Relax, Have a Fun Time!

Give Uncle Mickey a hug from us!

Happy Trails!

Scratch
pirate:

Just the tolls as mentioned in Florida.

Have a great trip.:D

Don't forgot to stay in the HOV lanes through Atlanta (they are the far left commuter lanes), and go I-75 through the city. Don't take the I-285 by-pass.

But - please go with the flow of traffic - this means about 70-75 mph through ATL even though the speed limit is 55mph.
You'll get run down if you don't. It's a bit scary because the drivers play weave in and out through about 6 lanes of traffic, but if you get to the HOV and stay there you shouldn't have any problems. Then resume watching your speed once through ATL.

Also try to time your lunch stop in Corbin Kentucky to visit the first KFC restaurant. Worth the stop, very interesting.

Last Tim Hortons at exit 29 almost at the Ohio/Kentucky boarder
:teeth:

Yes, you can turn right on the red ::yes::

Happy driving!

Originally posted by Yzma and Kronk
Don't forgot to stay in the HOV lanes through Atlanta (they are the far left commuter lanes), and go I-75 through the city. Don't take the I-285 by-pass.

Is there a good time to go through Atlanta? The way I've planned it, I think I'll be going through at around 10:00 am.

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm so surprised there are no tolls on I75. This is good!

Daisy-J&D...
Yzma and Kronk got here first...very right about the HOV lanes...I've raved about them many times...there is no bad time (at least based on my experience) to go through Atlanta as long as you use the HOV...last trip we went through at the afternoon rush hour and cruised through at 75 mph+ the whole way...I know that's hard to believe for all us 401 users :rolleyes:, but it's true....

Canadave is right - no real bad time if you use HOV.

When you get close to ATL - tune into WSB 750AM radio station and they have traffic every 10 minutes or so. This way you can check for the off chance of a accident (or wreck as they say here....;) ) Most often the accidents are on the I-285.
Going through ATL at 10am, you should be fine. Also if you tune into WSB during the week you'll get to hear my Fav. talk radio show - Neal Boortz......you'll get your eyes opened to another side of politics in this country!

Happy trails:earsboy:

I think that one of the Florida tolls is $2 and the other is $ .50. It's very handy to have exact change :) The only other piece of advice is to watch your signs carefully when going through Knoxville TN. Because you are on about 3 different Interstates that "share" with I-75, you need to watch for exits. This is about the only place where I-75 actually goes down to a one-lane exit! Keep your navigator alert and you'll have no problems. And if you do miss an exit, continue to the next one and turn around and come back :p

Have a great, safe trip!

Mary Liz

Everyone has beat me to the punch. The only other advice I can add is know what major city you're headed to next. Often the signs have the city in bigger letters than the I-75 south. If you're in Cincinnatti drive to Lexington, Knoxville drive to Chattanooga, etc. This makes it much easier to know which lane you want to be in. Go through the cities except Macon, GA where you want to take the bypass because it actually saves you miles.

Enjoy the trip, stop at the Welcome centers and count down the miles.

Have a great trip!!!:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

We too always go to Corbin Kentucky and visit the KFC . It is a museum- restaurant, that shows where it all started. Hubby likes the car wash beside it- a good place to stop for a break, have lunch and wash the salt off the car.

I'll attest to pampam's idea about the car wash beside the KFC...that's exactly what we did...and it is soooo cheap to wash your car compared to here...and yes,mmmm KFC ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter