Any ladies with hysterectomy experience? Update!

My hysterectomy would be to remove just the uterus due to a large fibroid causing heavy, uncontrollable bleeding. I've had my period for about 4 months now and I've had enough. Vacations ruined. Clothing ruined. Bedding ruined. Pretty sure I am single-handedly keeping the playtex company in business. We've tried a Mirena (for 2 years) and several different BCPs to no avail. We're ready for the nuclear option.
Do you have pain as well?

That's good, I'm glad. Did they start you on progesterone? That was the only thing that stopped my bleeding. A friend of mine went through this non-stop bleeding and they didn't start progesterone. She was miserable, like you are. She switched docs, went on progesterone, had a hyst, and is doing great now. I'm not sure why her first doctor didn't start it.

I had a complete hysterectomy about 7 years ago. It was due to 3 large fibroids, ranging from golf ball to baseball to grapefruit size. They say fibroids usually shrink post-menopausal? Well, mine didn't. Except for being kinda nervous until my biopsy came back, everything went fine. I was in the hospital from Friday morning, until Sunday about noon. Didn't drive for a week, mostly because the doctor didn't want the seatbelt on my stitches. It hurt when I sneezed or coughed (we still joke about that post-hysterectomy sneeze-"It's gonna hurt!") for about 5 weeks, but I was otherwise mostly OK after 1-2 weeks. Remember I was in my mid-50s, not the easiest age to bounce back from surgery.

That's good, I'm glad. Did they start you on progesterone? That was the only thing that stopped my bleeding. A friend of mine went through this non-stop bleeding and they didn't start progesterone. She was miserable, like you are. She switched docs, went on progesterone, had a hyst, and is doing great now. I'm not sure why her first doctor didn't start it.
No progesterone therapy. Just the birth control pill. After years of dealing with a cycle that comes and goes whenever it dang well pleases, I've had enough. And the fibroid is in the absolute ideal spot to cause heavy bleeding (I'm talking an ultra sized tampon every hour). So Monday I have to email her to discuss the timing of the surgery and what type well do. Just removing the fibroid isn't a great option as it will grow back and I'm only 40.

I had a hemorrhage back in 2010 and had to be rushed to the hospital because I was passing grapefruit size s clots one after another (so scary). Since then I've been begging one dr after another to give me a hysterectomy. They all said no for one reason or another (you might want more kids((no, I'm good)), the operation is too risky, you don't want to be in menopause yet). Now, with the cervical cancer, it's the treatment. I just have to wait til after my surgery to see if the cancer has spread and needs radiation first.

I do appreciate all the ladies being honest. It sounds scary and painful, but we all know the results are worth it.

I had a hemorrhage back in 2010 and had to be rushed to the hospital because I was passing grapefruit size s clots one after another (so scary). Since then I've been begging one dr after another to give me a hysterectomy. They all said no for one reason or another (you might want more kids((no, I'm good)), the operation is too risky, you don't want to be in menopause yet). Now, with the cervical cancer, it's the treatment. I just have to wait til after my surgery to see if the cancer has spread and needs radiation first.

I do appreciate all the ladies being honest. It sounds scary and painful, but we all know the results are worth it.

That's scary, and wrong, that you've begged and still couldn't get it done. I was told I needed to stop having periods, requested a hysterectomy, and my doctor agreed right away even though the urologist just suggested an IUD, Depo, or an ablation.

I had the same symptoms that you have. I was 43 at the time. I felt so much better after the surgery than the year leading up to the surgery!

I had a partial last May (uterus and cervix) for a prolapse issue. Mine was done vaginally. I spent the night in the hospital and really had very little pain. By the following morning I didn't feel like I really had "pain," I was just a little uncomfortable which was easily controlled by alternating Tylenol and motrin every four hours. By two days after the surgery I was walking about a mile a day (slow easy pace, no hills) and by a week out I was up to about three miles a day. No heavy lifting, housework, etc. for 6 weeks. Because I had a prolapse I have internal stitches tying everything up (ovaries, vaginal vault, etc.) since the prolapse pulled everything out of place. Because of that I have a permanent lifting restriction and I can't do some things because I could put too much strain on the stitches and pop them. If that happens I have to have a much bigger surgery with mesh (which I want to avoid). You should talk to your doctor about whether you'll have any permanent restrictions after surgery.

Had complete hysterectomy 7 years ago. My only regret was I didn't do it sooner. I had fibroid tumors and had needed one for about 5 years but put it off until I just couldn't take it anymore. Mine was laparoscopic. I stayed in the hospital overnight. I never really experienced any pain. Had some meds for the first couple of days and I was good. Of course no lifting etc for 4 weeks. I remember thinking if only I'd known I'd have had it much sooner!

