Any Canucks having issues at the border and/or Airports?

kittyab

DIS Veteran
We are planning for next spring but all the news how Canadians being treated at the border is making us think twice about our trip.

Any reports?

I haven't heard of anyone personally but I have been watching the Canadian news and saw a few cases of Canadians being refused entry. I'm not sure what's going on but we are Canadians living in the USA (legally) and have opted not to leave the country this summer with all the uncertainty.

Lots of March breakers have been down to Florida and back without posting about having had any trouble and I'm quite certain we would have heard if anyone on this board had issues as we're all about the shared experiences.

I haven't heard of anyone personally but I have been watching the Canadian news and saw a few cases of Canadians being refused entry. I'm not sure what's going on but we are Canadians living in the USA (legally) and have opted not to leave the country this summer with all the uncertainty.

If you are legal aliens, why would you be worried about travelling to Canada? We are also Canadian citizens living (legally) in the USA, and we have traveled across the border with no issues. As long as you have your passports, your Visas, and current copies of your I94's, you should have no problems at all.

We just got back after the March Break. We drove across to Buffalo and it was business as usual. No extra questions and didn't see anyone's cars entering the U.S. having any trouble or being pulled aside.

OP, I think one big thing to keep in mind is that the "news" is largely sensationalized. If the media can stir alarm, it's good for business. Hysteria sells.

I am not saying that the reports of the those claiming they had issues at the border are not true, but I would suspect they are nowhere near the norm. Thousands of people cross the border every day....in both directions.....with no undue delays if they have their proper documentation and they are not attempting to do anything unlawful in the process. I am sure the odd person had issues when crossing the border long before the recent restrictions were imparted by the current President and that will continue to happen long after the administration changes in the years to come.

I realize the news can be sensational etc but I've seen enough to know there is something going on. Did you see the about TN visas nurses Being denied entry? I'm not willing to take the risk of it this summer.

I've been back and forth at least 5x in the past 3 months with zero issues at all.

I realize the news can be sensational etc but I've seen enough to know there is something going on. Did you see the about TN visas nurses Being denied entry? I'm not willing to take the risk of it this summer.

TN visa nurses being denied entry is a completely different issue, though, than the OP wanting to cross for a short-term Florida vacation.

Those nurses have been advised that their occupation no longer qualifies under the TN category (they have been reclassified to H1B). Their refusal was because they no longer meet work requirements, which are VERY strict for non-Americans (as I'm sure you already know). Those individuals were not crossing for a Disney holiday.

I'm still nervous, this is possibly our last summer here... I don't have to travel so I'm choosing not to. Besides more money for Disney this way :p

Just read the article, it says the issue was caused by someone suddenly having a different interpretation of NAFTA and what constitutes a registered nurse..... basically it shouldn't have been an issue. I don't need that kind of hassle, even if in the end they have been allowed, someone had to pay a lawyer and if they had been flying they would have missed their flights. Going on a trip to Disney is entirely different than crossing with the intent to stay and in my opinion those of us with visas are at a higher risk as we have money tied up in homes and investments etc.

Last edited:
Yes one family member was subjected to 2nd level clearance due to holding dual citizenship with Turkey, not included in travel ban but extra questioning anYway.... never an issue before

Last edited:
Actually, we did notice a difference crossing this time. We generally cross the border 3-4 times per year primarily for shopping and vacation travel. For the first time ever we were pulled over for secondary inspection last week. The agent at the drive through indicated that it was a random computerised selection. We pulled to the side, went inside where another agent asked us a few more questions, then he went outside to snoop through our vehicle for maybe 5 minutes. He came back inside, smiled, handed us back our passports, and bid us a fine vacation. Whole process added about 15 minutes to the crossing time. Everyone was civil throughout. Painless, but a bit nerve wracking nonetheless.

This did seem to be new to me as I have never experienced the random search before; a couple of other random groups seemed to be inside, and a family came in shortly after us on an excursion to Watertown to watch a junior hockey game.

I grew up and live right by the US border. I probably cross 20 or more times a year. I've had random check occasionally over the years. I will fully admit I was nervous crossing last month for our trip to Disney (we drove). We crossed at Gananoque. I usually cross at Cornwall or Johnstown (Prescott) or take a boat across. Agent asked if we were Canadian citizens, where we were going, then asked why I wasn't wearing any ears when I told him we were going to Disney. Great experience crossing.

I felt silly for being so nervous, but I understand where OP is coming from. We do tend to get caught up in the stories we hear on the news. The headline never says "Canadian couple traveling to Disney has great experience crossing the border!".

I crossed over in the Nexus lane last week. There were 9 cars in the line ahead of me. It took 45 minutes for 8 of them to get through. The car in front of me and myself were sent right through, myself no questions asked other than where I was going which is usually all that is asked in Nexus. I have never waited anywhere near that long in the Nexus lane to get through - obviously more questioning or something was going on. I also read about two van loads of university students that tried to cross at Windsor last week on a volunteer trip with Habitat for Humanity, one van was let through the other wasn't and a newspaper article stated basically the US border crossing people have been given full power and do not have to have or express any reason for turning someone back which has greatly increased morale.....doesn't sound good to me :( We have a cruised booked for next February, I usually book our flights as soon as they are available (now) but I think I will hold off for a bit and see how this pans out.

We just got back,,,,it was very busy ,,,rushed,and stressful experience. My kids have decided not to go to Disney next year,or anywhere in the USA.
Many families we spoke to are saying they will not return next year. Since I won't violate the DIS rules on Politics all I can say is I hope things get better.
Best wishes to all those traveling in the future.
Hugs Mel

We just got back,,,,it was very busy ,,,rushed,and stressful experience. My kids have decided not to go to Disney next year,or anywhere in the USA.
Many families we spoke to are saying they will not return next year. Since I won't violate the DIS rules on Politics all I can say is I hope things get better.
Hugs Mel

So sad to hear things like this. I am really hoping our dear friends don't have issues coming to our wedding in November. They have said they are keeping an eye on things and aren't worried but for every it was okay story there seems to be a story about troubles.

Hugs Mel

I'm sorry to read this. We have already decided that our trip next month will be our last one to the USA for a while. Between possible border issues and our cruddy dollar, it just does not seem as worth it as it used to be.

DH, DS and I were all born in Canada and are travelling to California in Canadian passports so I don't think we will have any issues but I know that DH is totally unwilling to be subjected to any additional screening or questioning over an above what we have gone through on our last 10 trips.

We just got back from the US(March break trip) and had no issues what so ever. Saw no difference at all on crossing the bridge. We are usually asked if we are driving or flying south and this time only asked what we had to declare, nothing more.

We live 45 minutes away from the border and cross often to shop/dine and to travel from the airport. The recent news stories do not pertain to anyone that is crossing for leisure. I certainly will continue with my usual visits to the US.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter