Any Ideas How To Do This? Buy food For Train?

justtobeme2

Mouseketeer
We are leaving next month by train, round trip. This is our first train experience and we are looking forward to it. Going down, its night travel so not worried about eating but coming back we leave around 12pm.

Here is my problem. We are on the DXDP, we upgraded FD because this will probably be our one and only time getting DX. We have a few meals I have yet to fill in, or be able to but that's Ok. We wouldn't even go to some of the signature events we are going to without the DXDP but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions at TS what we could order to take back to the room and take with us on the train. Well it doesn't have to be TS but counter service could work too I guess. Something that doesn't have to heated. We will be on the train all day long into the evening on the way home.

I am really hoping for some food suggestions and not only snacks. Any help appreciated.

Bring a few big ziplocs, disposable containers, and/or saran wrap with you. This will make your selections that much wider - because many places are not really well equipped for good packaging of to-go food....

I'd suggest CS - there are some great sandwiches, salads, etc that can be had for CS credits all over WDW which would hold well and not need reheating.

I'd skip stuff like sushi or mayonnaise-based stuff unless you'll have a cooler, but you could get things like the huge sandwiches at Starring Rolls (and don't forget the dessert options here) or Sunshine Seasons (who also has some interesting salads - I like the goat cheese and beets one), or ham and cheese croissants from the bakery in France, or tabouleh, hummus and couscous from the CS in Morocco, or ... lots of stuff.

We are planning to use the last of our quick service meals at Earl of Sandwich at DTD the day of our departure to eat on the plane. They have alot of yummy sandwiches and salads that could be take out. You could get these to have on your trip home.

but you could get things like the huge sandwiches at Starring Rolls

Their sandwiches have mayonnaise on them, and because they are pre-made they can't sell them without mayonnaise.

You could bring a large soft-sided cooler (kind of like a tote bag or purse) and some ziplocs. This is how we carried food around. You can use the Ziplocs to store the food AND to make ice packs since your hotel will have an ice machine (just make sure to double bag the ice). :thumbsup2

Sandwiches from Main Street, Starring Rolls, EOS will work. I think CS is your best bet.

You can't really carryout at at TS, so you would have to have an ADR, sit down, order, get it wrapped to go. Lots of time spent there plus you would also have to tip so your OOP expenses would go up.

A couple of issues you may not be thinking about.

I think you are saying the train leaves at noon, so you would be leaving WDW no later than 10:00 AM. max - If you wanted to pick up food that morning then you would only have breakfast options at that time. Also how long is this trip and when do you plan to eat?

Where are you staying and do you have a car? This may limit where you can get these meals without running around and taking 4 buses.

TS places do not generally do take out and never for a full meal. You would have to make an ADR, get seated and then order your food and then ask for takeout containers.

I have heard of the great food at Staring rolls but they pre-make their sandwiches and I have heard they can run out at 2:00 PM. Which leads to...

If the food needs refrigerated, which it most likely will, you may have to hold this food for around 24 hours. That means getting it into a fridge as soon as possible and then having a cooler ready with frozen ice packs which as I understand, resort fridges, unless you are in a suite, don't have a freezer.

While its great that you are trying to maximize your credits, in the long run it may be much easier to just see if there is maybe a Subway near the train station and get something right before you board.

TDC Nala said:
Their sandwiches have mayonnaise on them, and because they are pre-made they can't sell them without mayonnaise.

Darn! Is this really true? So both the turkey and ham come premade with mayo or mustard already on them? DH and I don't like these condiments...Guess I'll need a replacement CS lunch in the park I hate finding CS lunches! Lol.

Darn! Is this really true? So both the turkey and ham come premade with mayo or mustard already on them? DH and I don't like these condiments...Guess I'll need a replacement CS lunch in the park I hate finding CS lunches! Lol.

Yes, it's really true. I don't know about mustard, but I hate mayonnaise and was told there is mayo on both sandwich types and they can't do anything custom. The sandwiches are not made there. They are brought to Starring Rolls from elsewhere.

The day we leave the Poly, we always stop in Captain Cook's and get sandwiches made up to take with us. We ask them to leave off the mayo, and get packets of mayo to put on the sandwiches right before we eat them. We'll take the chips and a nice piece of dessert to go. We tell them we're going to the airport with the meal, and they'll wrap it up in a bag with implements, salt, pepper, and lots of napkins.

A couple of issues you may not be thinking about.

If the food needs refrigerated, which it most likely will, you may have to hold this food for around 24 hours. That means getting it into a fridge as soon as possible and then having a cooler ready with frozen ice packs which as I understand, resort fridges, unless you are in a suite, don't have a freezer.

QUOTE]

You don't need frozen ice packs. Every hotel has an ice machine. Ziploc freezer bags can be filled with ice and double bagged-voila ice pack no freezer needed!

Coolers aren't that hard to bring. I have one I bring for lunch everyday that is a soft-sided cooler the size of a large tote bag-it would fold down very easy in luggage on the way to the hotel.