Part of the discussion I need to have with her is whether I will be able to ride horses again after healing, or be able to do the strenuous physical demands of our farm life. If this surgery means restrictions permanently then I can't do it. Heck both of my spine surgeries have had little permanent residual effects other than I'm much more careful about how I lift this 50lb bags of feed and 75lb bales of hay...and the only thing bothering me when I ride is the permanent nerve damage has caused me to lose some feeling in my right leg and foot but I can compensate for it when I ride.

Part of the discussion I need to have with her is whether I will be able to ride horses again after healing, or be able to do the strenuous physical demands of our farm life. If this surgery means restrictions permanently then I can't do it. Heck both of my spine surgeries have had little permanent residual effects other than I'm much more careful about how I lift this 50lb bags of feed and 75lb bales of hay...and the only thing bothering me when I ride is the permanent nerve damage has caused me to lose some feeling in my right leg and foot but I can compensate for it when I ride.
I think Darcy's experience was different because she had a prolapse. Most people with routine hysterectomies will not have permanent restrictions, just temporary ones, and again, those are to prevent adhesions, or scar tissue that builds up when newly healing tissue is repeatedly ripped from too much activity, too soon. Adhesions cause pain down the road, and sometimes require re-op to fix, and part of why many women have this surgery in the first place is because of pain, so we definitely don't want to do anything right after the surgery that's going to create more pain down the road. ETA and fatigue is a real issue as well. It gets better, but it takes time. We have to remind ourselves that even though they're pushing us out the door :rolleyes: it is a MAJOR SURGERY and as such, takes us a while to recover from it.

I think the videos I mentioned earlier will ease your mind.

Weeks 1-2:

Weeks 3-4:

Weeks 5-6:

They also have a lot of other videos for other issues common to hyst and links to products that are helpful after surgery, etc.

Last edited:
Mrs. Homie had a partial hysterectomy about two years ago. She was in the hospital overnight, sent home the next day. She was pretty sore for about two days, kinda sore for the next four or five, then back to her full self within a week.

My doctor told me that the 1st two weeks after surgery were going to suck (his exact words) and that the next two weeks I would be uncomfortable and would need to take it easy.

I don't think I understand why you would be on permanent restriction. I can see a few months (like 2-3) but not forever. I'm finally getting back to my routine and that includes out at firing range with soldiers, climbing up in big trucks and wearing 30lbs of protective gear today. I had robotic laparoscopic and some cutting inside and you can heal going back to routine. I really trust and like my doctor and she made several incisions instead of just the typical 3 or whatever. I have 5 because the doctor cut up my uterus and other things taking them out piece by piece with the robotics. Maybe that is an option?

My doctor told me that the 1st two weeks after surgery were going to suck (his exact words) and that the next two weeks I would be uncomfortable and would need to take it easy.

My first 20 days were miserable. I am a hearty stock, high pain tolerance girl but this surgery kicked my *** all over the place. I think because I had laparoscopic surgery I expected it to be nothing not a big deal and just bounce back like I did after having cysts and other things removed earlier last year and my gallbladder removed. Hysterectomy is a big deal. I had to really understand that the uterus is a big piece of my body and very vascular part as well.
I suggest if you have somewhere to sleep on a couch half sitting up or in a recliner you do that. Also invest in some pads. Just saying..

With mine I had very strict restrictions the first six weeks, because they used the ligaments normally holding my uterus to support my bladder during that repair. I had to make sure those held properly, so was not allowed to do any lifting, driving, etc. (no sharp/fast movements). I was only mid-thirties and they did not want to have to go the mesh route, which often has to be replaced over time. I had huge fibroids, one was sitting on my bladder and caused a lot of ongoing issues. After 6 weeks I was gradually allowed to regain normal activity and have never been told not to do anything…

Having a horizontal incision where they go through muscle, you want to make sure it has time to heal properly. If possible, ask for stitches instead of staples! The other consideration is what happens inside. I, like the OP, had chronic bleeding and the accompanying anemia with it, so was used to that. But what surprised me was how long the inside took to heal. Maybe it's just because my cervix was removed as well, but it was uncomfortable and I had light bleeding on and off for about a year afterwards.

I will tell you though, I was totally amazed by how much better I felt right afterwards, even through the pain! Before with the fibroids I always felt bloated and sort of weighted down, what a release when they were gone!

Question for you ladies - can you feel that your uterus is missing after the surgery? I know I will need a hysterectomy at some point not the future to stop mybendometriosis from progressing, so I'm just wondering if you feel like something is missing.

I had a partial done in '99 due to a severely prolapsed uterus, and my cervix was literally seeing the light of day, lol. They went through my C-section incision scar. I was 34 at the time, and had a very quick and easy recovery. The first week was painful, but nothing too overwhelming. I also had a very easy C-section recovery, so maybe I just heal well. As a single mom then, with 3 year old, I couldn't just rest and relax but I was careful to not lift more than I was supposed to, but I do think being forced to run around pretty quickly was actually a good thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter