Any experience with Moby Dick's or Marvin's in Grand Cayman?

pooh_mania

Mouseketeer
We are a family of four - 2 adults, 7 DD, 6 DS. I would like to book a tour to Stingray City in Grand Cayman. I've seen favorable reviews for both of these companies. Does anyone here have first hand experience with either one?

TIA!
TK

We did Captain Marvins. It was super easy to find. When you come onto the street look left and you will see it on the opposite side of the street. It was alot of fun for the whole family. A frivete tour guide took us in a van to see Hell which we thought was really neat, never saw anything like it, We stayed about 10 minutes and left. Then we went to the Turtle farm which, my goodness I have never seen so many turtles. The kids loved it as they were allowed to pick up turtles from out of the water tanks and hold them.
We got tons of good pictures. Then we were dropped off with some other groups at a pier that Captain Marvins works out of.We had a nice ride out to the sandbar. Thought the kids might be scared but they loved it. The sandbar was shallow enough where my DS 5 felt very comfortable. Tons of stingrays around us everywhere. They were very nice. We then made another snrkeling stop, very nice. Had a great day.

That sounds like a great tour. We are looking to possibly book with Captain Marvins or Red Sail Sports because we will be traveling with our 1 year old son and the Disney tour says that it is for ages 5 and up but when you go through these other tours not only do they allow a 1 year old but they are also free.

We would like to do the Sting Ray Sand Bar but I am wondering if it would be possible for 1 of us to stay on the boat while the other snorkles and then switches? or does everybody have to get off the boat at the same time?

I cannot say enough about Captain Marvin's! They are great. We have booked with them on both of our visits to Grand Cayman. We did a 1/2 day private charter but know others who did the regular excursion and also had a fantastic time. They have been in business for a very long time and were among the first to do trips to Stingray City. They have a great reputation and are great to work with.

Here's a link to the Grand Cayman page of my trip report in case you'd like to read about our 1/2 day charter. It's post #68...the 8th one on the page.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1636950&page=5

We used Nativeway in December when we cruised on the Legend:thumbsup2

FANTASTIC service and price

we had a small group less than 15 aboard (all the other peeps were from the DCL ship in port lol)

Had booked their Ray, Reef & Rum Point Excursion

The guide was the best i've ever had on any excursion in addition to what we had booked; we also stopped @ the Coral Gardens for additional snorkeling & starfish & had so much time with the Rays. Felt bad for the big boats where the folks were crowded

see my TR on the Universal Studios Trip Report thread (evidently links are disabled here today:confused3 ) post #50 forward for pics:banana:

We used Nativeway in December when we cruised on the Legend:thumbsup2

FANTASTIC service and price

we had a small group less than 15 aboard (all the other peeps were from the DCL ship in port lol)

Had booked their Ray, Reef & Rum Point Excursion

I second the recomendation for Nativeway! We took the same tour with my kids. They had a lifevest for DD that she used both for snorkeling and the stingray portion. Anyone can stay on the boat if they are not comfortable with the rays but the guides are really good with the kids (are nervous adults too)! Loved the small group on our boat!

UMTerp

We're been trying to go to Stingray City with Moby Dick since 05, the first two times the seas were to rough in GC so we're looking forward to chance #3 in March!! At least the second time we got on the island but the water out by SC was too rough so all of the tour operators (the reputable ones that is) cancelled their SC tours.

We loved Capt. Marvin's. Very clean boat, super nice staff. When we were out with the stingray's the waves were fairly choppy and it was too much for the younger kids to get in the water. The deck hand brought a small ray to the back of the boat so the little kids could see and touch it without having to get in the water. I thought that was great! :thumbsup2

We would like to do the Sting Ray Sand Bar but I am wondering if it would be possible for 1 of us to stay on the boat while the other snorkles and then switches? or does everybody have to get off the boat at the same time?

We did Cap'n Marvin's in April, and the night before, DS3 got very nervous about the stingrays when we told them what we were going to do the next day. He was even sick to his stomach over it. We debated if we should cancel or not, but we went anyway. DH and both boys stayed on the boat while I swam with the rays. The water was VERY choppy, and I know they wouldn't have been able to stand in the water if they had gotten out. The other kids around their ages (also from DCL and DIS'ers) were being carried in the water by the parents. We didn't want to force them into the water and have them screaming because they were scared, so they stayed dry. :thumbsup2 DH then did the snorkeling while I stayed in the boat with the boys. Our snorkeling stop wasn't very long at all. If I had wanted to snorkel, too, I don't think there would've been enough time, but maybe it was because of the water conditions. :confused3

We had a great experience with Moby Dick tours in November. The boat is smaller than many of the other excursion boats and the crew were very attentive and made the trip a lot of Fun!!:thumbsup2

The crew got in the water with us and made a point to help each guest hold and even kiss the stingrays.

We also made a stop at a beautiful coral reef near Stingray City.

Thank you for all of your helpful replies.

Sorry to reply to my own post. I did have a question about sea sickness. The last time I was in Key West we went on a glass bottom boat tour. I turned so green that I couldn't enjoy the excursion. :sick:

I know we can't control the seas, but are there any operators that have boats that are better for motion sickness?

TIA!!

you're in a relatively small boat (even the double deckers); depending on weather the water can be choppy

i swear by the patch:thumbsup2

How far in advance did you book with these companies?

Due to changing port itineraries due to storm season we didn't book until a few weeks before hand with Nativeway

they do have a new york # you can find on website (or just email them, very easy to work with)

the request a fax of CC to hold your spot, i just called w/my CC info then paid cash when we took the tour; plus a generous tip for the guide:)

Has anyone done a fishing excursion with Captain Marvins, Moby Dick or Nativeway. We are really interested in doing one but have not been able to get any recommendations?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!