As for the morning, OP could go somewhere the night before and pick up sandwiches and ask them to leave out condiments. Sandwiches could be stored in fridge in room, then packed with ice in soft-sided cooler for the train.

1. You don't need frozen ice packs. Every hotel has an ice machine. Ziploc freezer bags can be filled with ice and double bagged-voila ice pack no freezer needed!

2. Coolers aren't that hard to bring. I have one I bring for lunch everyday that is a soft-sided cooler the size of a large tote bag-it would fold down very easy in luggage on the way to the hotel.

As for the morning, OP could go somewhere the night before and pick up sandwiches and ask them to leave out condiments. Sandwiches could be stored in fridge in room, then packed with ice in soft-sided cooler for the train.

1. Yea they would work. Its just bags of ice seem to be a pain when traveling, but yes they would work.

2. I was just trying to come up with all the things the OP may have not have thought of in trying to make this work and how much hassle they may have to go through. Its just not like making your lunch the night before and grabbing it in the morning. :thumbsup2

If you can get there, Animal Kingdom's Picnic in the Park at Beastly Bazaar would be perfect for you. You get a choice of sandwiches, chips, dessert, and bottled drink. Everything is pre-packaged and you even get a neat bag to carry it all in! We've done it before as food for the car trip home and were happy with it.

Food to go thoughts

1. The marketplace at the Beach Club is a great place to get food to go. I believe they start serving lunch at around 11.

2. Trails end at Fort Wilderness had Fried chicken meals to go or a bucket of chicken

3. Earl of sandwich - Great individually wrapped sandwiches and sides (don't like the dessert selection here though)

4. I have gotten great salads to go with dressing on the side at Roaring Forks at the Wilderness Lodge and they have fabulous cupcakes that if you ask, they will box up to go. They also have good sandwiches you can get to go.

I would just use one of your DX coupons for counter service. If you are set on a TS, you could schedule your last night of TS at a restaurant that has a nice sandwich selection and order and eat there, but also order a meal to go (something like the Plaza at MK)

If you can get there, Animal Kingdom's Picnic in the Park at Beastly Bazaar would be perfect for you. You get a choice of sandwiches, chips, dessert, and bottled drink. Everything is pre-packaged and you even get a neat bag to carry it all in! We've done it before as food for the car trip home and were happy with it.

Beastly Bazaar is closed. It is being converted to a character meet and greet.

First - I recommend getting your food the night before to ensure that lunch/dinner type foods are available.

Second - If recommend going to a value resort - they have many choices in their grab and go sections for things like sandwiches and salads. Depending on your family, chicken nuggets and a side salad might also be a good choice (I don't mind cold chicken though).

The other option is to look at your table service meals where with a simple modification, the food would be good to go - Like Kona Cafe - if you use two sit down credits - sticky wings for the appetizer, a couple of steaks (use that wonderful soft bread to make sandwiches or purchase a loaf of bread at your resort), ask for the raw veggies served with the kids meal for your side (carrots and celery) and of course, get your dessert packed to go (everything except ice cream travels).

Depending on where you're staying - room service is also an option (at 2 credits but they cover the tax and tip). Many offer sandwiches (or again, order steak or chicken and make sandwiches) and appetizers that could be packed to go. If you talk to the room service person about what you're doing, they may even be able to modify things for you - or even pack them to travel.

I recommend staying away from potatoes and fries (unless you like them cold).

You could also order a whole pizza from a counter place (I think it's 2 credits) and pack that to go - I know alot of people (including myself) are okay with cold pizza.

the only place with completely plain sandwiches - ie just turkey/ cheese and ham/ cheese that I recall is Main Street Bakery in MK. Everywhere else has some form of mayo.

TDC Nala said:
Yes, it's really true. I don't know about mustard, but I hate mayonnaise and was told there is mayo on both sandwich types and they can't do anything custom. The sandwiches are not made there. They are brought to Starring Rolls from elsewhere.

Very interesting. Thanks for the further info!

Good Morning Dewdrop said:
the only place with completely plain sandwiches - ie just turkey/ cheese and ham/ cheese that I recall is Main Street Bakery in MK. Everywhere else has some form of mayo.

Well this is probably true, but it's the pre-made part that got me re: Starring Rolls. For ex., I've had the ham waffle sandwich from Sleepy Hollow at MK, but b/c they make it fresh, I was able to ask for the no mayo/dressing. W/o the fresh option at SR, I'll have to cross that off my list.

Sorry to hijack the thread!

The tabouleh etc. sound like great ideas but unless you have a sealed container to store them in and a nice cold pack and cooler to keep them in, I don't see it happening. Most sandwiches come pre-prepared, so you have to live with it or scrape it off and still wrap them well and keep them cold for a considerable amount of time. Concerns of bacteria growing, I don't know how much time you're really talking about here.

Pastries will be boxed but will get stale quickly unless put into some type of foil/celophane.

This all seems a bit daunting and not very appetizing, but hey, good luck and let us know how you fared!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter