Any 'Cruisers' Here?? Miami or PC??

My 2 princesses

Can't Wait To Go Back...I've Been Bitten By The Bu
We have neevr cruised before but now my DH is pushing me to book something soon, like for January. So I see they have some real good GT rates out of PC, but if you use the 25% off CDN discount, you can get a real good rate out of Miami as well. Miami wins as it's an extra day vs a Verandah stateroom but 1 less day out of PC (that is at this point, but with GT's anything can change).

The kicker is, we want to spend a few days at WDW as well. DH thinks we should fly into MIA (and I don't think there are direct flights out of BUF) and finish the cruise and get a rental car one way to WDW. To me, this looks like a lot of work esp since both of us don't like driving in unknown territory.

WWYD?

That is tough one, but for a first cruise I would pick the Wonder out of Miami. The Dream is new and modern but for a first cruise the Wonder will be beautiful and still have a great Wow factor, and lots of great Disney shows, If it less expensive and more days all the better. 3 or 4 days on the Dream is way too short.

We have done 4 day cruises on both the Wonder and Dream, and found the Dream cruise to be much more hectic, there is a lot more people and more things to do and we felt like eveyone was stressed out and rushing to get it all in.

Renting a car at the Airport in Miami is easy, ( Alamo used to have a free shuttle from the Airport to the dock) and it is about a 3 hour drive to Orlando.

Thank you for your reply. Did you use a TA or book by yourself. I have heard on the cruise board about onboard credits etc, but not sure if that applies to Canadian TA's. I'm all for a deal so I can go back on another trip sooner:rotfl2:

I agree that the cruise out of Miami might be the better deal. And driving up to WDW is not difficult at all, nor is dropping off your rental car once you get to Disney.

We always, always, always use a TA for our cruises. Especially for a first timer, a good TA knows all the questions to ask, and will help you get exactly what you want. Make sure you get a good travel insurance package, too. I would also recommend that you fly into Miami the day before the cruise departs- that way you shouldn't have a problem if your flight is delayed for any reason.

Are there direct flights to Miami from Buffalo or surrounding airports? And what hotel would you recommend for the one night?

I would recommend going to Disney and then doing the cruise. we were so relaxed after our cruise that we spent most of our time laying in bed at the hotel or pool side. Walking around the parks seemed like a lot of work. hahahaha

I would recommend going to Disney and then doing the cruise. we were so relaxed after our cruise that we spent most of our time laying in bed at the hotel or pool side. Walking around the parks seemed like a lot of work. hahahaha

Good point. DH said that we should eliminate the parks and just chill at the resort, but in the next breath he said the kids would be disappointed. But you have a very valid point. Something to consider.

Jetblue has direct flights from Buffalo to Fort Lauderdale in January. This is about 45 minutes from Miami.

We are actually doing this very trip in October. Flying into FLL (once they release the schedule), stay in Fort Lauderdale for a day or two, go on a 5 day cruise out of Miami then drive to Orlando for two days at WDW before flying from there back to BUF.

Not a single comment of classic vs. new ships yet? Wow. Honestly classic vs. new doesn't really matter much. First cruise was on the Wonder which is a great ship. Dream does have added features like the Aquaduck which our 8 yr old LOVES. Okay, I love it too (but I am definitely not 8).

If you do add on WDW do it before the cruise. As another post said you will be very relaxed by the time it is over. Still Disney, but the cruises have such a different pace than you get at WDW I can see how it would be hard to do WDW afterward.

Final comment. Be prepared to get hooked on cruising. We went through Hurricane Irene in 2011 and yet still booked 2 more cruises while on board.

Jetblue has direct flights from Buffalo to Fort Lauderdale in January. This is about 45 minutes from Miami.

Haven't done anything out of Miami . . . . yet.:thumbsup2 If it is 45 min then it compares well to the time from MCO to the Port (about the same) and a over an hour from the resorts at WDW (could be a lot longer depending upon how many resorts the bus stops at if using DCL transfers).

As for DCL transfers you will also get mixed opinions. Some people love to be first at the Port. Buses generally don't leave the resorts till noon-ish. I would recommend the DCL transfer if you are not one of 'those' people. Best perk is they pick up your bag from your room around 8 am and it magically appears outside your stateroom.

We have neevr cruised before but now my DH is pushing me to book something soon, like for January. So I see they have some real good GT rates out of PC, but if you use the 25% off CDN discount, you can get a real good rate out of Miami as well. Miami wins as it's an extra day vs a Verandah stateroom but 1 less day out of PC (that is at this point, but with GT's anything can change).

The kicker is, we want to spend a few days at WDW as well. DH thinks we should fly into MIA (and I don't think there are direct flights out of BUF) and finish the cruise and get a rental car one way to WDW. To me, this looks like a lot of work esp since both of us don't like driving in unknown territory.

WWYD?

No direct flights from BUF to Miami.

Flights to FLL are always more then MCO.
ie: Jan 2012 flight to MCO $660 Jan 3012 flight to FLL $800

Driving time is the same from MCO to PC and FLL to Miami. Both approx 45min.

Everything is more expensive in Miami/FLL then Orlando. Rental car, Pre-cruise hotel room. Usually double when we sail out of FLL or POM.

We have sailed DCL & Carnival, NCL , RC several times each and from various resorts.

When you add everything up..sure the cruise price is cheaper in Miami but everything else makes up for it.

I'm not sure when you were looking to go but there is the Miami Marathon Jan 27th. Prices for hotels and such are more then usual because of it.

WWYD?

Check out cruise critic dot com there is alot of great information on the boards over there as well

My 2 princesses said:

WWYD?

Just to add to your decision....

They've just released kids sail free from Miami for January and February. Not listed on site yet but use code KFM and the deal comes up! If only we could go a week earlier we'd save $1600!!

Some really great advice above!

The drive from Miami to Orlando is really easy so you don't need to worry about that part if you choose Miami. My only advice in addition would be to be very careful about the hotel you choose if you overnight in Miami. Avoid the airport area hotels.

We prefer (as others have suggested) to do WDW first then relax on the cruise afterwards. That way your kids can enjoy the kids clubs on the ship while you enjoy some time in the adult areas (after a few days in WDW, parents are usually ready for time away from the kids and kids are VERY ready for some time away from their parents).

If you do choose to go out of Port Canaveral, I'd highly suggest using a limo service (Happy Limo is one we've used a couple of times) to get to the port. They're cheaper and faster then Disney's Magical Express (though some people do prefer to pay the extra for the whole Disney experience).

Some really great advice above!

The drive from Miami to Orlando is really easy so you don't need to worry about that part if you choose Miami. My only advice in addition would be to be very careful about the hotel you choose if you overnight in Miami. Avoid the airport area hotels.

Can you explain some more? Why avoid the airport area hotels? We were thinking of staying at the airport the night after the cruise?

Going on our first cruise (the Dream from PC).
We actually found it cheaper to fly to Melbourne, FL instead of into MCO.
We are flying through the US.

Thanks everyone for your input. After a lot of going back and forth, we finally booked a 3 night out of PC just today:cool1: It's only a 3 night, but we will spend a few days at the resort before and after our cruise to make it a 5 to 7 day vacation. The rate was good and as a first time cruiser, we thought it was better to leave from PC as we are more familiar with that location than Miami. It's just 35 days before our first ever cruise. Can't wait:banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter