Any cigar fans buy during a cruise?

Moxin

Mouseketeer
I've got a friend who really enjoys cigars, and I wanted to get him some while on my upcoming cruise...going to St Thomas, St Maarten.

I know || this much about cigars...

Has anyone ever purchased any while out there in the Caribbean? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

I've got a friend who really enjoys cigars, and I wanted to get him some while on my upcoming cruise...going to St Thomas, St Maarten.

Has anyone ever purchased any while out there in the Caribbean? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

If you are planning on buying Cuban cigars, you cannot legally bring them back into the US. You can, however, smoke them while you are on your cruise (I know that does not help if you are looking for a gift to bring home). The cigar store I visited earlier this year, did make a copy of my passport before they would sell me anything. Hard to say why that was needed. It did make me nervous that I was going to be searched upon my return (even though I was not bringing back any cigars whatsoever).

Bottom line, you can buy entirely legal (non Cuban) cigars on the Disney ship at very good prices. I would not waste my time hunting down cigar stores on the islands that are oftentimes known for relabeling cigars (selling less expensive cigars with a more expensive label taken from another cigar). Best just to get them on the ship before you get back.

DWF

If you are planning on buying Cuban cigars, you cannot legally bring them back into the US. You can, however, smoke them while you are on your cruise (I know that does not help if you are looking for a gift to bring home). The cigar store I visited earlier this year, did make a copy of my passport before they would sell me anything. Hard to say why that was needed. It did make me nervous that I was going to be searched upon my return (even though I was not bringing back any cigars whatsoever).

Bottom line, you can buy entirely legal (non Cuban) cigars on the Disney ship at very good prices. I would not waste my time hunting down cigar stores on the islands that are oftentimes known for relabeling cigars (selling less expensive cigars with a more expensive label taken from another cigar). Best just to get them on the ship before you get back.

DWF

Not a bad idea, and I'd hate to get suckered into buying something low quality, and overpriced...and god forbid I accidentally buy Cubans and bring them back.

Also please continue with your research as many cigars sold on these islands to cruise passengers are fake Cuban cigars. There are several reputable establishments and even there I would still look for the earmarks of fakes. As always, buyer beware. There are some great websites out there to help with this and several DISBoard members who really know what they are talking about.

Thanks!

Duty free stores sell legit Cuban cigars. And no, you can't bring them back "legally" into the US, because Cuba is our enemy. Fidel Castro turned 87yesterday btw. However, Americans have been known to bring Cuban cigars back into the US. If you have ever gone through customs coming back into the US at PC, you know that your chances of getting caught are slim to none.

I bet you could be chugging out of a bottle of Havana Club, while puffing on Fidel cigar and customs wouldn't say a thing. At least that has been my impression at the end of my DCL cruises.

Mike

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter